Super slow Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davemg, Nov 23, 2011.

1. davemg macrumors newbie

My macbook is incredibly slow,.....at everything. Getting to the point of throwing it away, it's so slow. Did a clean install of OS X two days ago, no help. Does this look like a hardware issue? Let me know. This guy might be a convert back to windows PC.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

A few things:

- What specifications/year is your MacBook from?

- What version of OS X are you running?

- When you did a 'clean install', did you boot from the CD, erase the hard-drive using Disk Utility, completely reformat it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then reinstall the OS?

- If 'yes' to the above, have you tried the extended hardware test?

- If 'yes' to all of the above, have you tried taking it to an Apple store?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Nobody cares if you convert back to Windows. It's your loss, not ours, so what do we care.

2. With the information you give, nobody can know whether you have a brand new MacBook that works absolutely fine and are just moaning because you are so impatient, or if there is a software problem that can easily be fixed, or some hardware problem that can often also be fixed easily.

3. What MacBook, how old, how much RAM, what hard drive, how full? What does Activitiy Monitor say? Was it always like this or has something changed?

4. davemg, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011

davemg thread starter macrumors newbie

After I posted, I realized I should have included some key points, like the following.

I think this is around a 2009. I bought it off ebay from a seller who refurbished it. Did they do a good job? I have no idea. I pack my macbook up everyday and take it to work. A couple times a week I would put it in my backpack and bike home. I'm wondering if all the moving has something to do with it. I'm thinking so.

My install was: put in disk and restart the computer
    hold down "c"
    choose erase from disk utility
    choose extended journaled "something"
    install

I didn't choose zero disk because I thought the erase might be good enough. Any ideas? Yes, I am quite frustrated with this computer the last couple months. I have tried a slew of things to get it to work better. Let me know.

Hard drive is partitioned with 130 gigs free and of that, 20 are used. Activity monitor looks fine, nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks for all the help.

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Serial Number (system): System Serial#
    Hardware UUID: 8CF496FA-D5F6-5F49-8BD7-31048AE298DB

This macbook is an absolute piece of crap. Far worse than any windows piece of crap.

5. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Sounds odd....I have a 2007 white MB and it runs pretty well...although I replaced HD with a much larger one a year ago or so...

Is everything you do on it slow or just some activities ( ie, websurfing, mail, videos, etc...)?

If slowness relates to using programs involving graphics or video, etc, then possibly your frustration has to do with MB graphics chip...don't think there's much you can do about that...one compromise that MB's have vs MBP's is the graphics chip is not as good...

Did you install lots of programs on it? Or use some programs that require better machines to work well (ie, video editing, CAD, 3D modeling, etc...) ?

If none of the above fits, then maybe it would be wise to bring your MB in to your local Apple store (if one available) or local Mac or PC repair shop to have them take a look....might help....