Studying Abroad in Australia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ieani, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I plan on studying abroad this July at a university in New South Wales. The universities within Sydney are a ridiculous amount of money as compared to the two I am considering:

University of Wollongong
    University of Newcastle

If anyone has any input on either or on studying abroad in Australia in general, it would be appreciated. I am leaning towards Wollongong since its much closer to Sydney and from pictures the city looks incredible(just about anything on a beach will compared to flat and featureless Ohio). Also Newcastle has a progressive approach to teaching and learning so Im not sure how well credits would transfer.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I pity the fool who goes to Newcastle.

I may be able to provide you with some insight into Wollongong, since I walk to the university everyday.

3. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

So Wollongong > Newcastle?

Whats the night life like there? What are class sizes like? Easy to meet people ther?Any idea how good their Psych program is? Would you recommend it for an American student? Is it easy to get to Sydney? And add whatever other info you think I might find useful. Info that they might not put on the website or on wikipedia. thanks!

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

My girlfriend really enjoys Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane. I loved the night life and the city. She also has loved her year there.

5. Bjerre macrumors member

How much is tuition in Australia, since I've been thinking the same thing, either Australia or Sweden?

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Don't listen to abstract ;) - both universities are great and you really won't miss out on anything being out of the Sydney Metropolitan area. There's always healthy rivalry between the coastal regions in Aus! Both are situated right on the coast (wollongong south of Sydney and Newcastle north of Sydney) and they're also both relatively small communities so it should be a blast with uni friends hitting the restaurants, bars, and beaches. The rent is also much, much cheaper outside Sydney.

The biggest consideration should be what you're actually planning to study and how and by whom the teaching is conducted. Sounds like you've had a bit of a look but you should definitely give them both a call/email and see what information they will send you. All Australian universities love international students (due to the tuition) and they'll likely both send you a bunch on info and glossy brochures free of charge :).

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Come and study at Bond Uni on the gold coast. Beach beach beach

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I think you just figured him out,,,,:eek:

Now will you please bring back Maria?!? I'll even let your little dig at the Red Sox slide by, if you'll just bring back Maria!

10. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Those two plus two others I had considered were around the $25000/yr range for tuition, room and board and food plus an orientation day, 4day trip to Great Barrier Reef and airport pickup along with some other things through Australearn.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I'm sitting in the middle of the Gong right now. Whaddya wanna know?

Oh and it's pronounced "Wool" as in sheep, "on" as in 'on the piss,' "gong" as in the Gong Show. Most people from OS call it "Woll" "on" gong" because funnily enough that's how it's spelt.

12. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Yeah we have an Australian study abroad coordinator here, plus 3 different advisors I need to see before going. Plus Australearn assists in the process as well.

But I plan on studying neuroscience and continuing my pre-medicine classes. So I would be taking Organic Chemistry, General Physics, General Bio and Psychology/Neuroscience courses. I assume most of those are prob offered. But yes I still need to look into that part of it some more.

Do you or did you go to one of these universities? Anything I could tell my friend to convince him to join me? Hes afraid hes going to miss to much back here.

13. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

well any answers to these would be great

"Whats the night life like there? What are class sizes like? Easy to meet people ther?Any idea how good their Psych program is? Would you recommend it for an American student? Is it easy to get to Sydney? And add whatever other info you think I might find useful. Info that they might not put on the website or on wikipedia. thanks!"

14. Bjerre macrumors member

Wow, for some reason I thought that studying abroad would be a lot cheaper, i.e. almost free. I looked at www.studyinsweden.se and it looks really cheap. I, rather, we could never afford $20,000 a year. Jeez.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Wollongong is fantastic for foreign people. You're within minutes from 2 beaches, and the nightlife is decent, although you may tire of going to the same 3-5 clubs every Wednesday night (the big night to go out here).

We're quite close to Sydney....maybe within 90 minute train ride.

The psych program is good, I guess. I have a few friends majoring in psych here. I think Macquarie uni in North Sydney is also supposed to be good, but I really can't be sure. I know they have received a bit of money from Australian Rotary for their research in mental health and such, but that's all I can say.

People in Wollongong can be dodgy. Bad things happen there, or at least more often than where I'm from. However, the people in Wollongong can also be really nice to you and make your experience incredible and most memorable.

Seriously?

"The GC" is a nice place........or it's hell, depending on who you ask. The entire place is like a fun-park, and not one that's aimed at locals. Some people like it, and

And that isn't one of the better universities. I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter where you do an exchange. People outside of Australia have never heard of any of these universities anyway. However, if ieani wants to know if that university is good for psych, I don't think it would be.

16. BCains macrumors regular

I agree, great uni especially for international students. It may be abit
    expensive; i don't know how pricey the one mentioned Sydney is compared.

There is also Griffith University on the Gold Coast & Brisbane.

The nightlife life is awesome, as mentioned; beaches, shopping, clubs
    everything you'd need and with cheapier living costs than Sydney.

P.S
    Here is a link & another to some more info on studying in Australia

17. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

This is the take home message if you're from the US, people outside of Australia have never heard of these universities. If you're doing just a fun exchange year then go for it, you'll love studying in Oz. If grades and name of university count, then I'd be wary.

It's very easy to get into Australian universities as an international student, the whole system bends over backward to get you in as you're paying more than locals.

18. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

I grew up in a city that typically tops the lists for poverty and violent crime so cant be any worse than that right?

19. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

im premed so they matter a lot. i could take easy classes but then its just a $30000 vacation.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It costs $30000 to do an exchange? No way!

If you're pre-med, Wollongong now has a pre-med (and med) program. It's one of the few outside of the big cities. It's not a bad uni.

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Just stay away from Adelaide. I hear the jews there are angry.

22. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

If you're pre-med, which schools are you applying to?

I just did a Masters in Australia. Go big or go home, if you're from America. That means, choose either UNSW, Sydney Uni, Macq Uni ... any of the smaller schools will be a $30K vacation ... not that there's anything wrong with it, but you'll hurt your admission chances ... don't forget that an "A" means different things in different schools and especially in other countries.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, nothing is wrong with Wollongong! :eek:

If I were you, I'd choose between the following: Univ. of Sydney, UNSW, ANU (in Canberra), Wollongong, Macquarie Uni, Univ. Western Australia (UWA) in Perth, and.....I'm sure there are a few more that don't suck. RMIT in Melbourne isn't bad, but not for med stuff.

Out of all those universities, I still say go to Wollongong. It's an exchange, right? I'm sure your university has affiliations with one of these universities. Also, exchange unis don't need to be top notch. People expect you to explore and see the sights. It also looks good on the CV regardless of which university you choose because the only thing med school people will think is "Wow, that took guts", even though it really doesn't. ;)

I'm willing to bet that 2 of Australia's three best universities, ANU (probably the best) and UNSW, have never been heard of overseas. University of Sydney doesn't have a lot of clout overseas, but lets face it, people will think it's good because it's in Sydney, and everyone has heard of Sydney. :eek: A university in the country's biggest city must be good.

24. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

ANU would be a possibility, tops out what I plan on spending(aka getting a loan for) but if its the best then it would be worth it.

Its not an exchange, just study abroad through Australearn which is cosponsored by my University. And yeah itll cost about $30000 for the year for food, housing, tuition, flights, and expenses throughout the year. Most will be covered by a student loan and the rest by financial aid and scholarships.

Im not worried too much about the credibility of the school as long as credits transfer. There is an exhcange through Edith Cowan Uni but a friend from perth said its known as Education for ****s University.

25. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Ok in continuation of my last post I am looking for some second opinions on ECU. Is it really the worst uni in Perth? And is it unlikely that ill make any friends/have fun while I am there? My friend said it was the worst uni and that everyone commutes so it would be a lot different than an american uni(such as OSU(bucks not ducks/sooners) where most people live on/around campus.

It is a huge difference in cost($12000-$15000 less) compared to the other programs. The education quality I am not too worried about since it is just for a year. My only concern is that I do not spend all this money and then regret it because I didnt meet anyone or the classes were awful.

Thanks!