Suggestions on Androids

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tjb1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im hopefully going to get a smartphone this february or march. Let me start off with this...I have Verizon, not switching to AT&T and not waiting for supposed iPhone coming to Verizon moment either.

I have been looking at the Droid 2 - Motorola and HTC - Incredible. Does anyone have any other suggestions or any comments on the Droid operating system or the HTC Sense? I would like to do some more research so I don't screw up like I did when I bought my mbp($360 for 8gig of ram...)

One reason I really don't want a touch only phone like the Incredible is I had a Dare - LG and the keyboard absolutely sucked, it was always 6-7 letters behind you and just impossible to use. Since then I have always stuck to a dumbphone with a physical keyboard and currently have this POS called the Rogue - Samsung. Had potential with widgets/apps whatever they are but like every other dumbphone Verizon puts out it was quicky replaced within 6 months and all problems are here to stay. For example...phone on silent and the email makes sounds when you click through it, and no you can not turn it off.

I would be willing to go to a touch only phone if the touchscreen is similar to an iPod Touch.

Thanks for looking and hoping to hear your suggestions/comments!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My favorite Android would have to go to the Droid X. Yes, it has the same touch screen as the iPod Touch (capacative)

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I looked at the Droid X when I took a quick stop in the Verizon store and that phone is WAAAY too big for me...its like 4"x8" haha

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Oh come on it's not that big.

My advice would be to wait until january after ces and you should find some lte verizon android phones.

1 that immediately comes to mind the htc mecca ( codename) that is rumored to come out

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not sure. They progress so often. And the iPhone's touchscreen keyboard isn't the best, IMO. The screen is small, and that makes it feel cramped to me. It's still a good keyboard, but if all you're after is something as good as an iPod Touch, you'll find it.

Maybe the HTC Desire HD?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Droidx is a great phone,
    Droid 2 and the incredible are great and popular phones.

Personally I don't like HTCs Sense UI, I found that it slowed the phone too much and too invasive. Some people like it, but I was not one of them

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well that's the beauty of android. There are other launchers available in the market place. you can install any 1 of them and in fact effectively remove sense from the phone. Sense is still installed but it will no longer run at boot when you have an alternative launcher installed

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If I was on Verizon, I'd go with the Incredible. I love Sense UI.

9. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well just found out the Incredible doesnt do the mobile hotspot...kinda takes it out of the equation for me. Anyone use the mobile hotspot with Verizon with a mbp?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Verizon will charge you for the Mobile Hotspot feature.

I'd go with the Galaxy S Fascinate. I have the Captivate on AT&T (AT&T version of Galaxy S), and I just yesterday convinced my girlfriend to get a Fascinate on Verizon, and she absolutely loves it. It is a touch only phone, but the Swype keyboard is amazing, and after you get used to it, you won't really miss a physical keyboard.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The one thing you won't have is consistent updates. Samsung line is still stuck on Eclair (version 2.1 of Android), and will probably get Froyo (Version 2.2) early 2011....that's great and all, but Gingerbread (Version 2.3) was released a couple of weeks ago with the Nexus S.

In the end, go to the Verizon store and try out what phones you think you'll like.

My order of Android phones on Verizon:

Fascinate
    Droid 2 Global (Just for the 1.2Ghz processor)
    Droid X
    HTC Incredible
    Droid 2
    Droid

11. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

So the mobile hotspot isnt included in the $30 data plan? If its not I guess I wont be using that...hard enough to get my parents to go for the $30 data let alone anything extra. The unlimited plan is capped at 5GB correct?

12. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i have verizons droid 2. i needed the mobile hotspot but i didnt want to pay an extra $20 for it. i rooted it, added a free hotspot app. and im good to go. works great with the ipad as well. the droid 2 has worked well for me, no problems.

13. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

So im guessing thats a piece of hardware in the phone that lets it do it so that app wouldnt do anything on an Incredible either...

How does the hotspot work on low service?