Super battery! Wow,color me impressed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialtoon, Jul 7, 2010.

1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I think the image speaks for itself. What a great battery we have on this phone!

Attached Files:

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Jobs really nailed it on the head when he said the iPhone 4's battery life would be drastically increased. After all, the battery IS the largest single component in the phone now. :cool:

3. McBeats macrumors 6502a

ya man seriously! i am hella impressed!, took me forever to draw all the power out

4. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

Last when I went 1 day and 12 hours of standby and 7 hours of usage. I was amazed. Love the battery.

5. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

this battery is an animal... its like a real cellphone. finally i can go an entire day and only charge it at night before bed. they really did a great job.

6. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I assume there was some iPod usage in there?

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

The phone as a whole is great. But that battery us amazing!

8. og1 macrumors regular

those numbers are not entirely accurate though. example mine is currently 3 hours 4 minutes usage, 9 hours 49 minutes standby. My phone has only been off the charger for 9 hours 49 minutes. the usage numbers would lead one to believe it has been off charger for 12 hours and 53 minutes.

i will say its better than my 3gs, but not by a milestone

9. jwwpua macrumors member

Standby = total time the phone has been powered on since the last full charge

Usage = time the phone is in use (iPod, screen on, or on a call)

10. katai macrumors regular

What settings you guys use? Like low brightness and turn things off?

11. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I have Wifi on all day, not matter if i have an active connection or not (which also made me realize how many Wifi Hotspots ATT has). Bluetooth is on 1/4 of the day for me. Brightness is set to auto dim.

12. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I agree, I'm getting better battery life than ny 3GS, but what I really, really want to know is, are people actually getting 9-12 hours of usage WITHOUT iPod use, which significantly skewes the numbers as iPod/music counts as normal use, but barely drains the battery.

With no iPod use, I can get around 7 hours of fairly heavy use, 2 hours better than the 3GS, with an hour or 2 of music, I can show closer to 9 hours.

13. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I haven't used iPod and it's great. My phone line was broken for 2 days. I surfed the web and played games for 7 hours before I hit 10%. which for me is pretty damn good.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

For me, the battery is number 2 right behind the display. Great stuff!

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s what sucks when anyone posts these stats. They’re meaningless without telling us what they were actually doing for that usage, and for how long for each thing they did (unless you just like seeing big usage numbers). So far, I’m getting the rated use that Apple states on their website (10 hours of wifi, and 6 hours of 3G).

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Apple are very modest with their battery facts.

17. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

The usage image i posted is with NO iPod use. I only use my ipod when i drive to work and thankfully, i was off yesterday :p

18. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

yea i only have to charge my battery every other night now.

it's great! :)

19. Macnator macrumors 6502

Oh for the love of-

Us Canadians need the iPhone 4 now! All this is making me jealous! Retina display, much improved battery life, A4 chip, 512MB of RAM, HD video recording, thinner, far superior GPS, support for faster upload speeds.

Not fair! Us Canadians want it! :D

That's great battery life though. Wow, I got about 5 hours max on my 3GS then it would need charging. 11 hours of usage! Damn!

20. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

My iPhone usage is relatively light, but I had to charge my 3G and 3GS on a daily basis. With the iPhone 4, I can go 2-3 days before needing to charge it. It's freakin' awesome!

Mark

21. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

so somehow you have 5 more hours of usage on 3g... highly doubtful.
    Maybe you watched some movies?
    iphone 4 battery numbers
    3G call- 7 hours
    3G web- 6 hours
    Music- 40 hours
    video - 10 hours.

22. Taevt macrumors newbie

I don't have a screenshot of it, but I was at around:

2 hours and 15 minutes of usage (7.5-8 hours of standby) with 73% battery remaining. All of that usage was 3G web browsing and texting.

That's about average, right? I seem to be getting ~5-6 minutes of usage per percentage point when texting.

I have not done the calibration thing yet, just started using it. So I imagine my meter may not be 100% accurate.

Edit: brightness around 50%, auto on. One email account is push, one is hourly fetch. No location services, no wi-fi and no BT.

23. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

24. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I just plugged mine in....3 days standby and 11 hours usage! I'll buy that for a $

25. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Granted It does charge while I drive because the iPod plays through the car ;) But I haven't had to do a full overnight recharge like I used to do everyday with my 3G.