Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preludica

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
you need to be logged in.... default tool is at the bottom of the first post

successive tools were listed later - and I think the good tool for firmware revision D is at the top of page 13

Thanks for the help. I've downloaded the tool linked to the first post and I was reading about the one on page 13. I am starting to wonder if I'm in over my head. Can I just run this tool and it will update my firmware or is there more to it?

----------

I currently have FW version: MP11.005C.B08

Is it okay to run the updater?

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Ok, you have Rev C

Download the tool off the FIRST PAGE, FIRST POST

Yes, all you do is run it, kinda
Make sure you have an internet connection - dont recall if it needs to be ethernet, dont think so
It'll shut down, then hold the power button till you hear a beep, then let go, then it'll take a few to reboot, then you'll likely only show ONE processor, REBOOT, all will be well

Follow the instructions - don't remember if theyre in a readme or if you're prompted by the app

Probably a good idea to reset PRAM and SMC after a third reboot

preludica

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for your help TableSyrup. My computer is now identified as a 2,1 but I still have this terribly annoying beep when I start my computer or run the cpus at 100%. Got any other suggestions?

preludica

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
well I feel stupid. I just realized it was the ups making all the noise. Time to upgrade! I guess a 750 is no longer enough.

davidb367

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Add another MacPro 1,1 to x5355

I finished upgrading my MacPro 1,1 to x5355. Everything works just fine with the old firmware.

I did have one frustrating issue. One of the memory cage screws was loctited so bad it stripped out. I'm going to drill out the screw and replace it with another one this weekend.

The processors are "unknown" in the about box, but other than that, works great.

jonnyice

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
I successfully upgraded last night. Kudos to this thread! We followed that German video and man those two screws near the bottom are a sure-fire strip candidate. Even broke one of my screwdrivers haha. We were able to use pliers and get them off though. The combination of this and my SSD upgrade has things moving amazingly fast, thanks :). OH by the way...even if you are a knucklehead like me, please buy the long narrow torx or hex. I had to use two extenders with my screwdriver and miraculously (yet, barely) was successful!
be800220.jpg

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I finished upgrading my MacPro 1,1 to x5355. Everything works just fine with the old firmware.

I did have one frustrating issue. One of the memory cage screws was loctited so bad it stripped out. I'm going to drill out the screw and replace it with another one this weekend.

The processors are "unknown" in the about box, but other than that, works great.

Do the upgrade to 2,1 and it will fix the unknown, or you can get the CPUinjector.kext and it will fix it (if you don't want to upgrade to firmware 2,1).

walindour

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all of the crucial info in this thread. I have been itching to donate the MP 1,1 to my wife in exchange for a shiny, new rMBP. I even had one on order but the reality of the total cost was killing me. So I canceled before being stricken with buyer's remorse and another cc bill.

I found this thread today as I was heading to the Apple Store to rub on the rMBP and "give it some more thought". All I really need at this point is anything faster than the stock 1,1 processor and some SSD speed. I very much appreciate the expertise and although this seems like an extremely straightforward upgrade, I'll be back to brag or ask questions. thx!

jonnyice

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
After upgrade to SSD and processors...my machine boots to desktop in 20 seconds...that impresses me haha.
Thanks for all of the crucial info in this thread. I have been itching to donate the MP 1,1 to my wife in exchange for a shiny, new rMBP. I even had one on order but the reality of the total cost was killing me. So I canceled before being stricken with buyer's remorse and another cc bill.

I found this thread today as I was heading to the Apple Store to rub on the rMBP and "give it some more thought". All I really need at this point is anything faster than the stock 1,1 processor and some SSD speed. I very much appreciate the expertise and although this seems like an extremely straightforward upgrade, I'll be back to brag or ask questions. thx!

CRAIG1591

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Australia
I'm looking to perform this upgrade on my MacPro.
I currently have the 2.66.

Can someone confirm whether any of these Processors are suitable?
Or provide a link to something suitable.

I hope #1 is suitable as it is located in Australia, where I live.

#1 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Xe...20479864?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1c2d61f978

#2 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATCHED-...UAD-/261138531184?pt=CPUs&hash=item3ccd11c370

#3 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATCHED-...UAD-/251187674135?pt=CPUs&hash=item3a7bf3bc17

#4 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200849794971

Also, I currently have Snow Leopard installed. Is it just a matter of upgrading the CPU's and starting the machine again? Or do I have to do an update etc?

Last edited:

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
the price of x5355s have come down so much since I purchased mine back in May.

You can pick them up for about £60 on ebay each, I paid around £250 for 2!

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
i just picked up a pair of x5355's for $120USD.

will be doing the install sometime in the next week. Prices are sure dropping for this particular model.

Washuu

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
i just picked up a pair of x5355's for $120USD.

will be doing the install sometime in the next week. Prices are sure dropping for this particular model.

Same here, X5355 SLAEGs and 16gb of RAM. $300 is a better cost comparison as a hold over until a new Mac Pro arrives. Even then it will still be a great slave video encoder to free up the main Mac Pro when I get it. I could have paid less, but I found a company that makes a 16gb kit with Apple design memory heatsinks.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
just did the swap - from 6082 geekbench (64bit) to 10,281 (64 bit).

not bad for $120+shipping!

this will be a great secondary slave machine now - just gotta pick up some ram.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
geekbench 10,281 (64 bit).

not bad for $120+shipping!

I was really tempted to go this route. Still wondering if maybe I should have.

I wound up giving buying the Mac Mini (Late 2012) - 64-bit Geekbench 12813 and giving my Mac Pro 1,1 (16GB RAM, 256GB OWC SSD, ATI Radeaon HD 5770) to my mom. Replaced her Power Mac G5 7,3 (dual 2GHz).

I've noticed my monthly electric bill is down, and it's much cooler in my office without the Mac Pro dumping all that heat.

The new Mini is pretty awesome, except for the random black / blank screen issue that frequently requires a reboot. :D
--

sackytar

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Finally did this and tossed in 12 GB of ram as well. Things a beast now!!

So can I I run a newer version of OSX other than 10.6.8?????

Thanks

qeg9FTP.png

cplconstruction

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Help with Macpro 1,1 to 2,1 firmware upgrade

Hi forum,

Can someone please help with the firmware update from 1,1 to 2,1. I have just installed 5365 CPU's and the machine is running great.

However I am struggling to get the firmware update to 2,1.

I had downloaded what I thought was the correct file but it turns out to be 2009-2010

the other link that I try to follow (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html) comes up with a "Failed to open page" error. I did manage to sign up at the netkas forums but could only do it from my MacbookPro and cannot get back into that site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
It appears the site is down... I might have this somewhere on my mac pro.. I will let you know when I find it.

Cheers,

PPCMM
:apple:

Hi forum,

Can someone please help with the firmware update from 1,1 to 2,1. I have just installed 5365 CPU's and the machine is running great.

However I am struggling to get the firmware update to 2,1.

I had downloaded what I thought was the correct file but it turns out to be 2009-2010

the other link that I try to follow (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html) comes up with a "Failed to open page" error. I did manage to sign up at the netkas forums but could only do it from my MacbookPro and cannot get back into that site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

cplconstruction

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
It appears the site is down... I might have this somewhere on my mac pro.. I will let you know when I find it.

Cheers,

PPCMM
:apple:

PPCMM - thanks mate. However don't worry about looking for it as the program link that Tesselator sent me for some reason works. The thread link won't so a bit weird.

Anyhow updated the firmware and all working well. Cheers.

----------

Cheers, the program link worked fine.

Thanks for your help.

Colin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.