Super Duper and Winclone Rock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gomff, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded the hard drive on my MBP and have to say that these two apps took the headache out of the whole process.

I Backed up my Snow Leopard partition with Super Duper and my Windows 7 partition with Winclone. Installed the hard drive, then restored from the backups and was right back to my setup I had before plus loads more HD space.

If I'd had to install both those OS's and Apps, it would have taken much much longer so hats off. Both these apps are free (although Super Duper does have a paid for version with more features which I use). Even so, what a great couple of Apps. :D:D:D

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Glad it went well for you

I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner, but the result is the same

Simple and elegant solution to swapping out a HDD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Apple's Disk Utility Restore & WinClone also work - just FYI as another option.

4. Gomff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've used Carbon copy cloner as well. I tend to use that with the MSI Wind hack book we have as a music player in the front room as Super Duper seems to bugger the boot partition on Hackinstoshes. I'm sure it would have done just as good a job as Super Duper in this instance, I guess I'm just used to using one more than the other.

Thanks for the tip gr8fly with Apple Disk Utility, I've never used it for that purpose.

Up until a few years ago I used PC's exclusively and I would routinely reinstall Windows once a year or so, just to clear out the system. There was never a quick way of doing this (that I found anyway) but Winclone does such a good job. It's even more useful since my Windows 7 license is an upgrade so to install on a fresh hard drive from the disk is much more of a hassle.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

whenever i have a windows computer to repair (and the hdd isnt dead) i will use WinClone - its such a great app! and it lets you navigate through the filesystem when you mount the .dmg image (can you do this with other cloning apps?)! ive found it extremely useful.