Stupid lady at apple store... yesterday

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Mar 14, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I was just checking iPad 2 at my local apple store and I was hearing a conversation between apple employee (probably new employee) and lady customer. I was not trying to hear or anything, but they were pretty close to me and I could hear them all.

lady: So, iPad 2. Ok. How much is this 3G model with 32GB?
    Employee: It's 729 dollars.
    lady: But, Xoom has 32GB with wi-fi and costs 599 dollars with 4G. (BS. Xoom costs 799 dollars and it's 3G only for now. You have to send your unit to get it upgraded to 4G and you will be without a device for weeks.)
    Employee: Uh... You sure about that?
    Lady: Yes, and I thought you guys were cheaper.
    Employee: Well...
    Lady: What is the difference between 3G and 4G
    Employee: 4G is faster with faster data, so you can upload and download your files faster
    Lady: IC. Well, will you guys match xoom's price and give me your 3G iPad 32GB for 599 dollars.

Employee: Maam. we are sold out of iPad 2s.

Lady: What about data plan?

Employee: It depends.. on the carrier.

Lady: I want that 1GB for 20 dollars plan in 4G like Xoom.

Employee: Our product doesn't support 4G siginal. It's 3G only.

Lady: Can I pre-order iPad 2 here and will you match the price of Xoom?

Employee: Must be done online. We don't know when we get shipments and we give iPad 2 to customers in first come with first serve basis. Also, we cannot price match something that is totally different product.

Lady: ......

This dumb lady was a liar. LIAR LIAR! The employee was probably new, but he was handling things very professionally.

Hate people who likes to brag, but really don't know what they are talking about.

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You don't work in retail do you? This is nothing compared to what many of us have to deal with.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

Ha Ha Ha!!!

That's like asking to price match a Dell Laptop with an MacBook Pro.

5. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

What an old crow...

That's like if I went to Apple and said I can buy a Windows netbook online for $299 so please reduce the price of your macbook air accordingly.

She'll be back, to buy one for MSRP...

6. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

The lady should have bought a xoom if she is so in to it.

7. rkahl, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

rkahl macrumors 65816

This is why I stopped working retail in high school!

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

That is so true... I deal with more stupid customers than decent ones in my retail job.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Working in any shop for a few weeks will teach you that people are basically unreasonable, angry idiots.

I once had a women phone and ask if we accepted cheques (this was two years ago when some places were phasing them out). I said yes with a cheque guarantee card. Hour later she is in the shop wanting to buy a £200 item, cheque guarantee card was up to £100. She complained to my manager about it for not telling her that the guarantee amount had to be more than the value of the product. Lucky my manager was nice and realised that she was an idiot.

I'm always friendly in shops even if I have a problem, as just working uni holidays nearly drove me mad. :mad:

10. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

That lady sure was an anoying ...

Reminds me of the one incident when i was buying a new tv and the only employee at the time was bisy with an older couple. The older couple wanted to buy a tv that was 999€ at the moment. They had a long talk about digi recievers and stuff like that and what is hd ready and so on. Any way after i had to wait almost 15 min the lady sayd that they'd buy the tv if he dropped the price to 995€. Aarh. Luckily the smployee ignored that statement and finally sold me tv that i had already chosen.

My point is that there are poeple out there who have no idea about the device and ask question that are not relevant at all.

And no english is not my native language.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Agreed,

I don't understand it, she is talking that the Xoom has this and does that and is much cheaper... yet still wants an iPad?

Odd

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

1. She is talking about the subsidized price of the Xoom which requires a 2-year commitment contract for the data plan. People are stupid and don't realize what that even means, or that the iPad is contract free.
    2. She doesn't know that it is Verizon who offers the $20 for 1GB plan, not Apple, and it applies to all tablets, including the iPad 2 3G (if you get the Verizon model).
    3. The employee is pretty clueless, but she is clearly the dumbest one in that conversation.
    3. Not even close to the worst stuff retail workers have to deal with.

13. kdoug, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I also work in retail, car business none the less. You can't believe some of the ****** people make up when they come in. I use to get upset, now I just roll with the punches. I just keep saying to myself, for every ******, there's 100 nice people.

14. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Reminds me of that funny animation about the iPhone 4.

15. 548827 macrumors member

The customer is always right... Ahem, cough cough!

16. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

You mean the one with the employee being rude to the friendly and nice customer.

17. sam2428 macrumors 6502

LOL @ thread. Made me laugh at work :)

That said, i dont think i could ever work retail for this very reason. Stupid people piss me off...

18. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

"I want the one with the bigger Gee Bees"
    "I want it now"

He started out nice, actually.

19. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I would have price matched to the unsubsidized Xoom price and charged her $799.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You get used to it. After 12 years almost nothing surprises me anymore. I've even seen someone crap on the salesfloor.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. That's about the only thing you can do or else you'd go insane. The nice ones make it worth it and usually end up brightening my day.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

That happens all the time. And sometimes it works... but not on Apple products. They don't have to discount for anybody. She'd have a better time getting a price-matched Xoom ;)

23. Krandor macrumors 6502

I don't work retail, but I read stories on www.customerssuck.com once in a while and I am amazed what people in retail have to put up with.

24. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

There's an a- for every seat. :apple:

Try not to blame them too much. Lots of people tend to be a bit apprehensive when dealing with car salesman. It'd be nicer if all car dealerships were like Scion, Carmax or the late Saturn where there is no haggling.

25. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Agreed, I happen to sell Toyota's and Scion.