Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ammoune78

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2017
Mine have the GT 120, i don't know if this would happen, but once the cable on my hand, i'll report that. I do not know, if i can install a new and clean windows 10 as UEFI, some says it can, while others say, it can not be or doesn't have any benefit. I'll try that!

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Mine have the GT 120, i don't know if this would happen, but once the cable on my hand, i'll report that. I do not know, if i can install a new and clean windows 10 as UEFI, some says it can, while others say, it can not be or doesn't have any benefit. I'll try that!
You can keep the GT120 in, if you desire. Not power hungry, fine to see the boot. Some users says it might give some problems (visualisation) but if it doesn't, I would keep it in. At least keep it in at first to install the drivers for the new card on windows and then is up to you to decide.
Different is the ATI5770 that requires the sata thing, sadly I cannot remove it or my system goes crazy.

Strange enough, I tried disabling the ATI5770 in devmgmt, but windows still uses it, also when disabled.
I do not know what is going on here, why would windows depend on the ATI5770.

Moreover, it goes hot at idle (61~62°C) also when nothing is plugged in. That card is hunting me at night. (It is hot here though, I am sweating just by standing in the room so that is probably why it is hot but still...)

Last edited:
Reactions: ammoune78

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You can keep the GT120 in, if you desire. Not power hungry, fine to see the boot. Some users says it might give some problems (visualisation) but if it doesn't, I would keep it in. At least keep it in at first to install the drivers for the new card on windows and then is up to you to decide.
Different is the ATI5770 that requires the sata thing, sadly I cannot remove it or my system goes crazy.

Strange enough, I tried disabling the ATI5770 in devmgmt, but windows still uses it, also when disabled.

Moreover, it goes hot at idle (61~62°C) also when nothing is plugged in. That card is hunting me at night. (It is hot here though, I am sweating just by standing in the room so that is probably why it is hot but still...)

Windows can only disable the driver, not the EFI.

Once your disabled the driver. The EFI will take over again, and driving the card, but there is nothing to control the card's power (properly). That's why the idle temperature goes above 60C (the GPU unable to go into low power state) and the card still displaying.

For GT120. After disable the driver, the card can easily go above 70C.

It won't kill the card. But just doesn't sounds like a good idea to run any hardware without proper driver and power control.

ammoune78

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2017

May i suggest you, to clean that card! Disassemble it, clean it from dust, make a new thermal paste, wash the PCB with an electronic alcohol cleaner. Mount it, and it will be ready to go another time like new, and not hot like before. I did that with some graphics cards, that i supposed they have hardware problem, but the result is better like new, and the card will be more cooler.

Reactions: Dr. Stealth

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Windows can only disable the driver, not the EFI.

Once your disabled the driver. The EFI will take over again, and driving the card, but there is nothing to control the card's power (properly). That's why the idle temperature goes above 60C (the GPU unable to go into low power state) and the card still displaying.

For GT120. After disable the driver, the card can easily go above 70C.

It won't kill the card. But just doesn't sounds like a good idea to run any hardware without proper driver and power control.

The ATI5770, disabled or enabled, runs hot. The fan are spinning and they blow quite fresh air, but the card is still hot.
I tried MSI Afterburn to check on it, but it won't even read the temperature, so I use GPU-Z.
I cannot take it out, because otherwise windows will not boot. (Still to understand why.)

May i suggest you, to clean that card! Disassemble it, clean it from dust, make a new thermal paste, wash the PCB with an electronic alcohol cleaner. Mount it, and it will be ready to go another time like new, and not hot like before. I did that with some graphics cards, that i supposed they have hardware problem, but the result is better like new, and the card will be more cooler.

That sounds good but... I have not the skills.
The most I can do is cleaning the fans with a can of compressed air.
I am not an expert of hardware, I have little experience (and believe me, I committed crimes, ask my old iPhone 5S..)

I was really anxious about the GPU upgrade. I cannot tear apart a GPU and do maintenance because I would only do "breakenance".

ammoune78

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2017
The ATI5770, disabled or enabled, runs hot. The fan are spinning and they blow quite fresh air, but the card is still hot.
I tried MSI Afterburn to check on it, but it won't even read the temperature, so I use GPU-Z.
I cannot take it out, because otherwise windows will not boot. (Still to understand why.)

That sounds good but... I have not the skills.
The most I can do is cleaning the fans with a can of compressed air.
I am not an expert of hardware, I have little experience (and believe me, I committed crimes, ask my old iPhone 5S..)

I was really anxious about the GPU upgrade. I cannot tear apart a GPU and do maintenance because I would only do "breakenance".

If we speak iPhone, yes, i'm too, and i still can't touch it anymore, as the parts are too small. But, for the graphics card, honestly, there's nothing difficult, in contrariwise, it's pretty simple. All you have to do is, unscrew, start cleaning the Heatsink, the PCB and the GPU chip. After that, do a thermal paste, a good one, then screw everything. Trust me it's too simple, i was scared like you, only 4 months a go. I did my first GPU disassembly and cleaning, for an SAPPHIRE R9 280X TOXIC edition, that had too much artifacts, noise and become too hot. It was done for about 2 hours, complete disassembly, cleaning and assembly, your card may take less, because that TOXIC have too much screws and some are hidden, but yours will be pretty simple. I just want to encourage you, because your card will reborn, yeah, i hope for you to go to that step.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
If we speak iPhone, yes, i'm too, and i still can't touch it anymore, as the parts are too small. But, for the graphics card, honestly, there's nothing difficult, in contrariwise, it's pretty simple. All you have to do is, unscrew, start cleaning the Heatsink, the PCB and the GPU chip. After that, do a thermal paste, a good one, then screw everything. Trust me it's too simple, i was scared like you, only 4 months a go. I did my first GPU disassembly and cleaning, for an SAPPHIRE R9 280X TOXIC edition, that had too much artifacts, noise and become too hot. It was done for about 2 hours, complete disassembly, cleaning and assembly, your card may take less, because that TOXIC have too much screws and some are hidden, but yours will be pretty simple. I just want to encourage you, because your card will reborn, yeah, i hope for you to go to that step.

Thank you very much for your encouragement.
If the card will present major problems like loud fans, overheating more than 70°C, I will be sure to try tearing it apart and cleaning it.
Now here the heat is hideous so maybe that is why it is a bit hot, but if the problem persists also when it will become colder I will definitely give it a shot.
Thank you!

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Greetings,

Sorry to bother you all again, but I cannot get over the fact that Windows won't boot.
The RX580 is working, MacOS uses it (I got rid of the ATI5770 because it is not worth the power it consumes and I do not want to hurt my machine).
The card is not faulty, works perfectly.
Windows won't boot at all. When I try to boot it blindly pressing ALT and right arrow, it does nothing. I have a 10000rpm Velociraptor and, believe me, the thing is VERY loud. Silent, zero. It spins a bit when I press alt then nothing.
I have to hard reset the machine and boot is MacOS to solve the thing.

I would like using BootChamp and test if that works, but since my MacOS partition is APFS, I cannot boot back in MacOS from windows (in the case it boots with BootChamp).

Why is not windows booting? It does with the ATI5770 plugged in but unused.

This thing is driving me crazy. I can give up on windows for now, until I get my hands on a GT120 that lives just with the PCI-E port and not strange SATA hazards...

Edit: I am unaware but, not having a mac GPU means no bootloader at all? also if I press alt?

Last edited:

yuzgen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2018
Must be so. I could never use option key boot blindly without a Mac GPU.

Greetings,

Sorry to bother you all again, but I cannot get over the fact that Windows won't boot.
The RX580 is working, MacOS uses it (I got rid of the ATI5770 because it is not worth the power it consumes and I do not want to hurt my machine).
Windows won't boot at all. When I try to boot it blindly pressing ALT and right arrow, it does nothing. I have a 10000rpm Velociraptor and, believe me, the thing is VERY loud. Silent, zero. It spins a bit when I press alt then nothing.

I would like using BootChamp and test if that works, but since my MacOS partition is APFS, I cannot boot back in MacOS from windows (in the case it boots with BootChamp).

This thing is driving me crazy. I can give up on windows for now, until I get my hands on a GT120 that lives just with the PCI-E port and not strange SATA hazards...

Edit: I am unaware but, not having a mac GPU means no bootloader at all? also I press alt?

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Must be so. I could never use option key boot blindly without a Mac GPU.

Thank you for your answer.

What a pity. I will try finding a gt120 then. Or, when I change the ssd of MacOS, I will format it as hfs+ so that bootcamp can be switched. Probably the best idea..

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Greetings,

Edit: I am unaware but, not having a mac GPU means no bootloader at all? also if I press alt?

That’s exactly why you can’t boot to Windows.

You can’t blindly use the boot manager, the boot menu simply not there.

And unable to go back to APFS is the exact reason why we want to use BootChamp. No matter success or not, it will only boot to Windows once. The next boot will automatically go back to MacOS.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
That’s exactly why you can’t boot to Windows.

You can’t blindly use the boot manager, the boot menu simply not there.

And unable to go back to APFS is the exact reason why we want to use BootChamp. No matter success or not, it will only boot to Windows once. The next boot will automatically go back to MacOS.

I tried but...

(screenshot)

Edit: Performed NVRAM reset, still bless fail.
[doublepost=1534605913][/doublepost]And now when I shut down it does this:

(Screenshot)

Okay.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2018-08-18 16.59.59.png
    スクリーンショット 2018-08-18 16.59.59.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Did you disable SIP? (PRAM reset will ENABLE SIP, you MUST kepp that disable for BootChamp to work)

Are you using any NTFS software in MacOS?

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Did you disable SIP? (PRAM reset will ENABLE SIP, you MUST kepp that disable for BootChamp to work)

Are you using any NTFS software in MacOS?

Oh no SIP...
I already stored the ATI5770 away... I have to put it in again? Yeah right? No way to disable SIP w/o recovery mode?

No, I am not using any NTFS software.

I need a gt120, I knew it.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
I did it, I guess. I mean, I followed everything and it rebooted when I typed reboot so I guess it worked but...
Bootchamp still will not work.
I am going to re-enable SIP and wait for December to get a GT120.

My mac is giving me pain.

Edit: pretty sure I disabled it because when I enabled it I even waited less time and everything worked. (I knew recOS booted because the keyboard would flash green).
Enabled or not, bootchamp is not working.

My only chance is to get a GT120.
Not possibile now, will wait for the holidays.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I did it, I guess. I mean, I followed everything and it rebooted when I typed reboot so I guess it worked but...
Bootchamp still will not work.
I am going to re-enable SIP and wait for December to get a GT120.

My mac is giving me pain.

Edit: pretty sure I disabled it because when I enabled it I even waited less time and everything worked. (I knew recOS booted because the keyboard would flash green).
Enabled or not, bootchamp is not working.

My only chance is to get a GT120.
Not possibile now, will wait for the holidays.

Please keep SIP disable, and open terminal, then enter
Code:
diskutil list
And put the result at here.

Reactions: crjackson2134

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Please keep SIP disable, and open terminal, then enter
Code:
diskutil list
And put the result at here.
Silly me I did not check the first time.
My Mac won't let me disable SIP.

Did the procedure, checked status and it says enabled.
Probably threw an error at me but I cannot see it without EFI card.

Pretty sure I got into the terminal with recOS since reboot command works.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Understand that, it's a bit hard because can't see anything. Only a single letter wrong in the command will make it fail (and won't don't know about it).

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Understand that, it's a bit hard because can't see anything. Only a single letter wrong in the command will make it fail (and won't don't know about it).

I will try again next time typing very carefully (although I already typed letter per letter so I guess I got it right but who knows..?)

Thank you for the help, will report as soon as possibile.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
No worries. Try that later when you have time.

For your info. If BootChamp doesn't work, there still a chance can switch between macOS and Windows without boot screen.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rn-of-microcodes.2126752/page-7#post-26270947
Hello,

No luck, it is still enabled. I do not know why.
So, I would like to try the bless command.

According to my diskutil list, should I write:

Code:
sudo bless -device /dev/disk3s1 -mount /Volumes/BOOTCAMP -setBoot -nextonly

?

I will attach a screenshot.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2018-08-19 10.23.54.png
    スクリーンショット 2018-08-19 10.23.54.png
    84 KB · Views: 170

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello,

No luck, it is still enabled. I do not know why.
So, I would like to try the bless command.

According to my diskutil list, should I write:

Code:
sudo bless -device /dev/disk3s1 -mount /Volumes/BOOTCAMP -setBoot -nextonly

?

I will attach a screenshot.

Thank you very much.

Correct, but I think the terminal command also only work with SIP disabled. Of course you can try. Nothing hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.