Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Just give me tv, cell and dsl, or whatever, all in one, fast and cheap. Satellite, orbiting robot aircraft, low frequency sounds thru the earth...I don't care.

The killer app is to provide the communications, not just the content or the devices to decode them.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I was just thinking (directed at anyone with signals knowledge), for this single satellite to provide always on internet coverage it will have to geosynchronous (stay above the same point on Earth 24/7). This is roughly 36000km from the surface (of Japan) of the Earth.

My question being here is that, they can do this now? 1.2 Gbps (to possibly thousands of people EACH)? Can the signal be consistent and strong enough to send data over such large distances?

But otherwise...BRING ON THE FAST INTERNET! Australia still counts as being in the Asia-Pacific :rolleyes:

Yes, it would have to be in GEO... GEO orbits are used for a lot these days, we've got the technology down pretty good to where this shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what kind of internet we have.

I've always thought this was satellite internet, but I'm not sure...

http://boernewireless.com

I'll take a picture of our "satellite" tomorrow. It looks more like an antenna then a satellite.

A satellite is an antenna dear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.