Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If they add krogers and publix I think that would almost all the major grocery store chains and that could be the tipping point for customers and hopefully the currentc members.

----------

I keep thinking target will probably jump ship since the new target app accepts apple pay. I think some members of mcx are playing the field. If Apple pay looks like their best bet they will jump ship.

Publix would have to jump ship from MCX because they are currently a part of that consortium. I do think MCX's days are numbered, though, if they stick to the QR code nonsense. Actually, I think MCX's days are numbered regardless of the technology they use; but their technology certainly isn't doing anything to help save them.

Just the other day, I was at a Starbucks paying with their QR system and I couldn't help but think about how antiquated the QR system is. Amazing how that happens within just a few short weeks of using Apple Pay.

I went to scan my phone at Starbucks but the screen wasn't bright enough to be picked up so I had to swipe up from the bottom to open Control Center, crank the brightness up, and then the scanner was able to read the QR code on the screen. First world problem, I know; but it just goes to show how frictionless Apple Pay is compared to QR.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If they add krogers and publix I think that would almost all the major grocery store chains and that could be the tipping point for customers and hopefully the currentc members.

The Publix twitter responses to people asking about AP are interesting: "our current systems are not NFC capable, however, we do have plans to adopt this technology in the future."

Kroger is a bit more definitive, but I'm sure can change: "At this time, we have no future plans for Apple Pay."

Although a decade or so ago we had a strong presence of Winn Dixie as well as Harris Teeter and Brunos trying to make an entrance, the latter two retreated and Winn Dixie has pulled back from the north Georgia region. Walmart Neighborhood Market has opened a few stores, and of course Whole Foods, but other than Super Walmart and Super Target (and a few Ingles stores) the market here is pretty much owned by Kroger and Publix.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Pretty good for those on the West Coast.
Albertsons owns Albertsons, Luckys, and (soon to be) Safeway.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
International visitors can still participate, they can tap their contact less cards at many of our stores now.

----------

Albertson's is big news for here in Arizona.

Sprouts, and Basha's here already take Apple Pay as well. So most grocery stores here accept for Safeway takes Apple Pay already. Safeway hopefully will be fixed soon with the Albertsons buy out.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Do we really need a post on MacRumors for every business that starts using Apple Pay especially as this news only really interests US visitors and there are a lot of international visitors to this site. Maybe these should be on the Blog or Page 2.

Would be nice if the news was about rumours and interesting Apple news.

Yes we do. Apple is not advertising it enough - and too many stores that support NFC/:apple:Pay do not educate their cashiers enough about the support. Way too many times the cashiers tried to explain to me that 'you can't pay with your phone you need a credit card' only to be amazed when I taped my phone and it was payed.

The word needs to get out about NFC and Apple Pay support - Apple and the Stores don't do a good enough job at advertising it. Consumers need to be educated since others fail. The more articles about it, the better.

We also need more stories about how some stores refuse now to accept NFC out of selfish reasons without customer interest in mind.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008

Interesting. I'll have to try it tonight when picking up dinner. The Jewels I go to (palatine or arlington heights) don't appear to have contactless payment as an option--their credit card readers don't have the antenna signal symbol, like other places do. Has anyone tried at Marianos? Once those 2 are covered, I'll be able to use :apple:pay exclusively (except where I use cash).

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
Definitely hoping for Kroger next. Where I live (near Nashville), Kroger and Publix are the two main grocery options. Since Publix is a part of MCX, it's Kroger's for the taking.

Here the main players are Baker's (Kroger), Hy-Vee and the semi-new Walmart Neighborhood Market. Since Walmart and Hy-Vee are both MCX I would love to see Kroger step up.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Yes we do. Apple is not advertising it enough - and too many stores that support NFC/:apple:Pay do not educate their cashiers enough about the support. Way too many times the cashiers tried to explain to me that 'you can't pay with your phone you need a credit card' only to be amazed when I taped my phone and it was payed.

The word needs to get out about NFC and Apple Pay support - Apple and the Stores don't do a good enough job at advertising it. Consumers need to be educated since others fail. The more articles about it, the better.

We also need more stories about how some stores refuse now to accept NFC out of selfish reasons without customer interest in mind.

I would agree and there is also the issue of liability. If a customer makes a purchase at Rite-Aid, CVS who deliberately turns off their secure payment solution. And then they get hacked. Wouldn't a lawyer love to take that in front of the jury. If I was a jury member, I would be salivating to stick it to them.

In the case of Rite-Aid and CVS, many people are walking down the street but with prescriptions and your local pharmacist that is not always a palatable option.

My personal opinion is that Apple is holding back on too much advertising on Apple Pay because it is dependent on iPhone 6 which they are building as fast as possible. When the Apple Watch comes along they will have more Apple Pay option.

In the rest of the world, they have Chip and PIN credit cards which is also a great system. So they are used to secure credit card/ debit card systems. I love Chip and PIN but with Apple Pay I don't have to carry the cards in my wallet and I don't have to expose my pin or enter my PIN behind a flimsy screen. The rest of the world does have lots of NFC adoption so Apple Pay should find a good market.

In the US Corporate cards, online payment besides Apps like with Amazon Payments, Western Union or PayPal should also be in the works.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Is MR going to post every time every non-nationwide store that the majority of readers have never even heard of or care to hear of starts using Apple Pay?

I mean does anyone here care if Cub Foods uses Apple Pay? Front page news?

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Is MR going to post every time every non-nationwide store that the majority of readers have never even heard of or care to hear of starts using Apple Pay?

Gives Tim Cook something to point to for the next keynote though. :apple:

fivetoedbear

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Interesting. I'll have to try it tonight when picking up dinner. The Jewels I go to (palatine or arlington heights) don't appear to have contactless payment as an option--their credit card readers don't have the antenna signal symbol, like other places do. Has anyone tried at Marianos? Once those 2 are covered, I'll be able to use :apple:pay exclusively (except where I use cash).

Jewel in River Forest and Melrose Park take contactless. I think they're using Verifone terminals like this one. The terminals have a slot facing the user for an EMV card.

Even though they don't have an antenna symbol, they do take Apple Pay; just hold your phone up to the display.

Edit: I think a lot of places have working terminals but aren't ready to announce. Many terminals now hide the NFC antenna to make the terminal smaller and more streamlined. And the indication that Apple Pay is accepted may become part of the graphic on the multimedia display, which they'll update after their official launch.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.

When are MR readers going to learn how to not click on stories that are of no interest to them? It seems like a simple enough thing to do.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
A small funny today. Went to the doctors and as I was walking out the front desk attendant said, "how would you like to pay for your visit, we take anything." I replied, "wow, you take Apple Pay." She smiled and said, "okay, almost anything."

I am happy to see more banks and stores jumping on this bandwagon, but it is a long road especially for smaller places like my doctor's office.

bloggerblog

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
SunTrust activation was automated and accepted my Debit card as well!!! Unlike my BOA and CHASE where both required calling and didn't accept activating their Debit cards.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
The exception being restaurants - those places need a solution because they still want me to hand them a credit card and go scan it and come back - thats way too antiquated at this point.

Unfortunately, we may be stuck with that for a while -- because US banks largely chose to switch to Chip & Signature, instead of Chip & PIN.

In Europe and Brazil, I found that Chip & PIN is widely deployed, and as a result they perform all transactions with a portable terminal. They bring it right to your table, you insert your card, enter the tip (if appropriate), enter your PIN, and they print the receipt for you. Your card is always in your possession.

Some US banks are adding PINs to their cards, but it is a lower priority for authentication, behind signature. Only unattended terminals that cannot process a signature should ask for the PIN.

It will be interesting to see how US restaurants handle European visitors that have a chipped card that asked for PIN authentication as first priority. I guess they will have to go to the register and check out there.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Unfortunately, we may be stuck with that for a while -- because US banks largely chose to switch to Chip & Signature, instead of Chip & PIN.

In Europe and Brazil, I found that Chip & PIN is widely deployed, and as a result they perform all transactions with a portable terminal. They bring it right to your table, you insert your card, enter the tip (if appropriate), enter your PIN, and they print the receipt for you. Your card is always in your possession.

Some US banks are adding PINs to their cards, but it is a lower priority for authentication, behind signature. Only unattended terminals that cannot process a signature should ask for the PIN.

It will be interesting to see how US restaurants handle European visitors that have a chipped card that asked for PIN authentication as first priority. I guess they will have to go to the register and check out there.

I think sit-down restaurants actually won't actually adopt EMV all that quickly. Most of them will probably just take the risk since it's a fairly low risk industry from a card perspective anyway. There will also likely be signature only terminals built for the restaurant industry, like how Square's rumored chip reader won't support PIN.

Ironworker808

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
SunTrust activation was automated and accepted my Debit card as well!!! Unlike my BOA and CHASE where both required calling and didn't accept activating their Debit cards.

Interesting. Just activated mine a few minutes ago and it required a call to SunTrust to verify.

Took just a couple minutes. Painless.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Yes, until Walmart capitulates..... And as it was pointed out you don't have to read the story....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.