Stupid suburbanite kids stole my iphone!! Replace or wait until September??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roisin and mac, Mar 22, 2011.

?

In my place, would you

Poll closed Apr 6, 2011.
  1. wait for iphone 5 using the decrepit flip phone

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. wait for iphone 5, but fergawdssake get yourself an ebay iphone!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. forget iphone 5, just get 4 now

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. another solution, in thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Okay. So, some creeps stole my iphone tonight. They are a sorry bunch of a-holes, too, because it's not like they were some hungry homeless kid or a junkie out of his mind desperate for a fix, both of which have some significant mitigating circumstances, but a gaggle of entitled little suburbanite punks (and I don't mean in the Ramones/The Clash sense, but in the 'cmon punk, make my day' sense) who did it just for spite because they couldn't handle being told to stop playing with their ringtones and chasing each other round Starbucks' dedicated meeting/work area while I was trying to get some work done (nope, no libraries in my lousy town). So they stole my freakin' phone when I wasn't looking at it for the 3.2 seconds it took me to stash away my macbook in my pack :mad::mad:

So: my data's gone, probably in the punks' greedy hands (even having them paw through my underwear drawer would feel like less of a violation), I lost notes for countless projects because it's a busy time and I wasn't backing up as often as before + I was constantly adding into the phone, and to nicely top off this clusterfnck, I couldn't afford to keep on the mobileme account when it ran out a few months ago so I can't remote wipe the phone.

In this scenario of epic fail, the only thing I can do is try to get back to normal as soon as possible, because the more times I reach for my iphone only to remember it's gone, the more upset and bereft I feel when I remember what I've lost (and it ain't a bunch of buggy free game apps). It's like losing your planner iat Christmas, when it's full of important notes from the entire year, only worse because there's so many more types of information than a simple planner holds.

Now the buying guide says not to buy because an update is coming soon. But 'soon' seems to be June at the earliest, which is still over two months from now for a US release (and includes the time where I had planned on doing a long hike in early May, for which I am preparing). What's more, because I have the misfortune of being stuck in this total *****hole of a place (hey, it's my own country, so I'm allowed to diss it), the iphone won't show up here until early august - IF I am extremely lucky, AND find it in me to make the rounds between pretty much every branch of the provider's sorry little outlets because they will always bring only one or two phones in August, and they NEVER actually follow through on waitlists. Basically, August is just some test run and they only start carrying them properly well into September.

So, realistically, we're looking more at a September date. And that is looking worse by the minute, because going through the summer without means I can also kiss my summer plans goodbye: I was planning to rely heavily on the iphone because it keeps me flexible enough to change accommodation, transportation, and even the whole itinerary to best use my (pretty limited) resources, while still traveling light (which helps with said resources) - if I don't have it, the same holiday will be half the fun, twice the logistical hassle, and will cost me more to boot, so in current economic conditions, might as well scrap the whole thing. Which sucks big time, because with the breathtakingly craptastic winter I've had (think life-threatening illness in the family, a tooth abscess, and multiple bouts of virulent sinusitis) I could sure as heck use a break.

So, o Macrumors users, what would you do in my craptacular shoes? Would you
    a) wait for iphone 5 (with the hopefully better antenna and a few other features - can't tell what else would be that much better compare to iphone 4 other than the antenna) using an old '04 entry level samsung to tide over (my previous phone)?
    b) get a cheap, used iphone 3GS (like the one I had) or even iphone 4 if they sell cheap off of ebay to tide me over until September, but risk endless hassle from the provider because I got it used?
    c) buy a new iphone 4 at the store and forget about iphone 5 altogether, then probably weep when I realize it works better than the 4 even though I paid the same amount (dump of a place, remember? they NEVER discount earlier models, of anything. The square ipod nano still sells for under $20 less than a brand-new nano wherever they have it)

Or, maybe some other solution? Please advise. If you have no idea but just want to offer sympathy/battle stories, believe me, it will be very much appreciated in its own right at this point :(:(:(

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Go with choice B. The carrier won't give you any issues with using a used iPhone. Just go to the store, and tell them you need a new SIM card.

This won't hold back your upgrade and will not require you to sign a contract.

You should try using MobileMe to track your phone down. It might help recover it.

3. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I do that by signing up for mobileme all over again? Because currently I don't have it - I let it run out without renewing because I wanted to save the money. I think I can log in though, using the same details I use in the itunes/app stores.

(wish I hadn't. Been better if I'd saved on bus money, since the bus service sucks anyway. Walking would have done my rear good too).

I'll try to talk to the provider tomorrow before I put money down on an ebay iphone. The system is totally rotten, but you do get a few hard-working, smart people in it who try to do right by the customer so I might be lucky

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

also, did you talk to the store manager about reviewing their security footage with the police? I'd be surprised if they didn't have cameras.

sorry to hear about that.

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Look on craigslist for your iPhone. Search for iphones within 20 miles of where it got stolen you have a chance of finding it. Order by newest listings, also try calling it see if it's on. If it is talk to your AT&T about tracing your phone via the gps built into it. They might sympathize with you and help you out.

Getting **** stolen sucks, I can't imagine how mad and sad I would be if I got my iPhone stolen. You have every right to be mad.

6. Full of Win, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I know hindsight is 20/20....but did you have the FREE find my iPhone app installed. Apple gives the service for free and with GPS, I would guess it would be good enough for warrant.

Sorry to hear about you phone, I hate people sometimes.

If you had it in there before, it might still work. I thought apple had free mm accounts for those who want it for free, so your old one might still be able to track it. Don't wait until morning, do a live chat with mobile me NOW! Calling apple will do nothing, they will tell you live chat. The longer you wait,bthe more time they have to remove the sim and jail break it.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you have AT&T, it should be no problem.
    Find my iPhone is free now.

8. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

probably not, and not because they are squeamish about privacy. Besides, they wouldn't do it because businesses here are insanely spoiled and allowed to get away with being as secretive as they want. 'mere' property theft wouldn't cut it, even though I've been a regular for over five years and was very distraught, they still tripped all over themselves to remind they have no liability (I wasn't even implying they did!).

But anything is worth a shot. Thanks for the idea, and the support.

There's no cragslist here (heck, there's practically no web usage unless you count exchanging dumb vids on facebook, so I can't even think of an equivalent). But thanks so much for the sympathy/validation; it means a lot. People are so used to this type of incident here that some will go so far as to blame the victim for 'being careless' - I had it out of my sight for SECONDS! while I was packing up a foot away from it! and it was like way inside the store, not right by the doors where the thief might dart in and steal stuff right off the table. IT was even sat under a couple notebooks! But everyone is like, your phone is stolen, yeah, so what? Totally business as usual because for many here phones are either basic and functional (like my old samsung) or evidence of conspicuous consumption, in which case one status symbol is just as good as the next (heck, getting it stolen and replacing it immediately even reinforces their image of being filthy rich!)

No, I didn't have that app. It's the first I hear of it, actually. I only knew about the remote wipe but I don't see how to do that - is there still a way? And I can't do a live chat because there's no official apple presence in this country (yeah, it's one of those). There's only a measly helpline that isn't open for a few hours yet and in any case it's already nearly ten hours since :(:(

People totally suck sometimes. These kids were a total waste of food that could have gone to aids orphans. They each had a bunch of expensive gadgetry of their own, all sleek black stuff lined up on the table! One of them had a 17" vaio, and they were all decked out in designer duds. But they were a pain right from the beginning: they had this bell like you get on hotel reception desks, dunno where they got it, and they'd just randomly ring it and they record it to play on their phones, and they would horse around and move the whole table - one of those huge, monastery style ones that weigh a ton.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Sorry, I told you wrong (writing too fast on my iPad). You do not need the app installed to use Find my iPhone. With the app, you can see all your registered devices, sorry for the confusion.

All you have to had done would be the slide the "Find my iPhone" slider in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Mobile Me > Find my Iphone. From there you can log into your account and do a remote wipe, send a message to the phone or locate it on Google Maps. With my iPad 3G and iPhone 4, its shows the room I'm in when I use it....its that good.

10. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to the mobile me site, logged in, but I just got a pop up saying Find My iPhone isn't enabled, set it up using an ipod touch, ipad, or iphone 4. So, that's probably that :( I don't know I'm probably grasping at straws, but I seem to remember setting up with some different details than my itunes login details (which I tried now because they're all I remember without digging up the list of passwords I have hidden) - is that even possible do you think?

It's really screwed up because I am slowly realizing that I didn't really do a lot of initial set up on this device, not like I do with other devices I buy where I do extensive tinkering with settings and buy all the cases needed at the beginning and evaluate the risks to the device etc, because I basically jumped in with both feet right into using it: I bought it a few days before leaving on an extended weekend, which was followed by three weeks intensive touring where I used it massively for maps, emails, web, everything. A big part of it is just because of how intuitive this works, so it kind of slid into my life so seamlessly nad quickly and was an such a great fit with how my mind works, that I think it kind of never fully registered that I needed to really think about protection - it would be like losing a section of my mind or something. It doesn't help that where I live used to be a safe place with a lot of community feel, but has gotten very bad only in the last few months, and it's always hard to gauge how bad things are until something like that happens to you or you see it up close in some other way.

11. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

you know, I think we might be getting somewhere with that (I took steps today). So, thanks for the idea! I'll let you know if it really does get somewhere. fingers crossed!