Suprise, I'm getting screwed by AT&T again!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scubasteve03, Jun 10, 2010.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Can someone help me out here? I purchased my 3GS on launch day last year and paid $299 at that time. In September I bought my wife a 3GS as well for $199. In September I check my eligibility to see when I could upgrade in case I lost or broke my phone, it said I would be eligible for an upgrade on December 20th. Somehow when we got my wife an Iphone, the "customer service professional" at the AT&T store changed my wife over to the primary account holder without my permission even though I have been the primary for over 3 years. Now when I get my eligibility its giving me the February 20th of 2011 date as my upgrade!! I called last month and to put myself back as the primary. As of today it still shows 2-2011 as my upgrade date. Last week, I called AT&T and they pretty much said "screw you, we can't change the Iphones upgrade date at all." Even when I spoke to a supervisor she said the same thing and was very rude and she stated I was "trying to pull a fast on on AT&T!"
    What do I need to do to get my eligibility changed back so I can get the the subsidized price on the 24th? Everyone else who bought the 3GS on launch day is getting theirs moved up, why not mine? We are on autopay so we have never missed a payment and my bill is over $180 per month with my employee discount from the hospital where I work. If they won't fix this then I am going android for good "or at least until AT&T looses exclusivity." LOL Thanks guys for your help.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

3. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

If you can keep the battery charged long enough to use it ;)

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No suggestions other than take it up the chain of management. When I was younger I took an issue all the way to the CEO of Compaq. His secretary took care of me. :D

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not so sure if either one of you would have qualified for a standard upgrade since you've only been paying over $100 a month since September, not a whole year.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They base it on the last 3 months, not the entire year.

8. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

I picked the Evo up on launch day to see if I liked it more than IOS and...nowhere near as polished of an OS yet, but I really like being able to geek out and change whatever I want to. I had planned on returning it back to sprint on Monday, but now I may stick with it. I am not spending $500 on iPhone 4.
    Yea, you're completely right about the battery, the phone spends 1/2 it's life on the charger. Whenever Tulsa gets 4g I doubt I would use because itit sucks it down faster than ex...umm I mean it has really bad battery life.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Got it. So why didn't the OP leave it as is and allow his wife as the primary to become eligible for a standard upgrade, then do a device swap with her?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

op be a man and take that upgrade from your woman. Tell her her 3GS is still the latest phone on the market and not to question your shiny new toy (i'm jk btw, for you feminazis out there) :D

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Similar thing happened to my brother. He was single phone on an account. When he got married in 2007, he added his wife's phone to the account, making it a family account. Somehow, they put her phone as the primary number, but he didn't find that out until a few days ago. He got his 3GS on the 20th (ordered late) without issue, as he was using an original iPhone.

His eligibility had been moved up from early 2011 to June 21st. Then, when he checked it again a couple days ago, he was at Feb 20th, 2011 again. He called them up and asked what as going on. They told him his wife was the primary account holder, and he was only eligible at 20 months, not 18 months as the primary account holder is entitled to. He explained that she was added to his plan, and he had been on AT&T/Cingular for over 10 years and that it was still the same account number and phone number, so there was no reason for them to change the primary account holder from his number to hers.

They changed him to the primary account number, and told him to wait a few days and he should be eligible again to get the new phone.

12. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm don't understand your reasoning. She got the 3GS 3-4 months after I got it. So I thought since I have had it longer "since launch day," I should be getting the upgrade before her line does. I just don't know why they switched with without my permission and now because of that I am not going to be able to upgrade on launch like 99% of people who got theirs on launch day.

That's awesome they were able to take care of him in his situation. It has been around a month already since they put me back as primary, yet it is still showing Feb, 2011. Let me know how it turns out for your brother.

I am a premier customer whatever that is, do you think if I call the premier customer service number they would be able to work with me more than than the other bunch of winners I have talked to?

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Premier = Corporate customer. Yes, I would call Premier CS and start with them.

14. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Long story short, I was eligible for an upgrade THIS MONTH and now they pushed it all the way until 2/20/2011. I love you ATT! /sarcasm

15. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Have you spoken to AT&T about you situation? Keep me updated as to what happens. Thanks and good luck!

16. JeninNC macrumors member

JeninNC

Hey I will tell you what happened to me. 2 years ago I was keeping an eye out for my upgrade status to purchase the first iphone (3G). A week before the launch of the 3GS, my upgrade status was mysteriously moved to a later date. I called and questioned this and said that is wrong to do that and she said she could grant me an emergency upgrade on any phone, but it would take her a few days to look into the matter. Amazingly I got impatient (my worst fault) and got a pos blackjack (worst phone ever went through 3 before they gave me something else), the day after I purchased that customer service called back and said we're sorry you were elgible for the upgrade to iphone sorry and blamed a computer glitch. I was mad and did not get the 3G (instead last year I got 3Gs). Moral of the story call and question it she somehow knew I had been checking up on my upgrade daily leading up to the launch of the Iphone and somehow was made elgible again after a few days.:confused:

17. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

AT&T and their upgrade eligibility is total crap. I can tell you that I originally bought the 3G at launch as my first phone witth AT&T. A year later I payed the early upgrade price to get the 3GS. Then somehow, 9months later, I was already up for full upgrade eligibility again. (and yes, I am still eligible. I check it all the time.). I mean, with the amount I pay on my bill and by seeing when others were eligible, I should have been eligible in November or December, not as early as March. But whatever. I just give this as an example of their incompetence. :p

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Exactly. Tell her she can go buy herself a new pair of shoes or something. She'll understand then.

19. christyn macrumors 6502a

I happily am taking my husbands upgrade away from him on tuesday :D

20. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I just threw up in my mouth.

I'm the tech geek in my house. My husband couldn't give a damn.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How much is AT&T charging for this service. :eek: :confused:

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, how do I sign up for this? I want a happy ending when I pay my bill each month.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Source?

I have a launch-day 3GS, and I'm not eligible until early '11.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is already moved up, and it's moved up even further (become eligible after one year) if your line is over $100/month.