Suggestions on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xc runner, Dec 11, 2010.

1. xc runner macrumors member

So my sister is getting a Macbook Pro because she has been having problems with her HP. I talked with her about how happy I've been with my Mac and after playing with mine for a bit I think she is going to purchase one. My questions that I couldn't really answer for her involved what her was looking in getting.
    She is using the computer primarily as a designing logos, writing reports, surfing the web and using iphoto, imovie, iDVD and such.
    Now she also wanted mobility to fit in her big purse. I had to talk her out of an Air because she is using this as her only computer and she needs a DVD drive.

From all of this I assume it should getting the 2.4 13" MBP and I would upgrade the memory to 8gb and the hard drive to something bigger. Or do you believe that she will need something more powerful for the usage? Thanks for any input!

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For what you described I think the 13" is fine and there won't be any real need to update RAM. SSD drives are coming down in price with OWC 120GB about $230. Put one of those in down the road and her MBP will boot up in about 10 seconds and be less vulnerable to bumps or bang while in use. Or get a larger hard drive like a 500gb 7200rpm Hitachi for about $65 at Amazon. She can always update the ram if needed.

If you have a Microcenter near you they have these for $999, pickup only.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A circa 2006-07 MacBook could take care of her needs perfectly; the new one will have no trouble. I wouldn't worrying about upgrading it unless she feels slowness (which I really doubt)

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Why would she want a 3-4 year old computer?

I recommend the base 2010 13" MBP ... she will love it.

5. SteveNYC macrumors newbie

I agree with Vantage Point's comment. Your sister should be fine with a 13" 2.4GHz MBP. Upgrading the memory or hard drive is easy should that be necessary. An 8GB RAM upgrade is pretty reasonable these days, but I would doubt that it's necessary.

The best advice though, *by far*, is to get yourself to a Microcenter if you have one near you. Their price is fantastic and they had open-box units available for $899 with a 7 day return policy. That is a fantastic price. I just got mine for $1,050 at Macconnection and I will have to wait a few months before I get my $150 rebate. Had I know, I would have waited and gone for the open-box units. Anything that minimizes the "Apple tax" gets my attention!

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I never said she should get a 3-4 year old computer. I am just saying that her needs would even be supported by technology from an older computer, therefore, a newer computer should just be fine.