Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
It was fine before but today when I had a notification about OneNote update:

1- nothing was showing in "Discover" (the star icon) except "unable to connect to AppStore;
2- after a reboot, no more error message but unable though to complete update, spinning circle and appstore agent stuck and preventing sleep. I have to kill it in Activity Monitor...;
3- Tried
Quit App Store
Open Terminal
Copy/paste in open $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/ after

$
Hit Enter
This should open a Finder window, with the folder com.Apple.appstore highlighted
Delete its contents
Open App Store and run updates
Copy/paste in open $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/ after $
Hit Enter
This should open a Finder window, with the folder com.Apple.appstore highlighted
Delete its contents

No luck...

Also: https://macreports.com/mac-cannot-connect-to-app-store-fix/

No luck neither...

Two Mojave iMacs plagued with this bug but my trusty MBP early 2011 still on Sierra has no AppStore problems.

Oh yeah: disconnected user also done and re entered credentials, no luck.

Anyone else? Or an alternative solution to resolve this bug. It looks I have all sort of problems with Mojave Appstore since a while...

**I even uninstalled OneNote completely but AppStore bugs me to update,,, but the app isn't even on my drive???

Thanks,

Patrice

Last edited:

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Oh well, correction, it didn't solved itself:

The second iMac was still unable to complete downloads so I've repeated all the steps:

• On your Mac, complete the following steps:
    1. open the Keychain Access app (Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access).
    2. Click “System Roots”.
    3. Double Click “DigiCert High Assurance EV root CA”. keychain certificate settings
    4. Click “Trust” to expand it.
    5. Change “When using this certificate” from “Use System Defaults” to “Never Trust”.
    6. Now restart your Mac.
    7. And, when your Mac is on, follow the same steps to change “When using this certificate” back to “Use System Defaults”.
  • On your Mac, follow these steps:
    1. Open Finder.
    2. From the top menu, click Go > Go to Folder and enter the following:
    3. /var/db/crls/
    4. Click Go.
    5. Delete these files: “crlcache.db” and “ocspcache.db”. You may have to enter your admin password.
    6. And then restart your Mac.
**Source: https://macreports.com/mac-cannot-connect-to-app-store-fix/

Followed by unlogging from my AppStore account then:

Quit App Store
Open Terminal
Copy/paste in open $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/ after

$
Hit Enter
Delete its contents

I'm not sure if a specific order was needed but I had to unlog/log from AppStore even after the Certificate reset procedure.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Yes, you are right: just tried to download a previously installed app (Cinebench) and spinnning circle and stuck AppStore agent process... Back to square one. I’ll remove the « Resolved » tag.

We aren’t certainly only two people with this bug?

Last edited:

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Just made a quick test: in folder "$TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/", the preflight package is downloaded (Cinebench) but it stalls there...
Capture d’écran, le 2021-02-17 à 21.14.46.png

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
... and now I begin to be seriously unsure... Got rid of the var/db/crls database, reset the Digicert Certificate (disabling and then re enabling), cleared $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/, unlogged and logged back on in AppStore... and it works but I'm really not sure that the procedure and the result is related in any way??? Clueless...

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Another reboot, not working.

1- Deleted database in var/db/crls
2- cleared $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore
3- Reset (disable/enable) Digicert Certificate in Keychain
4- Tried to download Cinebench again, not working.
5- Unlog from AppStore and deleted again $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore
6- Login in AppStore and it worked???

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
I have problems with Nojave updates, too. Another symptom: On the account page, all the download apps have the cloud icon. It seems that the receipts aren't recognized.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Happening here also. App Store did work til a few days ago. NO UPDATES when required; they spin forever. I close AppStore app and open again. This time, no updates are presented.
I restart my iMac. AppStore again shows two updates available (one of them OneNote also), and it fails again.
I think I'll wait for some days, as this error seems to be on server side; I doubt it's related with something on the mac.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Happening here also. App Store did work til a few days ago. NO UPDATES when required; they spin forever. I close AppStore app and open again. This time, no updates are presented.
I restart my iMac. AppStore again shows two updates available (one of them OneNote also), and it fails again.
I think I'll wait for some days, as this error seems to be on server side; I doubt it's related with something on the mac.
I really hope it’s on their side, annoying!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I really hope it’s on their side, annoying!
That would be nice, but if it was a server issue I think it would also affect my High Sierra install which still works perfectly.
I'm pretty sure my Mojave install was able to download from the App store up to the first 2021 (001)security update.
This update was not perfect because Apple quickly released a second update (002) 5 days later.
So based on that I guessing maybe it is still causing the problem for us with the App Store.
Time will tell, hopefully. :rolleyes:
Edit:
Did an NVRAM reset and the App Store downloads worked for awhile, but sadly it has stopped working again.

Last edited:

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
That would be nice, but if it was a server issue I think it would also affect my High Sierra install which still works perfectly.
I'm pretty sure my Mojave install was able to download from the App store up to the first 2021 (001)security update.
This update was not perfect because Apple quickly released a second update (002) 5 days later.
So based on that I guessing maybe it is still causing the problem for us with the App Store.
Time will tell, hopefully. :rolleyes:
Well, I noticed some slow down of app startup on login on my Big Sur box. It could be coincidence, but there was a similar issue on release of Big Sur, IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.