Stupid iCloud Photos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Cell-666, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

What the hell is going on with iCloud Photos.

So over the past few years my family and I have built up a large collection of shared photostreams, a lot of these are with my family members in Australia. I have one of these albums setup so any of us can just drop picture as and when we like. We usually have the TV on and switch to our ATV in the front room so it plays this particular album as a slideshow which is brilliant.
    So now my ATV has stopped playing the pictures, changed my Apple ID password last night, no problem, I'll just sign in, and BANG the only folders I can see in the screen saver section is My Photostream.

What gives? I can't understand why all the shared streams have disappeared. And also, how do you create new one so they will show up as shared streams. It seems a bit of a backwards step in functionality.....again. What are Apple up to these days.

Btw before you start bashing, all my photos are backed up to a mac mini with four external drives, which also backs up to a offsite server :)

2. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Did you create a new Apple ID or change your existing one?

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

*Cheers*. Finally!, someone who takes their photos seriously actually has multiple backups. :D

4. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I do :) All my streams have now shown up so a little calmer than the other evening lol. It's still and odd situation with the beta stage and no new Photo app for OSX so it's very much fractured at the moment.

Of course Apple are pushing people down this route of storing all your images online so they can pick up extra income for storage space.

5. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Aren't pictures compressed in iCloud so that you cannot store them permanently without a quality decrease ?

6. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

OK. So how come when I add pics to 'photo stream' in iPhoto, they do not go to my iPad? They go the other way, but having issues getting them to the iPad.
    It is set up to not automatically upload, so I can just add the ones I want to be there, but alas...

Any ideas?

(I have beta enabled, if that would make a difference?)

Attached Files:

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No, according to Apple, the original is stored. You can choose to download a lesser quality to your devices to maximize storage on the device.

8. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Thank you for clarification, this has been unclear to me.

9. Crotonmark macrumors regular

This function won't work under iCloud photo until the new photos app for mac comes out next year

10. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Ah, OK. Thanks. Will just use a shared album instead.

Cheers