Success Case; 3.1 to 4.2.1 [both untether-JB] + more solutions

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TheGenerous, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TheGenerous, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

How to upgrade to and keep jailbroken iPad 4.2.1

Once I got the iPad the 1st month of release I used spirit to jailbreak and kept using iTunes 9.2.1 or something until this week.

Updating iTunes to latest 10.1.1(4) didn't mess up with the JB on 3.1 (example; angrybirds progress remains untouched).

The update; using iTunes I uploaded to 4.2.1 by pressing the option key and the restore button, then selected a downloaded iPad1,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

Updated succesfully, and once it got the lock screen I turned off the iPad. Then I went right away to use the newest redsn0w.

The Jailbreak; Using redsn0w_mac_0.9.7b4 right after the update, I first clicked on "install cydia" and then once the iPad rebooted, I ran again the same redsn0w and unchecked the "install cydia" and now checked the " Jailbreak Monte (untether)" and loaded the iPad1,1_4.2_8C5115c_Restore.ipsw

Once done, I unplugged the iPad, rebooted and kept all the previosuly JB apps and settings from the 3.1 JB

Everything is working good.

**MORE SOLUTIONS**

silverblack's solution;

IT worked well, and here's what I did (a little bit differently):

1. My hosts file had "74.208.10.249*gs.apple.com" (don't know if that mattered)
    2. Put iPad in DFU, opt-restore to 4.2.1
    3. Let iPad restarted when connecting to iTunes, and it activated
    4. I did not continue with setting up the iPad with iTunes
    5. Ran redsn0w_mac_0.9.7b6
    6. Followed instruction and linked to the 4.2.1 ipsw
    7. I then clicked BOTH "install cydia" and "Jailbreak Monte (untether)" and linked the iPad1,1_4.2_8C5115c_Restore.ipsw as directed.
    8. Redsn0w did its work, restarted, and all good.

Neous's solution;

this might not be a solution for some as it requires 2 machines.

My ipad is finally jailbroken untethered but i had to use 2 machines to complete it.

on the imac i did the following:
    1. Opt + restore to 4.2.1
    2. launch redsnow and install Cydia (this took me a couple of trials, don't ask me why)

on the mbp
    3. Launch redsnow and install Jailbreak Monte
    et voila

2. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

where and how does it store your previous jailbreak settings? like you cydia apps and tweaks? or did you have to use pkgbackup or similar?

thanks

3. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

4. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Once I updated to 4.2.1 I didn't even check Cydia, after I got the lock screen (the one that says "slide to unlock") I turned it off and applied redsnow. The first thing you do with redsnow is install Cydia, then I applied redsnow with the "Jailbreak Monte (untether)" and afterwards I opened cydia and installed "installous" and "NoMute". All the other settings, apps I was working on like pages or goodreader, all of them kept the setting I had before the update and the JB.

No bluetooth. I never used it with the ipad before so it's alright with me for now.

5. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I followed these steps and now have an untethered 4.2.1 JB as well! I too don't use bluetooth so this is fine for me until the final JB is released for 4.2.1.

6. lokerd, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Is BT definitely dead? Is there a new version of redsnow beta that doesn't kill BT? I JUST got it set up to connect iphone to iPad for BT photo transfer when wifi isn't available.

If I just stick to the tether JB, which I have successfully running on an iPhone 4 and my wife's iPad that came with 4.2.1.

On the iphone 4, I don't use it for phone calls...have a separate phone for that. So, I was willing to test/risk it...and it has been really stable, with sbsettings, winterboard for tap to unlock, miwi, etc. Also, my wife's iPad has been really stable.

So, I am ready to jb my original iPad that has virtual memory hack, sbsettings, infinidock, categories, and several other hacks.

Does anything need to be removed before upgrading?

Will everything be still on the iPad when I get through updating it?

Do I do the same steps outlined here but use the tether jb?

Is there anything I should know before attempting to upgrade my older iPad to a jbed 4.2.1?

Edit: Ah crap! Forgot about the USB port power issue. I have a cck...even sold the sd card reader...keeping only the USB adapter because I have several cf cameras. The USB adapter with card reader worked perfectly. Is there a fix for this yet?

Thanks!

7. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

Do you happen to have Retinapad and MyWI installed?

8. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Now that redsn0w beta 6 supposedly fixes the bluetooth issue, I tried re-jailbreaking with it to try to re-enable the bluetooth but nothing changed. Has anyone had success with getting bluetooth to work on your 4.2.1 JB iPad?

9. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

All mine work if I don't install RetinaPad and MyWi together.

10. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I tried uninstalling RetinaPad but my Bluetooth still shows as unavailable. I hope I don't have to start from scratch again by reloading the firmware. Any suggestions to someone who had JB'd with redsn0w b4 to get Bluetooth working again?

11. megax macrumors member

has anyone gotten untethered to work with beta 6 , as soon as i get to the limera1n step it stops at around 95% and the ipad boots up

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so the only issue here is the bluetooth doesnt work anymore??

13. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^I'd like to get an answer to that too. I rely on bluetooth tethering when I'm out and there's no wi-fi to be had. I really want to install XBMC on my iPad and see how it runs 720p MKV files :\

14. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

15. haken macrumors newbie

Hi,

i just did this, upgrading from 3.2.1 to 4.2.1 untethered. I can't reproduce it, all my Cydia apps are gone, all my reg. Apps gone anyway. However Bluetooth seem to work.

I was using redsn0w 0.9.7b6 on an iPad Wifi 16GB. I was able to connect from my Mac to my iPad via BT. The iPad itself didn't find other online BT-Signals like my Mac or my iPhone, but i guess this was the same before - moreover since my iPhone actually behaves the same way. On the other hand I didn't really use BT on iPad until now.

16. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Yeah, Bluetooth was fixed since the thread stsrted. Beta6 has working BT...

17. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

My iPad is working pretty great so far. I had 3.2.1 and pretty much followed this post. The only thing I did differently was I clicked option+update instead of option+restore. Had to redownload winterboard and iTether(which is working just fine with my iPhone 4 via BT).

I just can't get the damn iPod icon to disappear and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the iPod controls in iOS4 :(

18. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Good to know. I'm stuck waiting for an untethered 4.2.1 JB.

19. Neous macrumors member

Neous

thanks for the post
    I'll give this method a trial

20. zerostar macrumors regular

Isn't his 4.2.1? and isn't his untethered?

Sorry... I thought thats what this thread was about?

21. haken macrumors newbie

Maybe that's the trick in order to keep one's apps. However, purging all my stuff gave me the motivation to purchase all the tested-as-good installous-apps. Now I'm clean again ;).

22. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

This jailbreak is untethered if you follow the directions here, just follow them exactly, and DO NOT go into Cydia to install anything while tethered. I installed something that required a reboot and it gave me a hard time shutting off.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do with it without "iPad1,1_4.2_8C5115c_Restore.ipsw" since you're now able to. But a couple minutes of searching and you can find it.

23. feeth macrumors 6502

So will the SD card adaptor still work?

TIA!

24. feeth macrumors 6502

If I was a dumbashe and upgraded to 4.2.1 the normal way via iTunes, can I still JB via this guide?:eek:

25. war eagle macrumors 6502a

How'd you go from 3.1 to 4.2.1? I got to the SHSH blobs on my new iPad and it failed. Grrr.