Suggest a game for me

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MacAndMic, Sep 23, 2010.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I am looking for suggestions on a new game. This will be my first Mac game ever and I am hoping you guys can suggest one that is hopefully visually stunning and addicting.

The reason for visually stunning is I have the new iMac i7 2.93, I want to put this thing to work.....well, when I a not working ;)

The reason for addictive, I have always been a FPS type of player and while I still enjoy CODWAW, CODMW2 and L4D2 I am looking for something different. Another FPS is welcomed but I do not think there is anything out there as visually stunning as what I already play?

Thanks for any and all input.

troutspinner

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Have you played Crysis? I can't say they still have "stunability", but the Half Life 2 + Episodes and even Unreal Tournament 3 are beautiful, fun games.

Crysis:
    [​IMG]

3. jinco1 macrumors newbie

jinco1

Hey troutspinner,

Have you played Dragon Age: Origins? It's not FPS, its more RPG/MMO-ish, if you ever played Mass Effect or Baldur's Gate this is done by the same people.

It looks sweet and it's really addicting, the expansion just game out called Awakening.

You can check it out and get the requirements here, this is the official Mac game site: http://gametreeonline.com/bioware/dragon-age-deluxe

Theres Deluxe version too!

Let me know how it goes!:D

4. racketeer71 macrumors regular

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sims? Or maybe a racing game....although they are certainly not FPSs. They usually have nice graphics though.

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Halo CE is always a classic even though it is old if you play on your newer mac you can be amazed how good the grahpics were for something that came out almost 10 years ago IF you have Xbox Live and bootcamp I'd also throw in Halo 2 Having Achivements is a plus and I hear the level editor is suppose to be amazing and you can still play online due note you need vista or Win 7 for Halo 2 but I have seen some haxs to let Halo 2 work on XP

7. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Starcraft 2. haha. Any of the Blizzard games are solid and run natively on OS X. I would also play all the Half-lifes as someone else suggested.

8. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am still undecided though. I think I might just pick something and see what happens.

troutspinner

9. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Portal.
    It's the greatest fps puzzler ever made. Short and sweet, maybe not 'stunning' but if you haven't played it already, it's a treat.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

World of Warcraft. It's very addictive and, although the graphics could not be called visually stunning, they are still pretty good.

11. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Are we talking only OSX native games or is Bootcamp an option?

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

For adventure puzzle games, I recommend the tales of Monkey Island. Available through Steam. Otherwise, Half Life 2 is very good as well. As is Portal.

PS. Crysis isn't a game. It's a benchmark.

13. josh002 macrumors newbie

14. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Metro 2033 is beautiful although possibly even more hardware demanding the Crysis.

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

@ troutspinner,

You've already installed Bootcamp right? If not, do that first and grab at least Win Pro 64-bit.

Then we can talk games. BUT, I hope you didn't buy this iMac ONLY for gaming -- which I doubt, because that would be silly. ;)

16. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

if you read the first post it says when I am not working so that means I am guessing he uses it for work. I would suggest BBC2

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If he's locked into the CoD games, then might as well wait til 11.9.10 and get coD Black Ops, game looks great, much better than MW2.

If not, get steam and grab L4D2 and TF2!

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Why should I read.. That's why I have assistants.=P * sarcasm*

19. HawtTuna macrumors member

I'm going to go with Team Fortress 2. The artstyle is great and it's a real breath of fresh air from all the gritty, brown realism. It runs like crap on my Macbook, but it should run fine on your iMac plus it's only ten bucks right now.