sucks to get old...........

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
47 here and say about 12 mentally.
I don't drink/smoke/do drugs so I tend to clown around..........a LOT.
that said there are plenty of things you simply can't ignore, you body is like a machine, if you don't schedule regular maintenance for it the machine will do it for you (break down)
with winter my slightly over weight body starts to complain, knees/ankles hurt , I can't for the life of me run so I only get to use the bike if I am to exercise. my vision deteriorating as well, went from 20/20 to 20/25, not that bad but still noticeable .
my current biggest concern is in yob security, hard to find employment as we get older, I have seen many CNC programmers come in to apply as machine operators so that puts me on edge should anything happen to my current employment.

so as much as I like being 12 mentally I am beginning to realize things suck as we get older, been told many times to act my age but I have never been this old before.................

rant over.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
47 here and say about 12 mentally.
I don't drink/smoke/do drugs so I tend to clown around..........a LOT.
that said there are plenty of things you simply can't ignore, you body is like a machine, if you don't schedule regular maintenance for it the machine will do it for you (break down)
with winter my slightly over weight body starts to complain, knees/ankles hurt , I can't for the life of me run so I only get to use the bike if I am to exercise. my vision deteriorating as well, went from 20/20 to 20/25, not that bad but still noticeable .
my current biggest concern is in yob security, hard to find employment as we get older, I have seen many CNC programmers come in to apply as machine operators so that puts me on edge should anything happen to my current employment.

so as much as I like being 12 mentally I am beginning to realize things suck as we get older, been told many times to act my age but I have never been this old before.................

rant over.

I'm the opposite: When I was twelve, in some ways, I wasn't far off 47 mentally.

Not only was youth wasted on me, I had no idea how to be young, even as a student.

But, yes, I must say I rather like middle age, I feel as though I have finally come into myself.

ScorchWeasel III

Suspended
Nov 23, 2018
Bar fights are just the same. :D
Bar fights are massively overrated. It's great when you're punching at other people, swinging barstools about, and generally having an all around good time.

But eventually some rude person takes things too seriously, and decides to punch back.

Then it's just not any fun anymore.

Reactions: nospleen and MacNut

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Bar fights are massively overrated. It's great when you're punching at other people, swinging barstools about, and generally having an all around good time.

But eventually some rude person takes things too seriously, and decides to punch back.

Then it's just not any fun anymore.
And I would earnestly hope that they would punch back hard, (and accurately) and that the bar-person would bar (all puns intended) you from the premises in future.

Me, I go to pubs to drink quietly, or to meet friends for a chat over a few drinks.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Why is that?

More often than not, people trying to get into running start off waaay too ambitious. Apps like couch to 5k, coaching you 'til you easily run 5 km, may help there.

Regards, Max, age 48, running in excess of 1200 km per year
I am on the far left, the short/fat/old/ugly one

MY feet/ankles hurt as much as my looks do, I just can't put that much pressure on them. I should get them checked. at the last physical they just said I need insoles/foot supports/shoe inserts.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I am on the far left, the short/fat/old/ugly one

MY feet/ankles hurt as much as my looks do, I just can't put that much pressure on them. I should get them checked. at the last physical they just said I need insoles/foot supports/shoe inserts.
But, you're the one with the widest smile. And, I agree with @arkitect - you are far too hard on yourself; nothing wrong there.

In my case, I can feel that my knees are beginning to ache somewhat.

Loki.Mephisto

macrumors 6502a
Well - I also got flat feet. However, no big deal, even my orthopedist suggested to keep running ("if you got no problems, I see no reason to stop").
After all, running is the most efficient workout you can get.

My advice would be: try it - supervised at best by your doctor/orthopedist

Last edited:

jagolden

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2002
Too true about age and job market/security.
It not "how much experiencedo you have", rather it’s "how little can I pay a newbie with no idea of the company workflow".

Always stay sharp and watch your back.

Reactions: jkcerda

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
if I am not hard on myself I can end up with restraining orders..........
when women say , "how cute, can I touch it and kiss it?" they are talking about the puppy................
And that is when you reply, why thank you, of course you can, omitting to add, we have mind melded, you know.

Some people rather enjoy my natural exuberance, I find.
Throwing punches and flinging barstools isn't exuberance. Even in your mind.

Witty and intelligent conversation works better, every time.

ScorchWeasel III

Suspended
Nov 23, 2018
Throwing punches and flinging barstools isn't exuberance. Even in your mind.

Witty and intelligent conversation works better, every time.
Well, if you can mix and match...

If I'm there swinging a barstool around, quoting Sarte, you won't know what to think. All you can do is sit there, mouth agape at the spectacle. I find I win more arguments that way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Well, if you can mix and match...

If I'm there swinging a barstool around, quoting Sarte, you won't know what to think. All you can do is sit there, mouth agape at the spectacle. I find I win more arguments that way.
Sarte? Or Sartre? Do enlighten me.

Anyway, unless I am reading Scott Lynch, Robert Jackson Bennett, or Elizabeth Moon, I'm not much of a fan of swinging barstools.

No bar stools. No brawls.

Just artisan beer, fine wines, and good intelligent, informed, and preferably witty conversation.

Re ageing, @jkcerda, knees can be an issue, agreed.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
But, yes, I must say I rather like middle age, I feel as though I have finally come into myself.
I have to say I can identify with that. My early life was pretty messed up and it's taken me till middle age to feel like a normal human being. I had some bouts of poor health earlier in life and learned to take better care of myself. Knock on wood, but my overall health is better now in my 40's than it was in my late 20's and 30's.

But I can sympathize with @jkcerda too. I used to get some pain and power through it. At worst, I might need some ice later to get it to recover faster, but every ache and pain has to be managed proactively now or it might spiral into something that'll be a lot more serious or even career threatening. I changed careers several times and was good at everything I did, but that much change means you always feel a little insecure about your place.

Reactions: jkcerda

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'm 20, and they say youth is wasted on the young, but it's just so fun to waste it...!

You seem like you have a good life and family, so that's the kind of thing I'd aspire to when I reach your age. :) Although if I have my books, my records, and my cats I think I'll be good.
all cats are always plotting to kill you my friend, I know, I have 3 of them :p