Stupid home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TillysWily, Dec 18, 2016.

1. TillysWily macrumors regular

I really haven't found a lot that I hate about the new iPhone but now that winter is here and I have to wear gloves all the time outside this home button is really starting to piss me off. A company that's this smart can't figure out how to make a home button work with gloves is BS.

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I know this isn't a "fix" but there are gloves out there that allow the phone to function while wearing them. From cheapies all the way to snowboarding gloves. Do these not work on the home button?

3. DaisyCakes macrumors member

This has been pissing me off too! I have the 'special' gloves that work on the screen, but nothing but bare skin works on the home button.

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

My gloves that work on the home screen work on the home button too but it takes a bit of finding the exact right way of pressing it.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

that is crazy. Very inconvenient and I can see many iPhone 7's being found under the lifts after the snow melts next year lol

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Just curious. What use case is it absolutely necessary for the home button to work where the screen doesn't but the sleep button does? For me as I use Touch ID my 7 works the same as my old 6 with gloves on. But I have raise to wake so I can check the time anyway without pressing any buttons.

8. akadafni macrumors regular

Why n
    why not enable "Hey Siri"? Voila, no buttons required.

9. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Uh, "Hey Siri" can not unlock the iPhone nor can it replicate the home button functions.

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Touchscreen gloves do not work on the home button they still work. As far as unlocking my iPhone, i have the passcode lock.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not see how anyone would expect the home button work with gloves on but then I am in the McRumors forums. Sometimes life is just hell!

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It needs to read your fingerprint. There is no way for your fingerprint to be read when it's covered.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're wearing gloves the touchscreen will not respond even if you had the old push button.
    Either way you will have to take them off to do anything with the phone.
    Unless you just want to look at the lock screen and that can be accomplished by pressing the power button.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

You must have missed the thread where members were complaining their home button was "Faulty" because their gloves wouldn't unlock the iPhone. Hilarious.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But without slide to unlock how do you get to the passcode? I have gloves that work with the screen and can type in the passcode if I can get that far, but they don't work with the home button to bring it up.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Won't work, the passcode is through the home button, unless you have assistive touch ensbled, then use the power button and virtual home to bring up the passcode screen.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Take your glove off whilst using the phone? I would even if it somehow sort of worked with my glove on. Precision always beats the ham-fisted approach....

18. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

U guys are making this way too complicated!

Just register your nose in TouchID and use your nose to unlock! No need to take off gloves.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I prefer to not freeze my hands.

20. drewdove macrumors newbie

I wear rubber gloves at work. I just hit the home button a couple times and the "try again" screen comes up where I put in my code.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The wool gloves with some sort of fingertip that works on the screen don't seem to be able to do that.

22. ericwn macrumors 65816

After two longer presses on the home button my phone brings up the keypad to enter your passcode, every time. Works very reliable for me.

23. ericwn macrumors 65816

OMG.
    The home button fingerprint scanner doesn't work when the fingerprint is covered. Scandal! Who would have thought! I'm sure all the other makers of devices with fingerprint scanners have solved this, otherwise let's go and complain to those companies too.

24. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Am I the only one that can double click the home button with my touch gloves then enter my passcode? I have to move my thumb around a bit but I can definitely click the home button with my gloves on.

25. bufffilm, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Better figure something out cause Samsung is following suit and others are sure to follow...the physical home button is going bye-bye I think in the next few years.

It would be amusing if manufacturers tout a physical button feature for those living in colder places. Would be ironic.