Stunned by Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by strategicthinke, Oct 14, 2017.

1. strategicthinke Suspended

strategicthinke

i hope I’m not modded by posting this. But I’ve been using the S3 for about 20 days now after 2.5 years with S0 and... omg, this is why the Apple Watch was meant to be. Siri is lighting fast. Apps load so quickly that I find myself using the watch more and more often. It is FINALLY faster and more convenient to check my latest bank transactions in the wathOS app than in the phone. I log water, study time, use LifeCycle as a complication to see how much time I’ve been doing something, I use my watch to log workouts... it’s amazing!

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Got to agree, the Watch has come a long way!

3. Relentless Power, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think from where the first generation Apple Watch was and where the Series 3 is, it's all about the speed and battery improvements. Essentially, these watches all do the same thing, but It made the experience far less enjoyable with the lag. And Series 3 with the Faster dual core processor seems to have rectified that.

4. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Really agree. I had the same feeling when I got the S2 a year ago - As a runner the GPS and water resistance was the killer feature but the added speed has made it way more enjoyable to use

5. newellj, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

newellj macrumors 604

Bought one last week because of where health and exercise functions have gone with the AW, but didn't expect to like it and did expect to return it.

Well, I didn't like it after all.

I love this thing. This is the iPhone 4S moment for the Watch. Thumbs up!

6. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

and once WatchOS4.1 is released you will enjoy the ability to stream music to your bluetooth headset without your iphone.

7. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

What are you folks doing with your old watches? Do they have any trade in or resale values? Not sure when to upgrade mine..

8. Falcon80 macrumors 6502

I will pass it to a family member. :)

9. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Give it to someone who will enjoy it.

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Ugh. This is making me crazy! S3 requires iOS 11, and my iPhone 5 doesn't support iOS 11, meaning I can't use the watch until I update my phone... So the watch is sitting in a drawer waiting for iPhone X to ship. Still using my S0, but every time there's another thread about how much better the S3 is than all the ones that came before I lose all patience!

11. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I sold my series 0 core only (no bands or charger cable) for $100 cash on OfferUp (Gold - 42mm) - there is a big demand for these even the original.

12. Speechless macrumors 6502a

I desperately want the Series 3 *sigh* still thankful for my Series 0 though.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

*if you’re an Apple Music subscriber

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

My S1 is by no means fast. I may try to get another year out of it though.

15. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Great to hear positive feedback on the progression of AW. I finally dipped my toes into the water in May of this year with the purchase of S2 Sport. I've been enjoying it and as I've commented in other posts, it rarely leaves my wrist. This really surprised me as I've got some good options with traditional watches. I'm going to enjoy this one for a while and when the time is right, I'll upgrade.

What do you folks who've been using the AW since 0 or 1 feel is still missing from the 3? Meaning, aside from upgrading hardware, what other functionality is not there that should be?

16. MrGuder macrumors 68030

So you can't upload music from your itunes library to the new Apple watch and play music from the watch using your airpods?

17. CobraPA, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

CobraPA macrumors 6502a

WatchOS 4.0.1 can play music sync'd to it from an iPhone (iOS 11) playlist over bluetooth. Just tried it here.

18. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

*and have the GPS+Cellular Series 3.

I sold my Series 2 with AppleCare+ on Kijiji for $380 CDN and the upgrade to GPS only Nike+ cost me $530 all in.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You plan on upgrading or are you just holding off for various reasons?

20. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

I’m using the Apple Watch like watches, telling time . It can give notifications and encourage me to move .
    So I think S0 or S3 are the same for me.

21. strategicthinke thread starter Suspended

strategicthinke

Precisely! The comparison with the iPhone 4S is perfect!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---
    I was going to resell it for about 100 dollars (Stainless Steel Series 0, 38”) but I decided to give it to a friend instead as a bday gift - he loved it.
    Every 2 ears is fine. You’d see the difference, but hard to justify having a Series 1.
    The thing is, the S3 is so much faster that you end up using it for much more than just time-telling and notifications. It’s natural how interested you get in the apps - I just hope developers will do a better job now that decent apps can run consistently and with an acceptable speed on watchOS 4. There are a few great apps already, though, I use Evernote, OmniFocus, Uber, Hours, WaterMinder, MeuAlelo (Brazilian app to see how much food card credit I have), NuBank (another Brazilian credit card showing me last está transactions) and LifeCycle. All those grid party apps are amazing. And I’m not even mentioning Apple’s own apps like Maps, Music and Mail that are extremely useful - but they have been since watchOS 1 given their privileges in the system access...

22. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

I sold my s2 on eBay for about $230

23. Speechless macrumors 6502a

Just a few reasons. One: I would rather spend the $400 to help save for a new iPad Pro and two: this is still a really decent little beast.

However, I did test it out at Best Buy the other day and the speed improvements were so lightning fast and beautiful :(

24. sslade6752, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

sslade6752 macrumors member

After just getting my 42 mm space gray series 3 LTE to replace my 42mm series 0. I found that buybackworld.com will buy it so I’m selling it to them. I’m getting 55 bucks for my watch I would of got 80 but I’m keeping the chargeing puck so I have a spare. I usually sell to gazelle but they aren’t buying watches yet

http://www.buybackworld.com/sell/apple-watch

25. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

I ended up buying one at 9 pm the s1 and like I've worn it for 7 minutes total and I'm just so unimpressed and underwhelmed. Glad everyone is enjoying theirs. The battery case I bought along with it is impressing me more lmao.