Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hi all I have a MP 7,1 with dual Studio Displays connected via 6900XT and the Belkin DisplayPort/USB to USB-C adapter to the Studio Displays.

The monitors won't go to sleep and everything is set up correctly.

I am on Ventura 13.5.1. It used to work and now it doesn't?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Hi all I have a MP 7,1 with dual Studio Displays connected via 6900XT and the Belkin DisplayPort/USB to USB-C adapter to the Studio Displays.

The monitors won't go to sleep and everything is set up correctly.

I am on Ventura 13.5.1. It used to work and now it doesn't?

the computer sleeps, but the displays stay powered up?

Reactions: h9826790

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Belkin DisplayPort/USB to USB-C adapter to the Studio Displays
This statement confuses. Studio Displays require Thunderbolt connections and come with TB cables. Where does this Belkin adapter fit in the picture?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
This statement confuses. Studio Displays require Thunderbolt connections and come with TB cables. Where does this Belkin adapter fit in the picture?

Studio Displays also support Data Streams via USB-C.

So if you have a DisplayPort output only for example with the 6900XT, you can use this belkin cable and connect to the Studio Displays with no issues.

Only issue I have right now is them sleeping but I don't think that's related to this. Seems like a macOS bug because it used to work.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Studio Displays also support Data Streams via USB-C.
Interesting. If DisplayPort is supported over USB-C, it would have to be DP 1.4 high bandwidth to drive the display… but I guess it makes sense it might work, although I dont see how any of the display features would be supported - speakers, camera, USB hub.

cinclodes

macrumors member
May 12, 2022
I'm not familiar with your setup, but for a different setup it took a long time to figure out why the display/computer kept waking up. It turned out to be a defective mouse.

equals

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Interesting. If DisplayPort is supported over USB-C, it would have to be DP 1.4 high bandwidth to drive the display… but I guess it makes sense it might work, although I dont see how any of the display features would be supported - speakers, camera, USB hub.
There are one DisplayPort and two Type-A connectors on one side of the cable and a single Type-C on the other. Thus, video signal comes from DP and other features utilize USB.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
There are one DisplayPort and two Type-A connectors on one side of the cable and a single Type-C on the other. Thus, video signal comes from DP and other features utilize USB.
Sweet. Nice. Can you add a link to this thing. I tried to Google what you have described but I keep finding single USB-to-DP adapters not adapters with two Type-A. This is one to keep in the “virtual” toolbox. Thanks.

equals

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Sweet. Nice. Can you add a link to this thing. I tried to Google what you have described but I keep finding single USB-to-DP adapters not adapters with two Type-A. This is one to keep in the “virtual” toolbox. Thanks.
There is a link in SDAVE's post you replied to a couple messages above :)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
All features are supported, the 2 USB connections allow brightness/volume control and camera/mic and full control.

This is definitely a macOS bug because they used to go to sleep with no problem.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Could someone help with this? I tried everythig.

I am on Sonoma now and same issue :(

Sleep does work when I go to Menu > Sleep it puts displays and Mac Pro to sleep but the displays don't go to sleep if the screen saver starts.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
@Bigwaff you might also take a look at the Alternative to the Belkin VR Cable.

(…) but the displays don't go to sleep if the screen saver starts.
Although I do not understand why starting the screensaver should trigger putting the displays to sleep and not the [Lock Screen > Turn displays off] setting, apparently it did work for you previously.

A workaround is a cron job that periodically checks if the screen saver is active and then puts the displays to sleep with pmset displaysleepnow

AppleScript:
turn_off_screen_mod()
on turn_off_screen_mod()
    ### Sleep displays if Screen Saver is active ###
    try
        set screenSaverActive to (do shell script "ps ax|grep [S]creenSaverEngine > /dev/null") as string
        do shell script "pmset displaysleepnow"
    end try
end turn_off_screen_mod

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
@Bigwaff you might also take a look at the Alternative to the Belkin VR Cable.

Although I do not understand why starting the screensaver should trigger putting the displays to sleep and not the Lock Screen > Turn displays off setting, apparently it did work for you previously.

I have my systems automated to periodically check if the screen saver is active and then put the displays to sleep with:
Code:
pmset displaysleepnow

I have screen saver set to 5 min and display sleep to 20, but display never goes to sleep they stay awake. I trashed the correct plists but it doesnt help.

>pmset displaysleepnow
Does work for me.

How do you set it to automated? I used to be able to have display sleep not sure why its not working anymore :\

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Got it.
Until it's fixed, here is how I've implemented turning off the displays automatically with a Launch Agent (there are probably simpler ways like a cron job).
Reboot after setting it up.
Every 60 seconds it checks if the Screen Saver is active and if true, puts the displays to sleep.
This does not solve any problems preventing (system) sleep in the first place.
Create a file:
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist
XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.arw.ExecuteInInterval</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>60</integer>
</dict>
</plist>
With the proper permissions:
Code:
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist
sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist

The whole "/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.sh" file simply consists if two lines to execute an Apple Script like the one in my post above.
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
osascript "/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.scpt"

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I have screen saver set to 5 min and display sleep to 20, but display never goes to sleep they stay awake. I trashed the correct plists but it doesnt help.

>pmset displaysleepnow
Does work for me.

How do you set it to automated? I used to be able to have display sleep not sure why its not working anymore :\

Is this problem a symptom of the change in recent OS versions, possibly Ventura, to remove the separate setting for display sleep and system sleep?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Is this problem a symptom of the change in recent OS versions, possibly Ventura, to remove the separate setting for display sleep and system sleep?
IIRC Apple removed it first in Big Sur.
The Launch Agent / Script workaround kind of brings it 'back':
Screen saver time now equals (within 60 seconds) display sleep while the Mac itself can remain active.

From my understanding, since the recent update for @SDAVE some process prevents auto sleep completely and seeing the screen saver indefinitely is just the symptom.
Perhaps pmset -g assertions can shed some light on the culprit.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Got it.
Until it's fixed, here is how I've implemented turning off the displays automatically with a Launch Agent (there are probably simpler ways like a cron job).
Reboot after setting it up.
Every 60 seconds it checks if the Screen Saver is active and if true, puts the displays to sleep.
This does not solve any problems preventing (system) sleep in the first place.
Create a file:
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist
XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.arw.ExecuteInInterval</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>60</integer>
</dict>
</plist>
With the proper permissions:
Code:
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist
sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.plist

The whole "/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.sh" file simply consists if two lines to execute an Apple Script like the one in my post above.
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
osascript "/THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-SCRIPT/com.arw.ExecuteInInterval.scpt"
Hi thanks for this, bit confused about what the scpt leads to, does it lead to itself?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

I think it's bugged.

IIRC Apple removed it first in Big Sur.
The Launch Agent / Script workaround kind of brings it 'back':
Screen saver time now equals (within 60 seconds) display sleep while the Mac itself can remain active.

From my understanding, since the recent update for @SDAVE some process prevents auto sleep completely and seeing the screen saver indefinitely is just the symptom.
Perhaps pmset -g assertions can shed some light on the culprit.

Here's a readout of assertations:

Code:
Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask                 0

ApplePushServiceTask           0

UserIsActive                   1

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    1

PreventSystemSleep             0

ExternalMedia                  1

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1

NetworkClientActive            0

Listed by owning process:

pid 69051(firefox): [0x0004733a00019b27] 00:07:57 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "audio-playing"  

pid 69051(firefox): [0x0004733200059b21] 00:08:05 NoDisplaySleepAssertion named: "video-playing"  

pid 155(bluetoothd): [0x0004751500019bdc] 00:00:02 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.BTStack"  

pid 1045(useractivityd): [0x0004751500019bdd] 00:00:02 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "BTLEAdvertisement.3885FA30-F858-4FBE-8A02-542A369FE481"  

Timeout will fire in 57 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff

pid 889(Google Chrome): [0x0000006e000588db] 81:28:57 NoDisplaySleepAssertion named: "Video Wake Lock"  

pid 889(Google Chrome): [0x0000006e000588da] 81:28:58 NoDisplaySleepAssertion named: "Video Wake Lock"  

pid 257(backupd-helper): [0x00046f3900019986] 00:25:02 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Mutexed Backup Block"  

pid 271(coreaudiod): [0x0004733c00018d7d] 00:07:55 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:XMOS :HIFI DSD:14200000:1.context.preventuseridlesleep"  

Created for PID: 69051. 

Resources: audio-out AppleUSBAudioEngine:XMOS :HIFI DSD:14200000:1 

pid 163(WindowServer): [0x00046821000992e2] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle serviceID:100010a21 service:AppleHIDKeyboardEventDriverV2 product:Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad eventType:3"  

Timeout will fire in 1200 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease

pid 904(sharingd): [0x0004736800019b3e] 00:07:11 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff"  

pid 107(powerd): [0x000000450008817c] 81:29:38 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted"  

pid 285(backupd): [0x00046f570001998f] 00:24:32 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Backup Job"  

pid 134(apsd): [0x00047507000b9bda] 00:00:16 ApplePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com"  

pid 134(apsd): [0x00047507000b9bd9] 00:00:16 ApplePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com"  

Kernel Assertions: 0xc=USB,BT-HID

id=506  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.02400000 owner=USB3.0 Hub             

id=511  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.02200000 owner=USB2.0 Hub             

id=513  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14400000 owner=4-Port USB 2.0 Hub

id=515  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14410000 owner=USB2 Hub

id=517  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14420000 owner=USB 2.0 BILLBOARD

id=518  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14430000 owner=USB2 Hub

id=520  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14440000 owner=USB 2.0 BILLBOARD

id=523  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.02240000 owner=USB Receiver

id=543  level=255 0x8=BT-HID creat= description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=AppleHSBluetoothDevice

id=554  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14500000 owner=4-Port USB 3.0 Hub

id=580  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14200000 owner=HIFI DSD

id=582  level=255 0x4=USB creat= description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.03200000 owner=iPhone

Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Hi thanks for this, bit confused about what the scpt leads to, does it lead to itself?
The .plist calls the .sh in intervals of 60 s.
The .sh executes the .scpt (Apple Script).
I set it up this way to illustrate how to paste native bash code as well as Apple Script.

Hopefully others can diagnose your readout. (In previous versions, Bluetooth prevented proper sleep for some users).

Disclaimer: Just some thoughts in the meantime:
I can be totally wrong but it looks like multimedia playback from firefox/Chrome is preventing sleep.
"Handoff" and "Backup Job" should be managed by macOS automatically.
I'd reboot and leave all apps closed (no browser or video/audio playback) and disconnect/disable bluetooth just to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: If not yet performed, try a SMC reset.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The .plist calls the .sh in intervals of 60 s.
The .sh executes the .scpt (Apple Script).
I set it up this way to illustrate how to paste native bash code as well as Apple Script.

Hopefully others can diagnose your readout. (In previous versions, Bluetooth prevented proper sleep for some users).

Disclaimer: Just some thoughts in the meantime:
I can be totally wrong but it looks like multimedia playback from firefox/Chrome is preventing sleep.
"Handoff" and "Backup Job" should be managed by macOS automatically.
I'd reboot and leave all apps closed (no browser or video/audio playback) and disconnect/disable bluetooth just to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: If not yet performed, try a SMC reset.

Thank you Ill try these.

BTW it seems to be related to Chrome being open? If I quit all apps displays go to sleep. I must investigate deeper....

Apologies if you've tried / answered this already, but do you have an MPX GPU you can try connecting the displays over thunderbolt to see if the behaviour changes?

I dont have a MPX GPU so cant use Thunderbolt unfortunately :(
I removed the 580X (which was slowing me down) and only have the 6900XT in there.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Thank you Ill try these.

BTW it seems to be related to Chrome being open? If I quit all apps displays go to sleep. I must investigate deeper....

I dont have a MPX GPU so cant use Thunderbolt unfortunately :(
I removed the 580X (which was slowing me down) and only have the 6900XT in there.

Have you tried Sleep Aid? It returns a lot of the functionality the Sleep / Energy Saver prefpanes used to offer, as well as some serious monitoring of sleep / wake. Might be a good diagnostic option.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Have you tried Sleep Aid? It returns a lot of the functionality the Sleep / Energy Saver prefpanes used to offer, as well as some serious monitoring of sleep / wake. Might be a good diagnostic option.
I don't think I have. But I will try.

I'm really at wits end here because the command "pmset displaysleepnow" puts my display to sleep from Terminal but it won't go to sleep on its own : \

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This has suddenly happened to me also, on the mac in my signature. I've had sreensaver set to ten minutes, and display sleep set to one hour. Computer is set to never sleep. I've had it like this for many years, over many versions of macOS, and many different Intel/ARM mac models.

Suddenly it's not working. Screensaver just runs and runs. I have not changed anything lately; not macOS v., not installed or upgraded any software, all connected peripherals are the same.

Did you find any solution to this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.