Stylus for OLDER iPad (not PRO)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by OldManJimbo, Jan 4, 2017.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I use iAnnotate on an iPad Mini. My current stylus works a bit like a fat crayon. Is there a FINE TIP stylus that works well with iAnnotate? I'm OK with one of the battery powered "smart" pens, but I don't think they work on the Mini I have. Is there a basic stylus with a FINE point?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have a Mini 4 (as well as a 12.9 iPad Pro + Apple Pencil) and I use the following styli on my Mini 4:

DotPen by Dot-Tec. Looks like IOGEAR has the identical one (different branding) for nearly half the price of the DotPen

Adonit Jot Classic - the clear disc allows for more precise usage.

Bargains Depot rubber-tipped stylus - although not a fine point, the rubber tips on this are smaller than the typical rubber tipped stylus.

Nothing beats the Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro, but I have had great success using the DotPen on my Mini 4 (and Air 2 before that).

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Thank you SRACER - the DotPen looks perfectly suited for my work.
    I narrate audiobooks and need a pen that will replicate the function of an actual pen on paper.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Before I changed to iPad Pro and Apple Pencil I went through goodness knows how many different styli for the other iPads from a lot of different manufacturers.

The only two I ever really liked were the Adonit Jot Pro, for a disc based non-powered stylus. But my favourite was the Adonit Jot Dash, which is a powered stylus but it's not Bluetooth, so works with any touchscreen and any app and because it's not Bluetooth the battery lasts ages.

It's the closest to an actual pen I ever found, being powered means it's got a tip about the size of a ballpoint and doesn't have one of those annoying discs to scratch the screen, or break off. It's not expensive and it's the one I generally recommend to people who can't or won't use the Pencil

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

I would caution you and say don't expect "pen on paper" with any of the Non-Pencil stylii. In my experience, at BEST you can expect 50% of the Apple Pencil Experience (writing only - for drawing it's not even that high).

For writing, the best stylus I've ever used on the Mini is the Wacom Fineline.
    (Note - mainly used with OneNote.)

6. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Cool - not expecting perfection, just need something with better accuracy than the big fat rubber tipped thing i'm using.