Sub Threads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacNut, Apr 19, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it possible to start sub threads? This would be nice to have if you want to have a conversation thats off topic but related to the main thread without having to start a whole new thread.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oooh I hate that in other fora.
    People never, ever get the replies right and the differnt branches get all bollixed. Plus it makes it harder to read with all the indents and outdents and "no I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to him..."

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not sure how its done in other forums but my idea is that only the thread starter has the option to use it. And its only used for the long running threads where conversations will get so big and confusing anyways.

The thought was brought up in the baseball thread of having a separate Yankees Red Sox thread. I would think rather then start a new thread to make a secondary conversation in the baseball thread to keep the conversations together.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Have you tried Hybrid Mode or Threaded Mode in the Display Mode drop-down menu at the top of this page? They give you a hierarchical view of the thread, based on replies.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im thinking more of a live secondary conversation.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

In this instance, maybe the best thing would be to start a new thread(s) and reference it in the original thread. For something like this, where there might be a lot of Red Sox discussion and a lot of Cubs discussion in addition to the general baseball discusssion, maybe go to the effort of creating the splinter thread and then use the report post button to see if the Mods could put a reference to the new threads in the original post. That way it keeps the general discussion clear, but still lets newcomers know where the more lively Sox discussion went to.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

interesting thought, but this forum doesn't have that sort of functionality.

It's a common problem in forums, and I have yet to find a good solution.

full threaded comment systems exist, but they have something to be desired too. I'd love to hear other comments/ideas about it as it's an area I'm very interested in.

arn

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So at the moment the only thing we are able to do is start another thread and link to it.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's what should happen, in my opinion, if we had such a feature. If I were designing this feature, here's how I might have it work:

Threads can be related in a super-sub (parent-child) way.

When you reply to a thread, you have a choice to "create sub-thread". That starts a new thread, which for posting purposes is completely separate.

But the two threads are linked for forum displays and are always displayed together. When you display the main page of a forum, the New Posts list, or a search result of threads, the sub-threads of a given thread are always shown, indented, following that thread.

You could create sub-sub-threads in the same way, so the forum display would be a tree structure with many levels of indenting.

A user display option would let people suppress the display of sub-threads. A search option would let people limit searches to parent threads vs. all threads.

There would be a way to add and break the parent-child links after the fact, although maybe that would be reserved for the moderators so they could correct mistakes or detach sub-threads that outgrow their parent.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

That would be the best way to do it but would you want to limit the amount of sub threads to keep it clean and less confusing.