Super Bowl Sunday: Eats & Libations?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We are driving up to Broken Arrow, OK today to visit friends for the extended weekend, come back on Sunday, will have been driving for 8 hours when we arrive at home for the SB. Dinner will probably have been Taco Cabana or Whataburger. 😛

Reactions: Gutwrench

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
My wife makes the best homemade wings. We're taking them and a veggie tray to our daughter's house to watch the game together.

Actually the Super Bowl get together was our grandson's idea. He hates football. I'm not sure what's up with that. I think he's envisioning three hours of commercials, all of them hilarious.

Not only won't they be, but he'll be super bored at those long stretches in-between where there's this thing called a game.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I’m back in the Twin Cities and it’s a beautiful sunny 42 F.

The sliders are open on the lower level (okay, the fireplace is going too) and the Egg is cooking a butt for pulled pork. A mixture of fresh air and smoke is delightful!

Id like to see the Niners win but actually wouldn’t be disappointed to see KC win. I only hope it’s a close game.

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I'm having an international Super Bowl party with 3 former UN staff members and my English neighbors. There is a case of Irish beers cooling down in the cooler, 3 types of chicken wings, Swedish meatballs prepared by one of UN staffer members who is Swedish, 3-alarm chili and chips and dips of various concoctions.

On an added note, a local boy from back home in Oregon has been elected to the Football Hall of Fame. He grew up with my 3 nephews and is just a great person besides being an excellent football player. His name is Troy Polamalu.

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
My family isn't all that jazzed up about the SB, we'll probably order a pizza and my kids will watch mostly for the commercials and the half time show.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Will be Chinese food for me. I am thinking of steamed chicken and mixed vegetables and lots of water.
I had a couple mixed bell peppers needed to get used or risk their going over, so it's "My House Fried Rice" today with those cheerful peppers and some onions and garlic and assorted whatnot tossed in for the ride.

But no football for me. Netflix or DVDs will be my entertainment.

I feel badly for the highway plow crews around here though, they must be getting ready to toss money in their swear jars... just as the "commute to the bowl" trips ramp up locally, we're starting to get a snow dump. The timing of a few plow runs on the county roads looks to be the pits... hope it will die down quickly and move on to some innocuous place like over the reservoirs for NYC drinking water, nobody hunting or fishing around there today anyway.

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I didn't even realize the Super Bowl was this Sunday until I read this thread. I'll make some chicken wings, hummus and chips, veggies and chocolate chip cookies. Snack type items seem more appropriate than a regular meal.

Reactions: LizKat

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We're having a blast, great beers (see previous posts), some awesome mixed libations :D Lots of different cheeses, meats, guacamole, this awesome chicken-cheese dip, it's like a hot wing dip (shredded chicken and "lite" variants of: ranch, cream cheese, shredded cheese blend and hot sauce ... baked! Hot, ooey and gooey :D).

We had a serious Mario Party throwdown on the Switch this afternoon too :p

No work tomorrow, the boss said it was being observed as a holiday :cool:

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I’m back in the Twin Cities and it’s a beautiful sunny 42 F.

The sliders are open on the lower level (okay, the fireplace is going too) and the Egg is cooking a butt for pulled pork. A mixture of fresh air and smoke is delightful!

Id like to see the Niners win but actually wouldn’t be disappointed to see KC win. I only hope it’s a close game.
OK I confess if I hear it's close then I might have a look... But I'm neutral on a pick in this game, so either way I'm not going to be heartbroken or thrilled. Your food sounds delicious as a midweek option for me, just FedEx the leftovers in dry ice por favor. 😻

Gutwrench

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
OK I confess if I hear it's close then I might have a look... But I'm neutral on a pick in this game, so either way I'm not going to be heartbroken or thrilled. Your food sounds delicious as a midweek option for me, just FedEx the leftovers in dry ice por favor. 😻
Will do...plus a self addressed postage paid return box for my 🤬 quilt!

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
...On an added note, a local boy from back home in Oregon has been elected to the Football Hall of Fame. He grew up with my 3 nephews and is just a great person besides being an excellent football player. His name is Troy Polamalu.
Well, if he's gonna be in a HOF ceremony, tell that hippie to get a haircut already. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Will do...plus a self addressed postage paid return box for my 🤬 quilt!

ROFL... You never disappoint!
You should have a care... one of these days I'll make you a quilt out of stuff from my special box of fabrics, like the box all sale-fabric purchasers eventually acquire, the one labeled "What Was I Thinking?"​
Usually we save such momentary enthusiasms for the backings of quilts made for the homeless, since the outrageous fabrics end up discreetly facing the grass or heat vents in sidewalks etc... but I could make an exception and actually piece blocks out of some of it.​
"Uglies" in small quantities are used by quilters to add pizzazz to their work.. the problem is to get the stuff on sale, one usually has to buy a yard of it off the bolt, when a 5" square would be plenty. This is a fun art quilt pieced by someone who made it using what some might call ugly fabrics if used in larger cuts.​
uglies in small quantities are gorgeous.jpg
A couple yards of stuff like this in your mailbox would burn it to the ground...​
Enjoy the game and your Green Egg'd delicacy as well!

Gutwrench

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
ROFL... You never disappoint!
You should have a care... one of these days I'll make you a quilt out of stuff from my special box of fabrics, like the box all sale-fabric purchasers eventually acquire, the one labeled "What Was I Thinking?"​
Usually we save such momentary enthusiasms for the backings of quilts made for the homeless, since the outrageous fabrics end up discreetly facing the grass or heat vents in sidewalks etc... but I could make an exception and actually piece blocks out of some of it.​
"Uglies" in small quantities are used by quilters to add pizzazz to their work.. the problem is to get the stuff on sale, one usually has to buy a yard of it off the bolt, when a 5" square would be plenty. This is a fun art quilt pieced by someone who made it using what some might call ugly fabrics if used in larger cuts.​
A couple yards of stuff like this in your mailbox would burn it to the ground...​
Enjoy the game and your Green Egg'd delicacy as well!

Thank you! The girls and I gobbled it down. Now we’re draped over our personal section of the couch. Like three little quilts.

The best things come from that ‘extras’ box. I’ll go stand at the mailbox. 😉

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well they say good things come to all who wait long enough... Chiefs apparently had to wait 50 years to find a team willing to prove it for them.

Wow. Weird in the last minutes like a rogue tide turning. Maybe I should have watched the whole thing if the commercials were that good too.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
While I admit that the term Super Bowl Sunday means absolutely nothing to me, nevertheless, I am enjoying reading the recipes and food serving suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.