Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Ok so I'm brand spankin new to the whole mac world. I'm thinking of buying a mac and when I customized it one of the additional accessories to purchase was Tiger. Isn't that the operating system that comes pre-installed? Needless to say I'm pretty confused. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
If you're buying a new Mac, Tiger will come preinstalled and you'll receive Restore Discs with it. No need to buy Tiger separately unless you're going to upgrade an older machine.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Could you show us a screen shot or something as to what you mean? I don't think your being specific enough for me to understand, yet. :D Is this after you customize your Mac, and it gives you other accessories to purchase on a separate screen?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
what mac are you purchasing? tiger is, indeed, the pre-installed operating system. the option you might be seeing is the os x server, which i'm guessing isn't for you. also, it might just be a language preference, whether you want english or spanish.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Yes. All current Macs ship with "Tiger", OS-X 10.4.x

(10.4.8 was on a MacBook just purchased within the last month or so. The latest update to 10.4.9 was installed during the initial setup. Software Update will go to Apple's update server and find all applicable updates. It then gives the operator the option to OK all, or some of the updates. The majority of the time, all found updates should be installed.)

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Thats there so you can choose which language you want configured in Tiger, it does come preinstalled.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Yea i re-read and it was to upgrade a different computer. I know there are a ton of threads (slowly reading through them now) but should I wait for leopard or does apple offer a reduced upgrade?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
There is no reduced upgrade. And wait if you want to wait, it really will make little difference. If you're brand new to Mac I say just get a Mac now. Waiting for Leopard will make very little difference for a person in your shoes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.