Superior Battery Life on 4S!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brig2221, Oct 18, 2011.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

A little background information before I get into the iPhone 4S battery life. I had an iPhone 3GS from day one some odd 2.5 years ago. I watched the Apple presentation on the 7th, had a temper tantrum, and purchased a Samsung Galaxy SII that day for a myriad of reasons.

It was actually a very fine phone, just not an iPhone, which it took me about a week to figure out. I take the Galaxy SII back and was able to pick up a new 4S yesterday.

Here I am at 12:27pm, and my battery life is at 84%, with some pretty heavy Facebook/Twitter/Email usage throughout the morning.

I can tell you right now that my Galaxy SII would be around 60-65% right now with the same amount of usage. That was one of several reasons why I took the Galaxy SII back, was because I was almost afraid to use the darn thing given how quickly the battery went.

I'm sure the 4S probably doesn't have any better battery life than the 4, but keep in mind that I'm coming from a 2.5 year old 3GS and a Galaxy SII. To me, the battery life on the 4S is amazing! YMMV.

2. wurt macrumors member

posts like this make me think i have a defective 4s. I lose 1% every min while using the phone

3. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Defective, take it back. No way you should be losing anything remotely that close. I typically don't allow most apps to use my location, although I do on some apps that need it. I have iCloud, most notifications, and WiFi, and the battery still rocks.

Do yourself a favor and take it back. Nothing worse than fearing the actual use of your phone based on it losing too much charge.

4. wurt macrumors member

can you do me a qiuck favor and post the first three letters/numbers of your serial #? Mine is DNP, and i've seen other people with DNP having similar issues

5. JustCrusin macrumors member

I'm at 84% with 41 minutes usage and 4 hours standby. Oh now 82% since I checked the usage.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I experienced a problem with my push email accounts that resulted in my battery going down very quickly with my iPhone 4 (iOS 5). If you're using push email, maybe try turning those accounts off and then on again? The chances are low that you'd get a defective battery, but if you think that's the case, Apple will probably run a diagnostic at the store and replace it for you.

7. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it the FCC ID? If so, mine is BCG.

8. wurt macrumors member

no, your phone's serial #, found in general -> about ->

9. tk0084 macrumors newbie

No go to Settings > General > About

10. aneftp macrumors 601

I am having horrible battery problems on the 4S is well.

Of course...I check and my serial number begans with DNP also.

Anyways something is wrong. I posted earlier (had phone off the charger since 520AM eastern time).

It shows Usage as 5 hours and 17 minutes. And standby as 9 hours. It is now 220PM (1420 military time). How is it possible I can have 9 hours of standby time AND also 5 hours of usage time? It should be 1920 (or 720pm) if I had 9 hours of standby and 5 hours of usage. Now I am down to 20%.

And there not possible way I can have 5 hours of usage time. I left the phone locked in a drawer at work the past 2 hours (had notification off, wifi one, only 6 texts received). I doubt I've touch this phone for more than 1 hour today.

11. $inner macrumors newbie

2 hours 35 usage and 8 hours 8 standby and im at 60 %

my serial number starts with dnp

12. midnightfalcon macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine starts with dnp and also has battery problems

13. ama0219 macrumors member

I'm at 95% with 3 hours 8 minutes standby.

Serial starts with DNP.

14. appleisgod macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

2 hours and 14 minutes usage
    3 hours and 23 minutes standby

Battery is down to 56%, no where near the performance my 4 got.
    Serial starts with C39

15. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

iPhone 4s. Diagnostics logs. Lots of low memory errors
    Have any of you guys checked your diagnostic logs under
    Settings -- - about--- diagnostic and usage data --- diagnostics and usage data ..???

I can pretty much guarantee you will have lots of entries in there for "low memory" ?

Maybe this is linked to the battery drain we are all seeing. Something running in the background causing it to eat up all the memory.

Have a look and let me know ...

16. midnightfalcon macrumors member

4 hrs usage and 8 hours standby and I had to plug it in twice already

17. scousers macrumors member

Mine is also C39
    Down to 17% battery after 18h7m standby and 3h51m usage
    Not great.

18. appleisgod macrumors regular

You're right, I have a bunch of low memory on that list. What does that mean?

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm at 5 hours usage and 18 hours standby. My battery's at 17%

20. mac-slap-happy macrumors member

In my situation, I'm almost positive the poor battery life I'm seeing results from not being able turn off 3G under network preferences.

On my iPhone 3GS (which I've had on iOS5 for a little while now), I didn't notice any real difference in battery life as compared to iOS4.x. The big difference is that I always kept 3G turned off until I needed it. Most of the time I'm near a wifi hotspot, so I do not need the battery usage 3G requires most of the time. Without this option on the iPhone 4S, I'm seeing horrible results as compared to old 3GS.

I have about 4 hours of talk time today, and about 3 hours of standby. I'm down to 30% already. The old 3GS (with 3G turned off) would get me through the entire day with no problem. Now, it's not even 3PM EST and I'm already back on the charger. Not real happy about the battery at the moment.

21. aloecool macrumors regular

I just looked and also have a ton of lowmemory entries. My battery drains at about 1% per about a minute of heavy usage. Compared to my 3GS, I guess I get a little more battery life out of it, but I just assumed it was the norm? I average maybe 1hr and 15-20min for every 25% with heavy usage (surfing the net with 3G, game/texting apps)...should I be concerned?

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

23. NacSquared macrumors regular

NacSquared

Mine is awful. I'm wondering what the problem is.

Serial number starts with C39.

24. slw23 macrumors newbie

Usage 2h 42min
    Standby 3 hrs

I took it off the charger at 8:45a PT and I'm down to 53%?!? :eek: I have barely used my phone this morning, just some light texting and a few emails, not sure where the 2h 42m is coming from??? I even changed my email from Push to Fetch every 15 to try to preserve, and only 7 apps open in total.

This issue is really concerning...

25. puma1552 macrumors 601

I can't kill my battery, lol. I'm beyond 36 hours of standby and five hours of usage with the screen on FULL brightness, which includes nearly an hour of youtube, a bit of music, texting, dinking around, playing games, and I have basically everything but iCloud and bluetooth on, and I still have 16% battery...I'm trying to kill it so I can recharge/calibrate, but it's proving difficult, lol.