Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
It's working again. I really didn't do anything to try to fix it, except I opened the 'locked screen' in system settings and changed it back and forth a couple of times. I guess it overwrote a settings file or something.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This has suddenly happened to me also, on the mac in my signature. I've had sreensaver set to ten minutes, and display sleep set to one hour. Computer is set to never sleep. I've had it like this for many years, over many versions of macOS, and many different Intel/ARM mac models.

Suddenly it's not working. Screensaver just runs and runs. I have not changed anything lately; not macOS v., not installed or upgraded any software, all connected peripherals are the same.

Did you find any solution to this?

Yes: Turning off wifi fixes it for me.

It's some bug in the OS. I haven't downloaded the latest Sonoma to see if its fixed yet.....

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Yes: Turning off wifi fixes it for me.

It's some bug in the OS. I haven't downloaded the latest Sonoma to see if its fixed yet.....
I never use wifi, only ethernet. Fiddling with the settings seemed to fix it. Not really a bug, I think.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This thing suddenly has showed up again. I've tried to change the settings for screen sleep timer in systemsettings/lockscreen, no luck yet. I have screen sleep set to a "hot corner", that works just fine. I guess I'll try changing the settings a few more times. But this really seems like an out of the blue, random kinda thing.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm pretty sure I've found the culprit.
The TV app.

After some checking back and forth with the displays sleep and screen sleep settings in systemsettings/lockedscreen without success, and confirming that my "hot-corners" for screen sleep/auto-off does actually work, I asked myself; what's keeping these functions to not kick in. They obviously work.

Of course, it could have been some device or network activity causing it, but I've been running lots of applications in the background the last few weeks (simply because I now have the luxury of 32GB RAM), and my first suspect was the TV app. Which I almost never use, but I got a month free TV+ in december.

I quit the TV app, and screensaver and screen auto-off works again.
I also noticed while checking TV app settings, some strange behaviour and blank windows and the app hiding for no reason, so it seems to me there is something not right with it. This is TV 1.3.6 on macOS 13.6.1.

Added: I wonder if TV app being fullscreen in its own space has something to do with it, like having a browser streaming fullscreen video stops screensaver and screen-off from kicking in.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Added: I wonder if TV app being fullscreen in its own space has something to do with it, like having a browser streaming fullscreen video stops screensaver and screen-off from kicking in.

Try Ohanaware's Sleep Aid - it should give you some ideas for culprits.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I wrote:

What did you not understand?

The correct response, is "thankyou".

What I understand, is that the apparent culprit is often a symptom of something else, and not directly causative.

But I also understand that attitude, so 🖕🖕.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.