Stupidest "Life" Mistake You have Ever Made

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Nov 15, 2008.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd have to say not going to college straight out of high school was pretty effing stupid.

I ended up having to work full time and finish my degree at night school in my 30s.

That year I didn't pay estimated taxes when I was freelance was pretty stupid, too. :D

2. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I think mine was going to College straight out of High School, I went to go, took a crappy general arts program dropped out after first year, f-ed up my funding and now I will only have partial funding so I have to make it work.... So 2 plus years of feeling like I'm going nowhere.

3. D.M.S macrumors member

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Gary that is interesting that you find it to be a mistake that you didn't go to college straight out of HS. I know I did and it was a short-lived career there for me. Once I got a job pulling down a whopping $1600 a month no one could tell me I wasn't awesome. I was becoming a poor student because I was more interested in working. I returned to school less than 10 years after that and hammered out my BA and MBA (once I stopped dicking around in community college) in a matter of 4 years.

My opinion is that I have work experience that other people my age don't normally have. When we have to list our years of experience in the industry for rating agencies at work and I pony up nearly 14, people are rather impressed. Not that my education isn't impressive, but you get the point.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'm not telling on a forum searched by google :eek:

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

7. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Wasting 14 years of my life serving a country run by greedy, stupid politicians who are so out of touch with what "real" people want.

8. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

A man asked a woman,"Will you marry me?" She said no and he played a lot of golf, drank beer, farted whenever he wanted and lived happily ever after.
    Mine said,"Yes"!

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Got a couple of these :(

Not going to the big posh school.
    Not going to uni with my girlfriend, went to a nearby one and had a good, but lonely time :eek:
    Going out a few days after a friend died.

10. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Agreed!

I'll just say that I did some things that I'm not too proud of in college and I'm glad that they were done back in NY and not here in CA.

:eek::(:eek:

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So far I haven't made too many big life decisions, being 20...prep school followed directly by college was kind of a foregone conclusion (one that I'm very happy about, though). We'll see how I fare when I get out into the lovely job market of two years from now.

Don't most people?

12. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Sure, but it is usually things like "I wish I partied more, studied more, not drop-out, made more friends" and such.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There are a few things I've done that didn't go so well, I probably wouldn't be where I am without them, thus I couldn't really say.

14. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Leaving the Army, when I did. If I had stuck it out, I could have retired a few years ago, and had college under my belt too.

Still kicking myself for that.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Gave 4 years of my life to a bad relationship.

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Dropping out of med school , thinking it would take too long for me to get all the schooling done
    and here I am still in school today 9 years later :rolleyes:

18. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Not going out with a friend/love-interest when the opportunity arose, due to a band of ours that wasn't gonna go anywhere.

Kicking myself over that one.

19. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

One of my female friends, wanted to be "friends with benefits". I declined because I had a girlfriend at the time.

Yea that was stupid.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

An astute observation I would say.

We are a product of our life experiences. Without them, we would not possess the wisdom that we have today.

21. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

23. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

24. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

wow. did you know that the majority of successful marriage happen between the ages of 28 and 35. I think i read too much.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^
    That's true. But my folks were married at 19/20 (respectively), had no problems in their marriage and they're mid 50's now. Grandparents all married when they were 17-18 too and they're all still together.

There is that. And I'm very thankful for where I am, I just wonder what would have happened if I moved to a different uni, moved out of my parents place. Might have been the making of me :eek:
    Whereas now I have to wait till I can afford a regular apartment/house and until my girlfriend graduates.