Supposed elongated home button...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk1wbw, Aug 20, 2011.

1. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

So I was thinking about all these mockups of the new iPhone model with the elongated home button.

Any possibilities that this button being elongated could mean a new left and right click feature? Is that possible with iOS?

2. Zeisen55 macrumors member

that seems unlikely, but we won't know anything for certain until the keynote

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. MagnusF macrumors regular

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I bet it is a multitouch button. You see, multitouch has become so common with iOS now, that Apple themselves are trying to reduce the size of it like everything else: battery, width...etc. (Obviously I am not serious)

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I cannot think of a single useful purpose for an elongated home button besides a gesture sensor. But in al honestly I would gladly trade my gestures on an iPhone to have a circle home button back. I don't like the look of an elongated home button.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wrong.
    It's a bluray player.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

This would be kick ass. If the next iPhone has an elongated home button that doubles as a legitimate fingerprint scanner that would be awesome. No more pass code unlocking, just hold your finger on the home button and your iPhone instantly unlocks, but only for your fingerprint. Kick ass right there.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It was a joke bro:D

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I think a gesture area can highly benefit the iPhone if apple can incorporate it the right way. Currently the glass area to the left and right of the home button serves no purpose yet it's about 10% or more of the front glass space. Quite a bit to go to waste in apples eyes imo

11. SR71 macrumors 68000

I know haha, I'm just saying that if that's actually what it was for, it'd be kick ass lol. ;)

12. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

It's kind of weird that almost all the new iPhone leaks indicate a longer home button, but I wouldn't really know what it would be for.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Gestures aren't for the masses. Most people I know have never even heard of gestures and would hate to be forced into using them on a regular bases, so it's hard to believe Apple would develop this into the iPhone.

Gesture geeks are so convinced this is the wave of the future, but it still and always will remain fringe.

I think this elongated home button is just an idea that arm-chair designers have picked up and run with. Don't expect to see it on the next iPhone unless it's just a home-rocker-left-right button.

14. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I hated gestures in snow lion at first. I've grown to love some of them and when I get on my old MacBook miss them dearly. Others I never use and can't even remember what they are. I would rather hit command tab for the app switching than use that gesture. I don't know about gestures for iOS devices I've never wanted to give them a try.

15. shandyman Suspended

Surely it's not big enough for gestures, it looks to be same height as current home button, just wider, i don't see that being enough room for gestures unless you have pins for fingers.....

16. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I doubt that. I mean, I don't see it near future, but it won't always be fringe.

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I fall into this same boat. On my MBP (with Lion), I am using very few gestures. Basically just the one that scrolls and the ones to manipulate my open windows. I could care less about the rest. As for the other IOS devices, I enabled gestures on my iPad 2 and I've never gone back to using the physical buttons. I use the gestures exclusively. But it makes sense on the iPad since there is room for gestures. The iPhone (in my opinion) isn't big enough for gestures. I really don't think it'll work out well. Then again, I was proven wrong when I said touch screen phones sucked and then the iPhone was released....

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

gestures would be horrible on something so small like that. i just tried to emulate that on my iPhone 4 and it would make using the iPhone much harder.

plus, most people use 1 hand to use their phone so these gestures would be useless.

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I believe the home button's size is normal. But there may be LED notifications around it. Possibly for calls, texts, emails etc.

20. sk1wbw thread starter macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

21. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

22. heisenberg123, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed putting a copy of your fingerprints on file would be neat :rolleyes:

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I just emailed Steve about what you said (using the B-R word).

Boy, is he pissed!! ;) :D

24. twitt3r macrumors 6502

It's for licking, "iPhone Taste" is the new brand :rolleyes:

25. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe it's just a forward/backwards swipe pad. I could see that.