Suggestions on Replacements from 2006 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkinblue613, Dec 13, 2010.

1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Hey guys! First time poster! I've been reading threads and posts here lately and decided to sign up and join in on the fun!

Now I've had my 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo since 2006 and it's been working ok. I say ok because it crashes a lot, overheats (180+ degrees F!!!) whenever I'm just web browsing and on Pages while writing my essays. I can't use more than 2 or 3 programs without it crashing and cooking my fingers. Sometimes, when I have a deadline due, I have to write for longer hours and my hands get numb from the heat.

Other things about it is that I've already replaced the left fan and wireless card to "802.1 n" myself.

Since it's coming up on being 5 years old, I really feel like I need a new one to not only keep up with technology but so I won't have to worry about it crashing due to overheating. MBP's are notorious for being hot but I really don't like the heat factor on mine. And people I've talked to about it always get shocked to hear 180 F! People have told me to invest in a good cooling fan and maybe I should but I honestly think rig does not keep up anymore and I can't carry a fan with me to school.

I work on Photoshop, edit movies and make songs as my hobbies. Right now, I'm interested in going for Engineering for college and am looking to replace this. I really feel like I cannot use this as my main computer anymore. Once I replace it, I will use it some sort of media center with my HDTV. If you have any other suggestions on what I should do with my older MBP, I'm all ears.

So basically, my main question's are:

Should I wait for the refresh by mid 2011 or just go for a refurbished Macbook Pro now?

And would investing in the i5 be a better option? I plan to use it for another 4 years.

I don't necessarily NEED it now, but I really WANT one :rolleyes: and honestly, anything after 2006 is a huge upgrade to what I have now.

I'm leaning more towards the 13 inch because of money. But I am open to your opinions about the 15 inch instead. Also, the refurbished ones out right now are really tempting.

Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand that you have your own, unique needs, but there have been 51316 threads about this already.

In any case, it's up to you.
    You know what they say though "If you need it now, then buy it now. If you don't need it now, then wait".

Just buy it now though. I don't think you'll be seeing an update for a while and it's not like these MacBooks won't be able to run for the next 4 years.

It sounds like you *need* a new one. You can sell your old one to recover some of the costs.

You kind of contradict yourself because you say you "can't use it anymore" but you "don't need a new one" so I'm just confused lol
    Maybe you should try fixing your old one. (new thermal paste, more RAM)

3. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I apologize if this thread annoys people. I have read all the other ones as well and still find it hard me to to decide.

I don't think this particular machine of mine is going to get me enough money to sell it. I don't have the box and there's too many things wrong with it to get anything more than $100. If anything, I should have done that a long time ago while it was still in pretty good condition.

I could keep fixing it but eventually I'm going to have to replace it..

Thanks for replying.. I'm probably going to get a new one in like two weeks. My main issue now is 13 or 15... haha And yeah, there are a million threads on it but a lot of people are saying the Core 2 Duo is pretty much "dead". So I'm kind of hesitant to invest in that.

4. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

5. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Core 2 Duo isn't dead, just people on here say it is because they know a new processor will come out soon, which I think is being seriously overrated.

It sounds like your current MBP has done it's time, now it's ready for the recycle bin. So I'd say that by what you say it is time to get a new laptop, I've already said that Sandy Bridge is overrated, so no real reason why to wait. The question is, do you want a 13 inch or 15 inch?

6. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Thanks for the advice!

You're right about that, if I get stuck waiting for the newest and latest thing, I won't go anywhere but wait. lol

That's the thing about the 13 and 15. Compared to what I currently have, the 13 blows it out of the water by A LOT. But if I look at it from a long-term perspective, it seems like the 15 inch is the more logical choice because its got better specs and value later on.

Size wise: I really don't mind the difference in weight and size, I've lugged around my 15" to school, abroad and all around the house no problem. Then again, I've also never had a 13" laptop so I don't have anything to really compare it to.

Spec wise: Well, obviously the i5 is better than C2D.. The graphics card in the 15 is slightly better than the 13. Screen is better in the 15.. And I am used to the larger screen. Again, I've never had a 13 to compare it to.

I did go to Best Buy the other day and checked out all the Macbooks out side by side. At first glance, I did not really like the way the 13 was set up. It looked tiny compared to the 15. But money wise, it seems like it'd be good enough.

My question is, is it worth it to pay the extra money for the 15?

The thing about redesigns is that they still have issues when they're first released. That's what I witnessed with my current MBP almost 5 years ago. At least with the 2010 model, I know they had a lot of time to fine tune it and stuff. So honestly, I'm more inclined to get the 2010 model.

As of the moment, I am looking to get a refurbished MBP or use my student discount.

7. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I've walked into plenty of stores and seen a 13 inch next to a 15 inch, and I know what you mean by looks wrong. What I did was simply, I made the dock larger, in my opinion it look fantastic. My previouse laptop was 15 inch (non Mac), and currently I have a ****** little netbook with a 9 inch screen and I hate small screens, but I think Apple have done an excellent job on the 13 inch version. Here in the UK a basic 13 inch MBP is £999, and a basic 15 inch MBP is £1,499. I myself just can't justify a spending what is really 50% on 2 more inches of screen space, despite the i series CPU.

8. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

You're right, I can probably use the extra cash to purchase a case and other accessories. And probably Applecare as well.

Would any of you strongly suggest Applecare? And can you buy it anytime or do you have to do it when you get the laptop?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would strongly recommend it. You can buy it anytime before your one year warranty expires.
    If you plan on keeping the computer for over a year, buying AppleCare is wise. Wouldn't you be pissed if one day it just wouldn't turn on?

10. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Oh most definitely! It probably would be a good investment since I'm planning on keeping it for a while.

Are there any accessories/upgrades I should consider when purchasing a Macbook Pro 13?

11. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I'd at least get a sleeve and/or a bag for it for some protection (I have a sleeve and a laptop backpack for instance). Good choice going with the 13 - a relative of mine has one and the weight difference is small but noticeable. Oh, and have you considered the MacBook Air?

12. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I agree. I'm planning on getting the Speck Satin See-Thru case and a silicone keyboard along with a sleeve.

I considered the Air, but I don't see myself being able to use it for more than a year or two. Also, the Air, in my eyes, is a secondary laptop.. I'm planning on using the new laptop for a while and it will be my main machine. Even though it is SSD, I need the larger HD space from the Pro.. BUT i love how its so portable.

I also think media wise, it would be easier and more convenient to use Photoshop, iMovie and Logic on a Pro...

Do you think the Air would be better? I'd like to hear your opinion on it because I am just unsure about going that route.

13. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I'd buy Apple care the day before the original warranty is due to run out, that way you get more value for your money.

Don't get an air if the MBP is going to be your main computer, and I believe if you are going to do a little bit of Photoshop here and there then the MBP would be better suited in anyway.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha, when I was buying my Mac, I created a thread with the same exact question! lol

You can see that thread here. You might find something in there. :)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=968746&highlight=

The only thing I ended up getting is the Moshi Keyboard Protector because I hate when I get stuff between the keys. The next thing I probably would buy in an Incase sleeve.

Oh, and for Apple Care, its costs $249.99 + tax from Apple.
    Get it from here while you can for $174 with no tax.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook.html

I would buy it at most 2-3 weeks before the original warranty runs out. A day is a little too close for me. I'll probably end up buying the extended warranty whenever I have the money and find a good deal.

15. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Awesome! Thanks for the links!

So I'm guessing I can buy the AppleCare and keep it locked away.. Then a few weeks before 1 year expires, I take it out and register it? If that's the case, sounds like a great idea!

I firsthand have experienced it with my iPhone, the screen stopped working twice.. Meaning, I can still turn it on but I can't unlock it because you'd have to "slide" it with the touch screen. Got my original replaced.. Then the replacement did the same within 2 weeks. People have told me you need to repair the equipment three times before you get a new one but they did it without question when I brought it to the Apple store. Since they're more expensive, is this different with laptops?

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, they'll just repair the laptop instead of replacing it.

Also, you get Applecare for 3 years from the purchase date, so waiting until the last day to activate it is just plain dumb. If something happens that day and yo can't, you're SOL.

As far as laptops... I have a 2006 Macbook Pro, too. Mine's in pristine condition, but I would suggest waiting for a refresh. The buyers guide is helpful in telling you that it's been 246 days since it was updated, and the average is just 208. It was also last updated in April. I'd expect an update in a month or two, max.

Also, get the 15"... I think. I don't think I could use a 13" for Final Cut or Photoshop, but having said that I ended up getting a 2nd laptop, a 13" thin and light, during my junior year of college because the 15" was just too big.

17. farmermac macrumors 6502a

While I agree that one should get apple AppleCare later than earlier in the first year, I don't see how you get more value by waiting. You actually get less because it costs the same and you lose 9 months worth of potential phone support. You do, however, save money in case you have to cancel AppleCare before the end of the first year as it would have been prorated.

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You have a lot more workspace on the 15". The 13" is kind of low-res.

Seriously, if you're going to buy a 13", buy an MBA 13" instead, but from the sound of it, the 15" MBP really suits your needs better.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This one seems like a no-brainer. You have what is in terms of a laptop, a very old machine. For its time it was amazing, but if you want something to last as long again, go with the next generation processor, the Core i5 in the 15" inch MBP.

You will have two physical cores, running at a lower temperature than the Core 2 Duos, but your OS with see four cores. Multitasking will be where the i5 processor shines. If you need extra speed to avoid stalling, the i5 has turbo boost activated. The i3 found in the iMacs are an i5 with turbo boost deactivated. The turbo boost will give you an extra 10% percent in speed when you need it, but otherwise keep you on longer battery times an less heat overall than a Core 2 Duo. Intel does this with a smaller fabrication process on the i5 wafer.

With a 15" inch laptop for so long, I could not imagine a 13" inch laptop unless you absolutely need something smaller. I used 12" inch laptops for many years so I can hang with a 13" inch. But with my recent purchase of a 15" inch laptop, I don't think I can go back to less screen real estate. You get spoiled that way.

Like another poster mentioned here, if you want to go 13" inches, go with the MBA.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I dont understand this post. You say to go with the i5 because its next generation, but then you say, if you want a 13" inch, go with the MBA.

MBA uses a Core 2 Duo as well ... at a lower speed. The MBA and MBP are both just as capable (the MBP being more capable) despite their branding.

21. dime21 macrumors 6502

22. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Gah! If I had the funds, I'd get both so I didn't have to fight through this trouble.

I look at it more like the 13 being what I need.. And the 15 is what I want. But we all know we want stuff more than what we need... haha

But at first glance, I liked the 15 way more than the 13. This is the biggest reason why I can't decide, the 15 just looks like the sickest laptop out there. I mean, the size, matte option, speaker grills and better processor just sell it for me.

Yet I know the 13 is all I really need for 3 more years of college.

If this factors into my decision, I'm going for Engineering (still deciding what field specifically).

23. Squadleader macrumors regular

Too late !!!! :p

24. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

I wouldn't go with the MBA for your needs. While the 11.6 inch version is reasonable because of price, the 13.3 inch version is still heavily overshadowed by the 13 inch Macbook Pro for the same reason.

I considered going with the 13 inch MBA. However, when you have customized it to where it is able to loosely compete with the MBP 13 inch, you are spending significantly more money than you would on even a base 15 inch Macbook Pro.

As for the resolution: unless you have specialized needs (i.e., you'll be running Photoshop or some other app that really likes its resolution constantly), the 13 inch will work great. I moved down from a 15 inch dell with a resolution equivalent to that of the 15 inch MBP. No hit in my productivity. Of course, others could have different results.

All in all, I recommend the 13 inch. Its a fantastic little computer.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

15 for power and all the bells and whistles, but if he wants a smaller laptop, and heat was an issue he brought up, the 13 MBA should be a good option. He's an engineering student and not a graphic design student, so I think the 13 MBA would be fine.

If he wants more gaming, too, and he wants an optical drive, then I can see the 13 MBP, but if you are going to go MBP, go 15.