Super Bowl XLII: Highest rating ever.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, I know - not another Super Bowl thread.

But, I thought this one was worthy, since it looks like from preliminary figures, last night's game might be the highest rated Super Bowl ever.

ESPN Link

Of course, the M*A*S*H finale is still the record holder by far with 106 million (!!!) viewers.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Because the writer's strike made sure there was absolutely NOTHING else on.

:rolleyes:

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

True... but then again, what's normally up against the Super Bowl? Doesn't Animal Planet just have five hours of puppies running around in a room?

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Don't forget the Kitty Halftime show.

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I try to. I really do...

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Remember too that part of the rating nowadays are the commercials. People don't go to the bathroom during commercials b/c they don't want to miss them. My wife, her mom, her grandma, and my mom, all watch more for the commercials than the game. Though my wife does pay attention to the game too.

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, apparently the E-Trade talking baby commercial (the first one, not the creepy clown one) was the highest rated ad.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It didn't hurt that the Patriots were going for a perfect season and that the game was actually good (and close).

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i didn't watch. :p and couldn't care either way.

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You thought that game was GOOD? First person I've seen that doesn't think it was a total ****fest.

11. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Highest rating ever?

That shows how stupid people are.

12. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Second person here. It was among the better Stupor Bowls (which are more typically blowouts).

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yeah, I hate when there are, what, three lead changes in the fourth quarter of games? That really sucks. :)

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

now the third person. I thought it was a great game. Everyone I know thought it was a great game.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Commas much?

So you'd rather have 3 boring at crap quarters and one 'eh it was ok' quarter?

:rolleyes:

16. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I see-- you like games with lots and lots and lots of scoring. Whee!

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yeah, considering we were feeding/burping our 6 week old during that ad, we found it pretty funny.

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Complaining about my commas? I don't even know what "boring at crap quarters" are. (;

Perhaps I appreciated the way the Giants defense was after Tom Brady all game. I'll agree that the first three quarters weren't the best I've ever seen, but they were hardly as bad as you're making them out to be, saying, basically, that no one could have possibly enjoyed it.

The fourth quarter, on the other hand, was wonderful. As I said, three lead changes, including the last one in the final minute. An underdog team with a quarterback few believed in three weeks ago maturing right before 100 million eyes. Manning escaping three Pats' linemen and, in almost desperately heaving the ball down field, where it's caught on top of Tyree's helmet, who was able to hold on through the fall despite being double covered.

Maybe your standards are too high? Or, perhaps you weren't watching the same game I was?

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I didn't say there had to be scoring, just something other than a bunch of guys falling over eachother. Some hard tackles and good runs would have helped.

20. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Just want to add that nearly everything I've read about the game, seen about it on TV or heard about it from other people consider it to have been one of the better Super Bowl games in recent memory.

When's the last time there was a Super Bowl game when you couldn't tell who was going to win until there were 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter?

Usually, Super Bowl ratings taper off each quarter until finally no one watches the 3rd and 4th quarters and a few people tune back after the finish to see who wins MVP.

This one kept people glued to their seats for all 60 minutes.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You must have been a lot more comfortable than me. I wasn't relaxed until 4th & 20 with one TO and 0:10 left on the clock. At that point, I figured the Football Giants would have the deep routes covered and the Pats wouldn't be able to get close enough for the FG. But the first 19 sec of the series I was nervous - even with the big sack.

Anyway, I'm surprised that there are people that didn't like the game. This one actually had both great defense (2nd and 3rd quarters) and great offense (1st and 4th quarters). On a side note, I'm surprised that the Pats were caught so off guard in this game. The Football Giants played, essentially, the same game as they did against the high scoring Bills - grinding, ball control.

22. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

There was probably fewer people switching channels because they fell asleep after the first quarter and then Tom Petty really made sure they were in a slumber.

23. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You know, that's a good point you make about the offense being great in the first quarter as well. Because it wasn't a high scoring quarter, that will be overlooked. There were TWO drives in the first quarter. Two. Each team's offense did what they were looking to do.

24. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You know, it's funny: I debated how many seconds to put down as the point when the game was decided.

To be honest, I probably wasn't sure until 10 seconds either, but only because it was the Patriots, who've pulled off miracle come from behinds several times in the past. My logical side probably realized around 27 seconds that there was no chance. Maybe even a few seconds sooner :)

:D

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i was one of the ones who watched that game. i watched the whole game. i'll admit it was a good game. just wish there was more offense in it, and more scoring