Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizonlogo-250x64.jpg
Verizon customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans, which the carrier stopped offering to new customers in 2011, face a $20 increase in their monthly bill starting November 15, according to CNET. The monthly cost of unlimited data will rise from $30 to $50 as a result.

The rate increase is yet another move by Verizon to encourage customers to move from unlimited data plans to tiered data plans. Less than 1% of Verizon customers still have an unlimited data plan, according to a company spokesperson, but those remaining few are often stubborn about switching.

Verizon customers with unlimited data plans are required to pay full retail price for smartphones, although grandfathered subscribers do qualify for the company's monthly installment plan for new devices.

In the United States, Sprint and T-Mobile are the two largest nationwide carriers that continue to offer unlimited data plans. AT&T stopped offering unlimited data to new customers in 2010.

Article Link: Verizon Customers on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans Face $20 Price Increase

teddbell

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
This seems like a reason to get out of the contract without an early termination fee. They used to have a line in the contract that said the contract was void if the rate changed. I used it back in like 2009 or 2010 to get out of a Verizon contract, based on the the fluctuating federal universal service charge. People may look into that. I don't know if the contract has changed since. Im with ATT now.

EDIT: It seems like the posts below have corrected me. Apparently this is not referring to people on contract, or at least is implemented after the contract expires. Sorry!

Last edited:

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Welp... Dont get any ideas att...

Also, imo, if they were raising my price and i was with verizon. Id drop them and go to a competitor. Prices are damn near the same with att. And lower with tmobile. How can anyone support this behaviour? At least ATT raised my unlimited cap.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Looks like they're doing everything they can to get people to give up these plans. Guess they figure that if those customers won't switch to capped w/overages data, then they can make some extra millions off them in the meantime.

They seem very determined to get that extra revenue out of their customers. Since unlimited data users avoid overages, they just decided to pull an extra $20/mo from them out of nowhere.

Last edited:

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Glad I gave up the UDP plan earlier this year. This price increase would have killed it for me, since we had two lines with UDP. Figured it was only a matter of time before VZW started doing something to further reduce the UDP folks.

It does stink though, and I do feel for the folks who have jumped through hoops to keep their plans for so long.

Reactions: jamielt

Supermallet

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2014
This seems like a reason to get out of the contract without an early termination fee. They used to have a line in the contract that said the contract was void if the rate changed. I used it back in like 2009 or 2010 to get out of a Verizon contract, based on the the fluctuating federal universal service charge. People may look into that. I don't know if the contract has changed since. Im with ATT now.

Yes, it would be a reason to get out of your contract, if they were changing the prices for people on contract, which they are not. Once you are off contract though, the price hike goes into effect.

I am currently on contract with unlimited data with Verizon. I will be switching to T-Mobile when my contract expires. Verizon can go jump in a lake. Or the sun.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
This is when AT&T is upgrading people's legacy plans to unlimited minutes and text for some with unlimited data. Please AT&T don't stop I have not received my text confirmation yet for the free upgrade.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
If you have an unlimited plan you don't have a contract.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
How are they legally allowed to do this?

Many of the UDP plan folks aren't under contract. I hadn't been under contract with VZW since 2012 (and I am still not). So, just like your cable company or power company or any other service, they can raise your rates anytime. You, are always welcome to respond by leaving their service, however at this point, I think VZW isn't too worried about it.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Verizon for making me not feel bad about really utilizing my unlimited data plan now. Previously I was conservative as I didn't want to draw unneeded attention.

$50 USD for unlimited data on LTE is actually a very good deal! No overage fees to worry about. But then again, typical cable providers offer more than enough data for an equivalent price, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.