Suddenly shuts down/ Safari won't run after update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Meemeew, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Meemeew macrumors newbie

Okay, so a few days ago my iBook G4 began to shut down for no apparent reason. It doesn't even really shut down, it just turns off. When it happens the battery isn't dead, but I think it has been disconnected form the power cord. It doesn't happen very often maybe just once a day, but nonetheless it is annoying. Any suggestions?

Next, I downloaded an update for safari which failed to install anyway, and now safari won't open. When I click on the icon it doesn't really bounce as it normally would. It just jumps once and nothing...I have tried opening it from finder, no dif there. I tried to download a security update today, but the installer "quits unexpectedly".

I currently use firefox anyway, but I am afraid that this is the start of something bigger. Not to mention that I have had word documents erased because the computer dies suddenly.

Please help.... OS X 10.4.11

2. Meemeew thread starter macrumors newbie

So I don't know if I have Safari running or not. I downloaded a "webkit", and now the webkit runs safari, but if I try to run safari by clicking the icon it doesn't work. Is webkit the same thing as Safari? I am so confused.

3. Khryz macrumors 6502a

When I tried to launch Safari the past couple days I get the spinning beach ball. Every single time. So I deleted it and went to re-download it and all that is on the Apple website is 3.1.1 or an upgrade version of Safari. When i go to install it it says it can't install on my HDD, it says it needs to be OSX 10.5.2 or higher - but I'm at 10.5.4 - what gives?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

webkit is a browser engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webkit

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well Safari stopped working for my wife on her MacBook. It was the 10.5.4 update or the Safari update, don't know which. I downloaded Safari from Apple's site and when I try to install it I get the same message about OS needs 10.5.2 or higher. -FRUSTRATING-

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

instead of downloading safari, you need to download 10.5.4 package and re-apply it.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I ended up reinstalling the original Safari that came with my MacBook (off the OS Install Disk) and then applied the 10.5.4 combo package. That worked. Thanks! :)