suggest: ipad with 4g vs mefi for person w/o internet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by l2yangop, Jul 6, 2012.

1. l2yangop macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am trying to dump the ripoff that is comcast. I am thinking about using just an ipad 4g with tethering for my additional laptop or perhaps going with a verizon mefi device.

Anyone have experience with either of these options? I really don't need more than a GB or two a month...

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Might as well do the iPad w/tethering, unless the extra money up front is an issue.

3. cbott macrumors newbie

I've used my Verizon iPad with LTE to tether to my computer and have been very impressed with the speeds. I'm sure the MiFi is the same as far as that goes, but with the capability already in the iPad I'm not sure I would want to carry an extra device with me. Just a thought.

The other thing I would consider is the battery life on the MiFi's. My Grandma has one and it doesn't seem to last very long. That isn't a problem because you can run it while connected USB to the computer, but how useful is that if you want internet on the iPad and the MiFi dies. You'd have to pull your laptop out all the time.

Hope that helps a little.

4. Vizin, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I am pretty sure the iPad has free mobile hotspot (basically MiFi feature built into the device) on Verizon and unlike the MiFi, the iPad doesn't require a activation fee.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

My sister is, in her own words, 'not a techie'. I just found out that she is using a Verzion MiFi for her iPad Internet needs at home as well as travel. Her reason is that she doesn't even realize what a router is and her laptop is plugged into a wired connection. But in her case she says she only ran into issues once when she downloaded 13 episodes of some TV show she was interested in. She had $10 of overage that month and she did complain that the downloads 'took a really long time' (well, DUH).

She's happy with the setup. The main pain is that she has to move it from room to room. But she doesn't seem to mind.

7. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I would strongly suggest getting the new iPad with the 4G option for Verizon. The monthly fee for internet service is much less, there is no contract, and I've even read that the speed is faster with the 4G device embedded in the new iPad. I have a Verizon mifi device and an iPad 2 wifi and it works for me because I have multiple devices that need an internet connection. Just make sure that you have LTE service in your area...

8. l2yangop thread starter macrumors newbie

As always you guys are so helpful! Decision made. thanks!

9. citivolus macrumors 6502a

what did you decide to do?

10. 617aircav Suspended

So you want to leave one ripoff company for an even bigger ripoff company like Verizon? How much data do you expect to use on 4g. Thats the real question.