Sudden Motion Sensor working strange in Unibody!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akcasoy, Dec 15, 2009.

1. akcasoy macrumors member

Hi guys!

I got a macbook pro 15 recently and i was trying out the applications on the Net. I tried smacbook which works with the sudden motion sensor of the hard disk...
    Also i tried liquidMac app.. But what i realised is, they both didnt work for me well..
    when i lay down macbook through left side, the liquid must go to left for example, but nothing happens, actually when i move laptop through forward or backward they are moving.. It is like the hard disk was horizontal before and my disk is like vertical??? Do you have any idea??

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't think those apps have been updated in a long time. The newer (and Intel) machines have a different sensitivity and, I believe, sense. I don't think it indicates there's a problem.

Try "SeisMac" - it should show you correct data (looks like this is even a couple years old, but functions correctly)

3. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

But as i heard, other people who are using the same machine (macbook unibody) do not have this problem.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Hadn't read anything about that.

For reference (on my 17" ubMBP):

X-axis positive is left up, right down (clockwise rotation)
    Y-axis positive is front up, rear down
    Z-axis >1G is lifting (as you'd expect)

SeisMac also has graphics which show which way is positive/increasing for each axis.

Just fyi - the sensor is not in the hard drive. It's built into the MacBook. There might also be a drop sensor in a particular drive, but it's independent of the MacBook and OS-X.

5. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

Mine is like this

Y-axis positive is left up, right down (clockwise rotation)
    X-axis positive is front up, rear down

And suggestions?? Can it be broken or sth?
    OR is there any way to play with this directions?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

So the X and Y axis are swapped. I don't know of a specific remedy - I suppose it could be some kind of manufacturing defect, but I can't imagine what. AFAIK, it's a single device. It could simply be the way this particular model MacBook is designed. The applications (including SeisMac) make certain assumptions about the machine(s), but there isn't a published API for the SMS (unless that's changed very recently).

You could try resetting the SMC, but otherwise, I don't have any other thoughts. Functionally, it doesn't really matter, since the system would be looking for rapid changes in acceleration to determine if/when to park the hard drive heads. It's certainly a strange anomaly, though.