Stupid OS X Tiger question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pavvento, Jun 4, 2007.

1. pavvento macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm brand spankin new to the whole mac world. I'm thinking of buying a mac and when I customized it one of the additional accessories to purchase was Tiger. Isn't that the operating system that comes pre-installed? Needless to say I'm pretty confused. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you're buying a new Mac, Tiger will come preinstalled and you'll receive Restore Discs with it. No need to buy Tiger separately unless you're going to upgrade an older machine.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Could you show us a screen shot or something as to what you mean? I don't think your being specific enough for me to understand, yet. :D Is this after you customize your Mac, and it gives you other accessories to purchase on a separate screen?

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

what mac are you purchasing? tiger is, indeed, the pre-installed operating system. the option you might be seeing is the os x server, which i'm guessing isn't for you. also, it might just be a language preference, whether you want english or spanish.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

He is probably talking about Tiger server, or Tiger spanish.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. All current Macs ship with "Tiger", OS-X 10.4.x

(10.4.8 was on a MacBook just purchased within the last month or so. The latest update to 10.4.9 was installed during the initial setup. Software Update will go to Apple's update server and find all applicable updates. It then gives the operator the option to OK all, or some of the updates. The majority of the time, all found updates should be installed.)

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Thats there so you can choose which language you want configured in Tiger, it does come preinstalled.

8. pavvento thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea i re-read and it was to upgrade a different computer. I know there are a ton of threads (slowly reading through them now) but should I wait for leopard or does apple offer a reduced upgrade?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There is no reduced upgrade. And wait if you want to wait, it really will make little difference. If you're brand new to Mac I say just get a Mac now. Waiting for Leopard will make very little difference for a person in your shoes.