Sudden Battery health drop-off.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MarkMissoula, Aug 2, 2010.

1. MarkMissoula macrumors member

On my 2008 alum i have over 800 cycles and have always had 95% health or better. But today i just noticed the health has dropped down to 65%:eek:
    What gives? This according to ISTAT Pro. In my power settings it says my battery is in fair condition. I realize the battery is getting old, but that health drop-off was fast!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. Xenophon macrumors regular

How did you get to 800 cycles in 2 years? Anyway, calibrate, then look but even if the battery has to be replaced count your blessings, not everyone makes it that far. If I could sign up for a battery that lasts guaranteed 2 years, never mind the cycle number, I'd do in in a flash.

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Take it with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that iStat is a 3rd party app. But still... the battery should probably be changed if calibration doesn't fix it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...interested to see if your "after calibration" results are better?

7. MarkMissoula thread starter macrumors member

Calibrated it and the health went up to 73%. But now it seems to drop off a cliff when it reaches 25% charge and the health goes down to 54%. 830 clycles in a little less than 2 years, so yea i guess i need a new battery.
    Which ones on Ebay are any good?

8. MarkMissoula thread starter macrumors member

830 cycles in less than 2 years. Bought it in Nov. of 2008.

9. MarkMissoula thread starter macrumors member

Recalibrating it seemed to bring back the Battery as my Health is now back to 95%. 845 cycles and counting and on my way to 1000.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What are you doing to do 45 cycles in just over 10 days? Seriously?

iStat, iStat Pro and other 3rd party apps (like coconut battery) get their information directly from System Profiler.

11. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

My late 08 2.4 MB is displaying similar behaviour. it's at 102 charge cycles and usually hovered between 90-100% for the first seventy or so charges. Now even with calibration it starts off at 92% health and 99% capacity. after using it for an hour it says "service battery" and health drops to the 70% mark.

12. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

lol you guys are lucky. Calibration actually lowers my battery health at first, and then it slowly gets back up to 93-94% as I begin using it again. When I very first calibrate, my health will be like only 88%, but then like I said, as I continue to use it, the health goes back up to hovering in between 93-94%. Weird I know...but whatever works haha

13. MarkMissoula thread starter macrumors member

45 short cycles in 10 days. I was only getting about 2 hours. And yes i do spend a lot of time on line. Today my Health has dropped to 75%, so i guess its time to shop for new Battery.