Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Apple now tends to release updates to iOS/WatchOS/tvOS/OS X all at the same time. At least for developer updates. When that happens, the front page gets flooded by these stories. And especially for developer updates, all of them are not of massive interest to all of MacRumors reader base.

I would like to request that these stories be combined to one single story "Apple Seeds Updated Betas of OSes to Developers". I have to page-down five times to get past them all on the front page. Or at least make the front-page listing for them extra-abbreviated (one paragraph plus one picture at most?,) requiring a click-through to see the full story.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd imagine that one potential problem with combining the stories into one would be the comments, as there would be too many different things being discussed in one place.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Slix

macrumors 65832
Mar 24, 2010
I think moving them to the iOS Blog, and Mac Blog sections would make more sense, because the average reader probably doesn't care about the 4th developer beta of the next versions of iOS, OS X, watchOS, and tvOS.

Putting them in one thread causes issues for the comments, though, as mentioned.

Reactions: grahamperrin

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
AT&T turns on wifi calling, a big feature many people have wanted for years and the editors post an article on the iOS blog about it. It easily hits 200 comments.

OS X beta version 10.11.2.21.2.2.1 seeded to developers and it always hits the main page. They barely get 50 comments combined. Such a waste of my energy in scrolling by.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, we definitely want to keep the stories/threads separate to avoid jumbling the discussions, but we'll take another look at putting some of them lesser important ones on the blogs so we don't cram everything onto the front page all at once.

AT&T turns on wifi calling, a big feature many people have wanted for years and the editors post an article on the iOS blog about it. It easily hits 200 comments.

OS X beta version 10.11.2.21.2.2.1 seeded to developers and it always hits the main page. They barely get 50 comments combined. Such a waste of my energy in scrolling by.
Pretty sure all of our AT&T Wi-Fi Calling coverage was on the front page.

• Wi-Fi Calling Now Available for AT&T Users

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Yes, we definitely want to keep the stories/threads separate to avoid jumbling the discussions, but we'll take another look at putting some of them lesser important ones on the blogs so we don't cram everything onto the front page all at once.

I remember it being a positive news story for AT&T being relegated to the iOS Blog and two or three days later Verizon did the same thing and it was front page news. I'm going to go back through my posting history to see if I can find it and PM you, because I wasn't the only one that complained about it in the post. Multiple members pointed it out.

That being said, these updates still flood the front page with little new information that the majority of people simply don't care about it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I remember it being a positive news story for AT&T being relegated to the iOS Blog and two or three days later Verizon did the same thing and it was front page news. I'm going to go back through my posting history to see if I can find it and PM you, because I wasn't the only one that complained about it in the post. Multiple members pointed it out.

Sure, happy to take a look if you can find it. I don't see it right off the bat.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Sure, happy to take a look if you can find it. I don't see it right off the bat.
Found it. I got the details mixed up. ATT raising UDP $5 made front page, VZW raising UDP $20 made the iOS blog. I understand the ATT price increase followed the Verizon price increase. But Verizon increasing their rates $20 is huge news and should have made the more visible front page. Or the ATT story should have been relegated to the iOS blog as well. The distinction comes across biased.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
What if they added a develop blog? Idk, just a thought. But, I agree, the fourth dev beta gets annoying when I have four of them to scroll past. Generally, they have the same text as the last beta also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.