Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
guys have you noticed that after the update the the "changes" tab in cydia is not updating?

I don't think it actually updates until a certain amount of new packages are added. Mine says it was last updated at like 5:12 AM this morning (don't have my phone next to me to verify, but it was around 5 AM). I've launched it a few times since, and it does "check for new" items, but if there are no new ones, I don't think it will update, if there's nothing new for it to show.

scar88

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
London
I don't think it actually updates until a certain amount of new packages are added. Mine says it was last updated at like 5:12 AM this morning (don't have my phone next to me to verify, but it was around 5 AM). I've launched it a few times since, and it does "check for new" items, but if there are no new ones, I don't think it will update, if there's nothing new for it to show.

should it not show "Cydia Substrate" which appeared in changes today? and which i updated

Last edited:

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
should it not show "Cydia Substrate" which appeared in changes today? and which i updated

I imagine it should have if you had the older substrate installed already, (I did not, since I knew it did not work with the 5s), so I of course did not see it as a change. I know that when there was an update to TetherMe (which I did already have installed) it did in fact show up in the changes section.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
No kne knows then the next ios release is coming. They say march bit only apple knows. And yea it's safe to jailbreak now.

I think it is safe to say that a new iOS is coming out well before March. 7.0.5's changelog will probably be brief and only include "Security fixes" and will likely be released in early January. I wonder what those security fixes will be... hmmm... At that point, even if you are still on 7.0.4, and have an issue with the jailbreak, you will have to restore your device and try again. The only problem is that your only restore option will be to 7.0.5. So I would strongly suggest jailbreaking now, even if you don't install any tweaks.

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
With Cydia Substrate installed and seems to be working on iPhone5, is it safe to take out Bootstrap? Thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
With Cydia Substrate installed and seems to be working on iPhone5, is it safe to take out Bootstrap? Thanks

I have no problems with rebooting with the new CS on my clean (I'e just factory restored it and haven't installed anything like the old MS fixes) iPhone 7.1b2.

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
I have no problems with rebooting with the new CS on my clean (I'e just factory restored it and haven't installed anything like the old MS fixes) iPhone 7.1b2.

You don't have bootstrap installed right? Coo, I'll uninstall that and use CCSetting

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
Thank you saurik! Everything I loaded seems to be up & running. Been a long time coming. Just need to figure out what goodies I had on my old 4s. Don't suppopse there's a way to restore my old jb'd settings somehow... :rolleyes:

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Thank you saurik! Everything I loaded seems to be up & running. Been a long time coming. Just need to figure out what goodies I had on my old 4s. Don't suppopse there's a way to restore my old jb'd settings somehow... :rolleyes:

Did you use PkgBackup or similar? Even then, restoring to a different phone is asking for trouble...

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
Did you use PkgBackup or similar? Even then, restoring to a different phone is asking for trouble...
Honestly wasn't sure. Seems like I just need to scratch my melon & try to remember all the goodies I used to use. Still tryiing to sort a few things (like some icons in Zepplin), but it looks like I have most of it back.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Far better to start again, but it can be frustrating when you go to use a tweak and realise you haven't installed it!
Paid ones are easy, they are listed in your account, it's those flipping free ones that cause all the problems...

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Newbie Question?

I got a dumb question, new to JB, the terminology, everything.

Anyways, MS is now out and updated to work with 64bit (5s) I see. Are there many tweaks what work with 64bit (5s) devices? I haven't been checking the JB scene lately, is cool to go ahead and JB our iPhones now or should I cont. to wait? Are there still a lot of bugs, should I wait to update? My wife is scared I'll ruin my 5s, her 5c and our Air. I've never JB before, I've always been on Android which rooting was so easy.

Thanks.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
There are threads containing a running list of working tweaks for the 5s.

Simply run the jail break. Install the updates cydia prompts. Install cydia substrate and then start doing a bit of home work.

So far I use barrel , bite SMS , f.lux and ccsettings.

Enjoy the journey.

Simply hook up to iTunes and restore if you don't like it.

We are here to guide you so don't hesitate in asking any questions.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
I got a dumb question, new to JB, the terminology, everything.

Anyways, MS is now out and updated to work with 64bit (5s) I see. Are there many tweaks what work with 64bit (5s) devices? I haven't been checking the JB scene lately, is cool to go ahead and JB our iPhones now or should I cont. to wait? Are there still a lot of bugs, should I wait to update? My wife is scared I'll ruin my 5s, her 5c and our Air. I've never JB before, I've always been on Android which rooting was so easy.

Thanks.

Jailbreak is easier than rooting on android

this jailbreak doesn't have many bugs is very stable and you can always go back to stock just keeping your ios device backed up

there is a lot of tweaks that will make your ios experience better with the jailbreak so it is recommended to do it :)

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Jailbreak is easier than rooting on android

this jailbreak doesn't have many bugs is very stable and you can always go back to stock just keeping your ios device backed up

there is a lot of tweaks that will make your ios experience better with the jailbreak so it is recommended to do it :)

Ok I'm going to go ahead and try it. 2 quick questions.

Is there a chance I could brick my phone jbing?
Do you know a site that has a tutorial on how to jb, install MS, cydia, etc? I'm new to all this and would love a step by step. I'm on windows 8.1 and have a 5s.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK

Do you know a site that has a tutorial on how to jb, install MS, cydia, etc? I'm new to all this and would love a step by step. I'm on windows 8.1 and have a 5s.

1) no
2) run Evasi0n

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

You can't actually brick it; a simple DFU restore would bring it back to a usable state (if you have a broken home or power button, not advised to jailbreak until you fix those)

You can jailbreak with evasi0n7 from evasi0n.com

There are numerous YouTube tutorials to jailbreak (I even made one myself). It's really easy to jailbreak really

Once jailbroken, open cydia and let it do it's thing. And then open it again after it resprings your device. And choose user and update all

And then you can search for tweaks to install (it'll automatically install mobile substrate so don't worry about that part)

Btw, it's now called cydia substrate but means the same thing

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Go to http://evasi0n.com/ download. Run it.
It jailbreaks, and installs cydia. Open cydia and update all. What more do you need to know?

Um, what is MS, how do you install it, what is the purpose of it? So I just JB my phone using evasi0n and I do nothing else. How do I install the tweaks, etc. I'm sure there is more involved with JBing than 2 steps.

----------

You can't actually brick it; a simple DFU restore would bring it back to a usable state (if you have a broken home or power button, not advised to jailbreak until you fix those)

You can jailbreak with evasi0n7 from evasi0n.com

There are numerous YouTube tutorials to jailbreak (I even made one myself). It's really easy to jailbreak really

Once jailbroken, open cydia and let it do it's thing. And then open it again after it resprings your device. And choose user and update all

And then you can search for tweaks to install (it'll automatically install mobile substrate so don't worry about that part)

Btw, it's now called cydia substrate but means the same thing

Thanks for actually responding with a polite response, I appreciate the help. Real quick, should I use the 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 beta? Does it really matter?

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Um, what is MS, how do you install it, what is the purpose of it? So I just JB my phone using evasi0n and I do nothing else. How do I install the tweaks, etc. I'm sure there is more involved with JBing than 2 steps.

----------

Thanks for actually responding with a polite response, I appreciate the help. Real quick, should I use the 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 beta? Does it really matter?

MS was Mobile Substrate which has been replaced by Cydia Substrate and if you follow the steps I said it will be installed.

1.02 fixes problems with the iPad 2 and is safe to use.

Jail breaking installs Cydia which is an alternative App Store where you will find tweaks to install. It is very simple, why are you trying to make it difficult?

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
MS was Mobile Substrate which has been replaced by Cydia Substrate and if you follow the steps I said it will be installed.

1.02 fixes problems with the iPad 2 and is safe to use.

Jail breaking installs Cydia which is an alternative App Store where you will find tweaks to install. It is very simple, why are you trying to make it difficult?

Ok thanks for the info I'll go ahead and try it. I was just reading that jailbreakqa site and just saw people having issues was just concerned that's all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.