Super charge your Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Alx9876, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Alx9876, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

I'm just sharing this with everyone that doesn't know about it. Apple should make a first party model. But the gamers on these boards would be interested in this device.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You should have provided at least some details in your opening post instead of just copy/pasting a link.

4. Alx9876, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

I agree however, I posted this from my 6s plus and was in a hurry. I apologize to everyone for the crude post.

5. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

This is true. I know I'd be very interested in something like this which sounds much like Razer Core. I'd be curious if this includes Boot Camp support since a lot of gamers with Macs boot into Windows for games unavailable on Macs but still want actual power. Might be on the link but only skimmed it briefly so can check later.

6. old-mac-man macrumors regular

Having backed two technology KickStarters, both of which failed to deliver, I'm not prepared to risk more than a token amount any more. If the company running a KickStarter become insolvent, in the UK at least, you're not even considered a creditor.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

What effect will this have on most/any Mac games? Does the game need to be patched to utilize this device? And what about bootcamp? On my Mac virtually all gaming is conducted in Windows.

The Wolfe is a desktop GPU that can plug into your laptop. A GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a computer chip that contains hundreds (or even thousands) of microprocessors, together capable of trillions of operations per second. This makes it makes far better than a standard computer chip (CPU) at things like gaming and 3D rendering.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Regardless of OS thunderbolt standards are the same. OS passes gfx processing to the egpu which passes back. You take a slight performance hit in the passing back and forward but it's not huge.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

A performance hit, is that how you up gaming performance? How does the MacOS know to do this, a patch of somekind I presume.

10. danckwerts macrumors regular

danckwerts

Not that I have any money, but if I did, I would be very wary of investing in something like this. There doesn't seem to be anything patentable.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Performance hit comes from the information going back and forward over thunderbolt your looking at a 5-10% loss in the gpus performance in comparison with it sitting internally on a pcie bus.

OS X can already do this as it's been tested.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Interesting. How much does something like this normally cost? What kind of impact on frame rates and image quality? And would it benefit a 5 year old MPB, see my Signature? Thanks for the link! :)

13. dsddfloppy macrumors newbie

dsddfloppy

Intel already promised eGPU over Thunderbolt3.
    There were many eGPU projects done with TB2 on techinferno.com. ( $200-$800 external TB enclosure + GPU)
    More recently Razer Core External GPU was released.

My understanding is that these would be best used with an external monitor attached directly to the eGPU, sending that data back to build in display will half TB2/3's bandwidth and limit performance gain. And that's probably not even an option on the macs unless our drivers support that. Hot plugnplay of eGPU may need to be addressed too.

As for benefit to a 5 years old MBP ( TB1) , it may be limited of the TB bandwidth, and raw cpu power for today's needs.

14. ricmcgmr macrumors member

ricmcgmr

Exciting project.

But as mentioned before, this has been done before and from what I heard, the results are not great. People complained about really high price and lots of compatibility issues...

The Wolfie does look much better supported and if their software is indeed that good (to make it work out of the box and even let you select what apps use it), then this could be a game changer.

No need to pay a fortune for a 15-inch MBP with a dedicated card anymore. The entry 13-inch MBP + this would be cheaper and more powerful.

15. kaioshade macrumors regular

kaioshade

As an owner of both a Razer Blade Stealth / Core, and a Macbook Pro, i would love to see something as seamless as the Core available for macOS. Definitely will keep an eye on this project.

16. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Good to see competition in this space. What bugs me is their insistence on small enclosures. I would think if going external, most people would want a powerful, full-sized card.

17. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

You don't need a huge case to house a powerful card long as you have a fan.

18. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

What I mean is, Akitio, Bizon, & Wolfe - none of these enclosures can accommodate a full-length, full-height, double-wide card like a Titan X without ugly mods. Not to mention they are also underpowered.

19. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

You shouldn't be a creditor, you should be treated like an equity investor in a bankrupt entity. Kickstarter should be thought of as part speculative investment and part gift to the principals.

20. asoksevil macrumors 6502

The advantage of the Wolfe over Bizon and other DIY is that there's full support for Mac on both internal and external display. This along makes it worthy I think. It's quite funny that you just can't hook up the eGPU and play your favorite games, you need an external screen if you are on Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2016 ---
    I remember a UK based polish team trying to bring the same thing a year or so ago. The campaign didn't really take off and decided to shut it down as there was an organization willing to sponsor their project.