Suprnova is no more!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
As posted on suprnova.org

Greetings everybody,

As you have probably noticed, we have often had downtimes. This was because it was so hard to keep this site up!
But now we are sorry to inform you all, that SuprNova is closing down for good in the way that we all know it.
We do not know if SuprNova is going to return, but it is certainly not going to be hosting any more torrent links.
We are very sorry for this, but there was no other way, we have tried everything.

Thank you all that helped us, by donating mirrors or something else, by uploading and seeding files, by helping people out on IRC and on forum, by spreading the word about SuprNova.org.
It is a sad day for all of us!

Please visit SuprNova.org every once in a while to get the latest news on what is happening and if there is anything new to report on.

As we wish to maintain the nice comunity that we created, we are keppig forums and irc servers open.

Thank you all and Goodbye!
sloncek & the rest of the SuprNova Team
As the most famous source for torrents I guess they were always going to be made the scapegoat. Looks like the MPAA are getting stuck in!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Someone get hotwire on it, it will officially be his new business venture.

I've been using 123torrents.com more anyways, you guys should check it out.

jon

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
not just suprnova

some actual trackers are down

Definitely Down
TorrentBits
Youceff
Phoenix Torrents

+ Lokitorrent is slow responding & Torrent Box's HTTP front end is down (though the tracker seems fine)

Not a good day for P2Pers

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
thedoc1111 said:
some actual trackers are down

Definitely Down
TorrentBits
Youceff
Phoenix Torrents

+ Lokitorrent is slow responding & Torrent Box's HTTP front end is down (though the tracker seems fine)

Not a good day for P2Pers
Threats and lawsuits possibly?

jon

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
just another casualty in file sharing history

pirates will just have to adapt to another site/method

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
sockeatingdryer said:
Man that sucks! Where else am I gonna get my MOS stuff now? That's the only thing I download.
MOS? Seriously, SuprNova was big but there are many alternatives - not just in the same place. I mainly get TV Shows, PM me if you need a link

Hob

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
So it sounds as though its not 100% gone. Which means that it could always return to its former glory. Maybe they are trying to judge actual interest.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
Why not host a torrent site in Germany or some country that isn't has tight on piracy. Plus I heard that the movie companies are the people going after them and Germany (or what ever county) will not cave into the American film industry. :confused:

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
wdlove said:
So it sounds as though its not 100% gone. Which means that it could always return to its former glory. Maybe they are trying to judge actual interest.
suprnova was getting ~1.5million hits/day. I dunno about everybody else, but I think that might say a little bit about actual interest.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
topicolo said:
suprnova was getting ~1.5million hits/day. I dunno about everybody else, but I think that might say a little bit about actual interest.
Wow, didn't realise they were getting that many hits! There are a lot of other sites around, which were hosting pretty much exactly the same torrents as Suprnova - I wonder how those are going to be affected?

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
The future of P2P...

coopdog said:
Why not host a torrent site in Germany or some country that isn't has tight on piracy. Plus I heard that the movie companies are the people going after them and Germany (or what ever county) will not cave into the American film industry. :confused:
How about China?

Anyways... I wonder about the future of P2P... maybe people will have to resort to running servers offshore in international waters? Or... servers on Satellites in orbit? I wonder if Earth laws have any jurisdiction in space? If they do... then it would be hell difficult to police. :D

I don't think that the P2P problem will go away. Maybe the industry should be looking at why people share "stuff".

Anyway I'm proud to own all the software on my Palm T2. (it's all affordably priced, and you get to use it straight away). Sad to see suprnova go, but it was bound to happen. :)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
zv470 said:
How about China?

Anyways... I wonder about the future of P2P... maybe people will have to resort to running servers offshore in international waters? Or... servers on Satellites in orbit? I wonder if Earth laws have any jurisdiction in space? If they do... then it would be hell difficult to police. :D
It would be pretty hard to replace a burnt-out hard drive in space, don't you think?

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Sun Baked said:
Yep, lawsuits file on Dec 14th against server operators.

Hollywood Sues Computer Server Operators

Probably took them a few days to get the ISPs to take them offline.
I've been racking my brains for about 10 minutes and can't think where I read it but I was searching for info about XBOX modding and saw the front page story on one of these sites and this guy said his friend in france had had his server raided by the police and was pretty shook up and had taken his server offline - I think it was a pretty big one. But the day after SN is down... Why don't they just roll over and give up? There's always gonna be pirates, there's always gonna be people who don't wanna pay.

In my case - I'll pay for what I can afford - I have bought many more dvd's than I've downloaded films - I just can't afford absolutely everything I want - being a student and all...

It just gets me down when most of what I do is download TV shows... The TV companies have NO EXCUSE to come after me - it's like taping something off the telly...

Trying NOT to incriminate myself here, but thought I'd put my view across!

Hob