Super Mario Run to Get 'Biggest Update Ever' and 50% Price Drop on Friday

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Super Mario Run will receive its "biggest update ever" later this week, according to a sneak peek shared on the App Store this weekend.

[​IMG]

A new gameplay mode called Remix 10 will include a set of 10 super-short sections from Super Mario Run's existing levels in quick succession. The stages are remixed with each attempt, with rainbow-colored bonus medals throughout.
    Finishing stages and collecting medals in Remix 10 mode gives players the chance to collect new items to decorate their Mushroom Kingdom, and eventually rescue the newly added character Princess Daisy.

Once rescued, Princess Daisy can be used as a playable character in all of Super Mario Run's other gameplay modes.
    Super Mario Run will gain a brand new world called World Star, which has nine new levels that are unlocked once players have finished all of the existing stages in the six worlds of the World Tour.
    The update will also allow Super Mario Run to be played while listening to any music in the background, rather than the game soundtrack only.

The update will be available on the App Store [Direct Link] on Friday, September 29, and on the same day, the $9.99 in-app purchase that unlocks the full game will be discounted by 50 percent for two weeks.

About the Game

Super Mario Run is a runner designed for one-handed gameplay. Mario runs forward automatically as players tap to jump, collect coins, pounce on Goombas, avoid obstacles, and reach the flagpole at the end of each course before the timer runs out. In the end, Mario must rescue Princess Peach from the infamous Bowser.

(Thanks, Jesse L.!)

Article Link: Super Mario Run to Get 'Biggest Update Ever' and 50% Price Drop on Friday

2. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

That's my b-day!
    But what daddy really wants is in on the 1st wave of X deliveries. :p

3. KrispE00 macrumors regular

“Around 50 percent off”...Because $4.99 is technically 50.05% off.

4. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Does it still require a live network connection to work? I'm happy to pay full price, but won't play a game that calls home to check if I'm a thief or not...

5. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I guess I will miss the update; just deleted it from my devices ...

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

After all these years, still a fun game.... Aaaah, innocence.

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Because you can’t redownload it?

8. Compote macrumors regular

Compote

Looking back, this did't warrant spending 10€, but half the original price with more content sounds OK.

Where is that vaporware Animal Crossing now ?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    You're making it sound like you ordered yourself a stripper in a cake Guess Apple should have seen this coming.

9. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

Nintendo, let me play it on a plane and I will gladly pay full price (remove the internet piracy check).

Bonus, release an Apple TV version and I will pay again.

10. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

This game just sits on my device never getting played, because the time I most want to play it (on the morning rail commute) is the time when my internet connection is worst. It really chaps my backside that this game requires an internet connection to play. Actually, this article has reminded me - I meant to delete Super Mario Run.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Still requires network connecion? Don’t care about any new level then...

12. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

I'm waiting for the iPhone X, and I have an S7 right now. Can I buy this on my Mac and just download The full veraion when I get my iphone?

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I'll pay $20 if it works without internet connection . Useless for my daily commute

14. Hanterdro macrumors regular

Hanterdro

15. nofunsir Suspended

nofunsir

Deleted. No offline mode, not worth $5, and it's so incredibly boring with one finger play.

When you reduce any game to a series of timed single taps on the screen, it destroys any sense of connection to such a fantasy world. Not to mention how silly one looks, from a higher perspective, when one just mindlessly taps on an array of leds with one's finger... and pays for such privilege.

Also, beyond greed and stubbornness, there is no valid technical reason to keep all the other great, old Nintendos games off the perfect platform.

16. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Apparently Mario used to be a plumber, just like I used to be excited about this game, until I found out it required an internet connection for no good reason. Oh well.

17. It's a Sweet Cake Suspended

It's a Sweet Cake

Finally. The price should’ve gone down a while ago. Might try it out then.

18. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

I’m not a fan of the permanent connection required but I don’t mind it as much as other people. With the additional levels is worth the original 10$, let alone 5$. But to be fair I’d prefer to pay 20$ and have a more complete experience.

19. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I don't know if anyone of you knows this, but it requires an internet connection. Just thought someone should finally mention it.

20. tom.humphrey macrumors member

Put Donkey Kong on iOS and then you'll get me excited

21. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Didn’t care about the internet required until I sat on a 16 hour flight to Hong Kong. It was my only game on the phone. o_O

22. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

So many good classic SNES games they could port to mobile and make a huge profit out of. Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Super Mario World... Also tons of GBA games like the actual Fire Emblems, Zelda Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, FFTA.. But no, old stubborn man Nintendo gonna Nintendo... Better have them on their failure of a console (which is now dead thanks to them) than on mobile where people would love to play them and pay for them...

23. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Too bad it wasn't 32 bit, then we wouldn't even be talking about it.

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

25. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

Two things: first you just complained about using a touchscreen to play mario, and then question why they won’t bring all their games to the iPhone. Second you called them greedy, and they are a for-profit company which the main goal is to make money