Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I just ordered this Lacie drive that came out earlier this year. Good value for a USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive I think.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lacie-...ard-drive-silver-moon/6335595.p?skuId=6335595

SSDs tempt me, but the only portable one I can find that comes in 4TB is $700. Not sure it makes sense to spend 5x as much for that when USB 3.1 gen 2 is already fast. I’ll wait a few years for the prices to come down.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
I was just wondering if anyone has used a USB-C docking station with DisplayLink, such as the Targus DOCK180EUZ? I want to connect my 12" Macbook to a 4K monitor @ 60Hz, which a lot of DisplayLink docks advertise that they do, together with providing USB 3.0 ports.

I can't quite get my head around it, because a lot of these USB-C docking stations boast that they output 4K or 5K at 60Hz (and sometimes dual or triple display), plus they have several USB 3.0 ports. So, with it being a USB-C device, something's gotta give, right? I'm not expecting miracles, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly gives if you connect to a 4K monitor @ 60Hz and also connect a USB 3.0 drive. Or maybe two USB 3.0 drives. Does the display elegantly reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz? Does the hard drive speed elegantly drop to USB 2.0 speed? Or does the whole system just freak out, with your monitor flickering and hard drives clucking. And these are USB-C docks that I'm referring to, not Thunderbolt docks. They even state in their specs that although you can use the docks with a Thunderbolt port, it will only go at 5gbps USB-C speed.

If anyone could shed some light on these docking stations or share their recent experience it'd be much appreciated!

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I’m looking to get a USB-A hub to be used with a 2018 Mac Mini. I’m currently looking at two options, the only difference is one uses a USB-C and the other a USB-A connection. Both externally powered.

I will be connecting two external HDDs (used to store pictures, video and music), a blu-ray drive and would probably have a lightning cable plugged in to charge the mouse/keyboard.

My question is will there be a difference between these two hubs for my use case? Doesn’t appear that I would get an actual speed increase from using the USB-C port, so I’d like to keep that port free for the future when I’ll actually get a benefit out of it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I’m currently looking at two options, the only difference is one uses a USB-C and the other a USB-A connection. (...) My question is will there be a difference between these two hubs for my use case?

For your use case, probably not. It might even be the exact same chip. I gotta say, the Mac Mini has 6! ports (4 x USB-C, 2 x USB-A). Couldn't you simply hook up all your devices without the hub? Perhaps by replacing one or two cables?

In my experience, introducing a hub sometimes causes small annoyances and problems. A drive disconnects randomly every now and then, an iPhone needs to be reconnected twice, or doesn't charge at full speed, little random silly things.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
yes, it works!
For your use case, probably not. It might even be the exact same chip. I gotta say, the Mac Mini has 6! ports (4 x USB-C, 2 x USB-A). Couldn't you simply hook up all your devices without the hub? Perhaps by replacing one or two cables?

In my experience, introducing a hub sometimes causes small annoyances and problems. A drive disconnects randomly every now and then, an iPhone needs to be reconnected twice, or doesn't charge at full speed, little random silly things.
After I posted this message, I thought about it for a bit. I can probably get away with getting an adapter and a USB-C Lightning cable. If I go that route, any recommendations for USB-C adapters?

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Hi,

I just noticed Apple has an USB C to HDMI/USB/ USB C PD Adapter which is capable of 4k 60hz and charging.

It seems to be the only hub which can output 4k@60Hz does anyone know why?

Last edited:

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Hi,

I just noticed Apple has an USB C to HDMI/USB/ USB C PD Adapter which is capable of 4k 60hz and charging.

It seems to be the only hub which can output 4k@60Hz does anyone know why?

I went with this (Amazon) and it works great... no way to be certain I'm getting 60hz but it certainly provides the resolution.
[automerge]1573473770[/automerge]

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
I'm sorry if this is already posted, I tried to search this thread but didn't find an answer. I'm looking for a thunderbolt/usb-c to multiple usb-c dock. I only need more usb-c ports at a reasonable speed... can't seem to find one... Does anybody have any experiences?

Reactions: jagooch

radamo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
I'm sorry if this is already posted, I tried to search this thread but didn't find an answer. I'm looking for a thunderbolt/usb-c to multiple usb-c dock. I only need more usb-c ports at a reasonable speed... can't seem to find one... Does anybody have any experiences?

I am a new iMac owner and have begun the hunt for one of these as well.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
I am a new iMac owner and have begun the hunt for one of these as well.

Didn't found one yet, I ended up buying an open box Caldigit TS3 plus which is very nice as well. Just wanted to make the full move to usb-c but I guess we have to wait a few years or buy the new XDR display or LG Ultrafine displays which have 4 usb-c ports.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can someone point me to an affordable USB-C or TB3 ethernet adapter that doesn't require drivers? I've gone through two on Amazon and both required a driver, which I'd like to avoid.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What's a good dock for the 2019 16" MBP? I'm looking for USB-C power passthrough, USB-A ports, maybe an SD card reader, and I'd like it to be portable if possible.

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
What's a good dock for the 2019 16" MBP? I'm looking for USB-C power passthrough, USB-A ports, maybe an SD card reader, and I'd like it to be portable if possible.

Check out the Kingston Nucleum. It supports 60W USB-C power passthrough, a USB-C data port, two USB-A 3.1 ports, SDHC & microSD slots, a 4K HDMI port, and is super portable. Hope this helps! :)

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA

Been a while since your question was posted but I came across this on amazon:

I don't have experience with it but they profess to have 100W power delivery and from the pictures seems quite portable. There are plenty of 60W power delivery options but personally I wouldn't settle for those to ensure I get all 90+W of power from the MBP charger. There are likely other options like this one. Try searching "100w power delivery" on amazon.

Reactions: NazgulRR

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
What are people using to keep their cables tidy? I’m back in the laptop game, and I want to be able to wrap my cables up nicely.

Are there good Velcro ties? Or just gently looping them over one another?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
What are people using to keep their cables tidy? I’m back in the laptop game, and I want to be able to wrap my cables up nicely.

Are there good Velcro ties? Or just gently looping them over one another?

I have these. They are long, thin and really handy for computer cables and many other uses.

VELCRO Brand ONE-WRAP Cable Ties | 100Pk | 8 x 1/2" Black Cord Organization Straps | Thin Pre-Cut Design | Wire Management for Organizing Home, Office and Data Centers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AWSQEb7Y64QZC

Reactions: reubs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.