Stupid genius + sleep issue = dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheGrand, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TheGrand macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I just recently got my new 2.53 Ghz macbook pro in the last two days. Now I have been practically using the machine the whole time. The other night, I closed the lid trying to put in in sleep mode for the night. However, when i wake up the next morning I touch the computer to find that it is pretty warm and the fans and hard drive are still going. Now , I have read about this problem plaguing multiple macbook pro users, so I try to put the computer in sleep again, and i find that the fans don't actually turn off at all and the sleep light is constantly on ( no pulsation). So I know that there is something wrong with the computer since my friend has the same notebook and yet it doesn't have the same problem.

Once i assured myself that what is happening to my notebook is not normal I drove down to my local apple store to get the problem assessed. Now, the second I walk in I am greeted by this genius who asks what the problem is, I tell him and he begins to look at it. He restarts it a few times and puts it into sleep mode. The first time he does it, it goes into sleep mode . But the second time he does it, the computer does not. The fans are still going and the sleep light is not pulsating. I go to tell him that the computer is not in sleep mode but he completely disregards me. i go to tell him that the computer fans and harddrive should not be on during sleep mode. He tells me that the hard drive, ram, processor, and fans *Should* be running to do " what computers normally do". The next thing he says completely dumbfounds me, he tells me that I am using my computer wrong, that I should turn it off if i decide to put it in my backpack or when I stop using it.

Now a little while later, I set up a genius appointment with another genius who does some more tests. He takes my computer into the backroom and does a few checkups. He comes out and tells me that there is nothing that can be done since the sleep issue cant be reproduced at the time.

After that I just left the store since they couldn't help me. Now that night, I put it into sleep mode and I watch it. It seems to be in sleep mode so I left it at that and went to bed. Today, I wake up and find that the fans are running and my battery is mostly drained.

Now the dilemma is : should I go down to the apple store again and probably get shut down for a replacement or some fix, or would I have better luck talking to an apple rep over the phone or should I just keep the computer?
    I mean all i want is a computer that will perform the way it is supposed to, is that too much to ask Apple?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

haul it down to the genius bar in it's current state of sleep mode. show them what it's doing

3. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, but the genius promptly restarted the computer

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you bought it two days ago, you're still way within your 14-day window in which you can return it.

Instead of dealing with a Genius, I'd put everything back into the original box, go back to the store and speak to a manager.

If you politely explain the issue and how the Genii couldn't fix it, I'd be very surprised if they don't swap you out for another one (assuming that you can show the manager the issue).

In case they do swap you out, do a clean reinstall of OS X and don't install any third-party applications or anything. That way they can't try to say that something you installed is causing it not to sleep. But again, make sure you can recreate the problem on the cleanly installed machine.

5. smokedog macrumors regular

This seems to be a very common problem and currently with no fix. Some people are stating its a software fault but theres no conclusive evidence of what it could be.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

I know you're having hardware problems but I do have to agree with the Genius that it's best to turn off your computer if you're going to put it in your backpack.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If that's the case (I haven't been following the latest MBP issues), then I wouldn't expect any conclusive help from the Genius bar until after Apple's found a fix.

Why? When its sleeping, the hard drive is spun down just like when it's turned off.

8. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

but that's the thing, the computer was meant to be put into sleep mode. And another thing, my friend's late macbook pro does not have the same issue with the fans going during sleep mode and he puts his mbp in his backpack all the time and its always cool to the touch in sleep.

9. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

I could do that, but I would really hate to pay the 10% restocking fee since i have already used it for two days.

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Let me get this straight, you don't want to use the sleep mode in the Apple menu just close the lid and leave it. Second, you can't wait the 40 seconds it takes to start up from shut down when taking it out of the computer bag. The MBP is designed to wake up when a key is touched and carrying it around in a bag can certainly cause it to start up while carrying it. Third, you want Apple to exchange a perfectly fine machine because you cannot wait for your MBP to start up? Isn't it better to be cautious and shut the machine down when transporting in an enclosed case? After the PB G3 hinge problem, I only close the lid when needed. It may be conservative but it reduces the wear on the hinges.

11. 173080 macrumors 6502

It should work as advertised. I shouldn't have to give my MBP special treatment or consideration. His machine is not "perfectly fine" because he shouldn't have to shut down the computer to put it in his bag. He should be able to close the lid and throw it in his bag without worry.

Apple should exchange the machine. Don't settle for anything less than a perfect MBP.

12. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand what you are getting at, are u saying that the feature that apple designed into the computer should not be used. And as for touching the keyboard while the lid is *closed* , how would one go about doing that? also, I have already tested the mbp on a desk and put it into sleep mode and it did the same thing, so I know nothing had touched the mbp.

13. MBPDiva macrumors regular

You are absolutely correct. I only reboot my classic MBP once a week. The rest of the time it's in sleep mode at night. It is always cool to the touch with no fans going. Since you say another genius took it in the back and ran tests on it and could find no problems, I would go back to the Apple store and demand a new machine or ask for a refund.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

It may only take 40 seconds for the OS to boot, but you're not factoring in the time it takes to shut-down, plus the time it takes to relaunch your applications and get your work back up on the screen. That's usually measured in MINUTES, not seconds (especially if Microsoft Office is involved).

I've certainly never had that experience and I've hauled around a MBP for the last three years, including backpacking across Europe. Maybe it's because the screen protects the keys from being accidentally pressed?

A perfectly fine machine wouldn't experience this problem.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd not accept the 10% restock fee as the machine is broken. If you can show them the issue on your machine after you've restored it to a clean install of the OS, I don't see how they could disagree. My guess is that they'd want to swap you out with a new one vs. losing the sale by giving you a refund.

16. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

the apple store that I went to were adamant that I could not get a replacement mbp, so now im wondering if I could get farther just talking to an apple rep over the phone. I'm thinking they may have some more knowledge over the current sleep issue and would be more willing to offer a replacement or at least some kind of fix.

17. Trimmer2 macrumors member

I've had a very similar problem and it's compounded when hooked up to my 23" Cinema Display with bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse. If I allow the system to shut down (I leave my desk for a couple of hours) by itself, upon my return the computer is blazing hot with funs running and all. I try waking up the machine by moving the mouse or hitting a key, it won't wake up. Sometimes when it tries to wake up, the display will only show my desk top background and NONE of the applications, dock items or system icons appear. When I open the laptop, the computer screen is just as it's supposed to be but, the display is either as I described or black. The laptop allows me to log in to the system but that box is no where to be seen on the display. This happens 8 of 10 times. I've tried using both GPU settings and it didn't make any difference.

2 of ten, it wakes up just as it's supposed to. I had a previous Macbook Pro and NEVER had a problem for two years. Apple is sending a new Macbook Pro and should arrive on Monday. While on the phone with Apple, I was passed up the ladder to what seemed to be a very high level tech and they definitely thought it was a problem but, hadn't heard of it before...nor could they figure out the problem. They also wouldn't even give me their thoughts as to what might be the cause.

Another quirk is 2 of 10 times, I'll shut down the system for the night via the apple system and when I come to the office (in my home) the computer is awake and ready to go for the day. Is there something that could be waking up my computer during the night?

With the new laptop arriving within a day it will be interesting to see if there's a change. I'm also REALLY looking forward to the new 24 Cinema Display...

Very strange.

18. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Before I close my laptop to put it in sleep mode, I hover my mouse over the Dock buttons to see if there are any blue lights under any of the icons which would indicate that something is still running in the background. I apologize if that's sounds simplistic, but clicking on the red X to close apps doesn't mean they have quit.

19. Eallan macrumors 6502

Thats unnecessary. It should sleep even with apps still running.

20. TheGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

this actually seems to be a pretty wide-spread problem. Not only are there multiple threads on macrumors concerning the same issue, I went on over to the apple discussion forum and found that there are numerous threads on the same problem. I think ill give a call to an apple rep to see there stance in the issue.

21. smokedog macrumors regular

I personally think that all new Macbook/Pro suffer from this problem. Some people have just not had it happen to them yet or don't use the sleep function.

22. 7even macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I put mine to sleep a few times a day sometimes. Haven't had it wake up, except when I had a USB device connected.

23. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Eh?? Do you own one?

24. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Thanks Eallan. :)