Sup with this battery life? [Pic]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom2847, Jun 28, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

So today, I woke up at 9:00AM and unplugged my iPhone. Hardly used it until around 8:00pm until about 11:00pm. On and off texting and video recording here and there. I'd say a total of 12 minutes of video recording and about 20 minutes of texting within that period.

I feel, however, that my battery life is terrible and I am wondering if this is normal. My settings as follows:

WIFI : OFF
    LOCATION SERVICES : OFF
    BRIGHTNESS - Almost all the way down.

Am I forgetting anything?

Here is a screenshot of my Usage:
    [​IMG]

I currently just drained my battery to 0% and it shut off and now I am just going to re-charge the whole thing to 100% and start over tomorrow. Hopefully that will work.

Someone though, please tell me if this is "normal."

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

3. ColReb22 macrumors member

I haven't charged mine since yesterday afternoon at about 3:00 and have made a couple of ~5 minute calls, a decent amount of texting, and done some wifi and 3G browsing with 38% left

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

No, this is not normal. Especially if it's frequent.

However, I'd say there have been a handful (five or six times) in the last three years... with the first three models of iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS) where the battery inexplicably ran down in a matter of hours in standby time. No bluetooth, no phone calling, no open apps to my knowledge... I would just wake my phone up from sleep and it would tell me to plug into a power supply. I never could (nor did I try to) recreate the incident. I would recharge the phone and it was fine again until it would seemingly randomly happen again months later.

I'd say if this is the first time it's happened, blow it off. If it's happened a few times, then maybe you need to return your phone. If you feel there's something wrong, don't chance it. Odds are that your phone is still covered by whatever store you got it from and you can get it replaced without sending in for another from Apple (unless you bought it online from Apple).

5. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe it was the 12-15 min of HD video recording?

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

This cannot be an iPhone 4, right? My standby as been around 27 hours, with 6-7 hours of usage and I was around 10%.

7. stphnman20 macrumors regular

If you have wifi at home, leave it on.. It take less battery then the 3G..

other then that, that's not good....:apple:

8. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

That's extremely doubtful. Just wait and see until the phone is fully charged and see how it goes tomorrow.

Should it happen again (and possibly the time after that) you should get it replaced because of a defective battery.

9. AlxRymnd914 macrumors member

Um, I think it has something to do with you using a lot of data? Over 600 mb SENT? That must mean that you received a whole lot more. Taxing 3g (since wifi is off) like that will burn down the battery quick.

10. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

11. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

Wow that is horrible I to had a battery problem of course not that bad and I found out closing the apps (by double clicking and pressing on the apps till they start moving then delete them out of the multitasking bar sorry very vague instructions) helped me a ton I went from 27% at the end of the day to 55%. That's about 5 hours usage and 14 hours standby. I hope this will help.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

Do you have push notifications on? It wouldn't totally explain the rapid battery loss but it does have an effect.

13. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand if my phone was unplugged at 100% today at 9AM EST and I took that screenshot around 11:00PM EST why it would only have Standby 6 Hours and used for 2 hours. Does this just not make sense?

Wouldn't that mean the phone was on for a total of 8-9 hours roughly while if I had it unplugged since 9:00AM wouldn't that mean around 5-6PM is when it should have been reading that?

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think I had this problem right after I got my 3g? Basically it ran itself down really fast, and I had light use of it that day as I was over at my girlfriend's (now wife's) apartment visiting her most of the day (we lived far apart as I was away at school, so on visits the iPhone was not used much, despite being a new toy). I thought I would have to take it back, but I ran down the battery, charged it overnight, and after that it was fine. I think sometimes batteries have kinks in them when they are brand new. For instance, my new Canon 7D's batteries were crap the first day or two that I used them. They had to be put through some charging cycles. Now I can get 2000+ shots off of them combined in my grip. Worked like a champ in Yellowstone the other week. Seems like my iPhone 4 was draining quicker the first day or two also, but now its fine. Though I may have been using it a whole lot more, lol.

If you still have problems, bring it into the genius bar. They have this app they can install (I think its an app? I remember reading about something like that. Either that or something that pulls log data) and they can run some tests on it. Either that or they will give you a replacement. This does happen from time to time. Its the nature of battery technology. Cells are weird.

Also, I love how freaking huge iPhone 4 screenshots look on our legacy, non-retina screens, lol. And my screen is 1920x1200. Hah.

15. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

Have you tired putting a bumper on the iPhone? i heard it fixes lots of problems.

16. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha yeah, I have 5.8GB Recieved.

So you think when I am home, I should turn WIFI on and browse with that but when I leave, turn 3G on? That should save battery?

17. trespinosranch macrumors newbie

Got my ip4 a day early (Wed) and I've only been able to discharge it twice (which I wanted to do to condition the battery). This afternoon I had about 20% left and I had to play utube videos for over 2 hours to get it down to 5%.

I keep push, notifications, location services, etc. ON.

This definitely has the Energizer Bunny.

18. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I did a full restore of my 3GS in iTunes to get all my stuff back but I heard if you do that, it messes up the battery? Is this true or just some BS?

19. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

I have 3G on all the time same with wifi, notifications, etc and I have never Had battery life like that I don't think it's far to change or go out of the way for your phone and always mess with settings (like holding my phone different thanks for the bumper tho apple).

20. wilymon macrumors member

You know, I was kinda having the same problem and I think it's because in my house I get horrible reception (i also have the left-handed reception issues). Today was my first full day at work (where I get a good signal) since I got the phone and despite using it a lot, the battery life was great.

I'm thinking the bad battery life at my house has to do with the phone always searching for a 3G signal. In my experience that drains the phone. When I got home from work my battery was at 80-something percent. I turned off 3G (since I'm on wi-fi anyway) and right now, 16 hours since my last charge, it's at 52%, despite some heavy usage.

Try turning off 3G, I bet that fixes the battery drain. Then wait until Apple releases 4.1, hopefully that'll fix the 3G issues.

21. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Just reset it by holding down power and home buttons. I'll bet five points it doesn't happen again.

22. 41qser macrumors regular

Uhh, WiFi is almost always preferable to 3G, both for battery life and speed (unless you have a crappy ISP).

Why WOULDN'T you use Wifi when it's available? Common sense...

23. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

Dude..I actually used wifi to browse very little and do some light gaming and my battery is almost dead as well.. I am shocked because it seems that my 3GS battery was better than this...Which is supposed to be the other way around.

24. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

Five points of what :confused:

25. hippo206 macrumors 6502