Sure glad I kept my unlimited data plan!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Wow!!!

Just kidding, that's cool bro. I don't have the unlimited data plan for the iPhone as I was late to the game but I do have it for the iPad. I barely ever go over 2 GB in a month using the iPad and I don't ever see how I would be able to use that much data on the iPhone.

2. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'll tell you how: Netflix App. Enough said, haha.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Hey SVT, is it really worth getting an iPad? I mean I already have an iPhone 4 and too me it's just a blown up version. I've been debating about this for a while now.

4. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Honestly bro, I would ditch my iPhone 4 in a second if I had to choose between it and an iPad. I use the iPad for reading news, editing work and school documents, doing my journal and taking notes, playing games (seldom), watching Netflix, browsing the web, and handling email. I use my iPhone 4 for making phone calls and texting.

I know there are others that highly prefer the iPhone 4 over the iPad but honestly I could have a Jitterbug as a phone and still be happy if I had the iPad.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I have both and wouldn't part with either one.

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

Wait out until the second generation, trust me, it will be much improved!

7. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Ohhh man, you guys are making me want to break out my credit card and go buy one right now:eek:!!!! I think I would just get the one with the wifi only. No need for me to have 3G access.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Because you have the design plans on your desk?

Obviously it will be improved, but to what extent is anyone's guess.

My iPad will still be teh awesome when the new ones come out (most likely) next year.

9. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yeah, I'm certainly not going to wait until they do a hardware refresh if I do buy one. I would buy the current one and I'm on Apple's site seriously considering buying one right NOW!!!

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Get it, you'll love it.

You can always sell it when new ones come out. I'm sure it will retain a good portion of its value quite well.

For example, I sold my 32GB 3GS in July for $400. I would imagine iPads would similarly hold their value.

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Mine has basically replaced my MBP for almost everything I do. All that I use the MBP for now is heavy photo edits, and one flash based game I still play. Oh, and syncing my iDevices... LOL

12. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

As a college student, the iPad never appealed to me or anyone on my campus. I have yet to see a student using/carrying an iPad. The features just aren't there, yet. I really don't know how the iPad could get strengthened for me to actually want one to use over my Macbook. People say it's the middle of a Laptop and a smartphone but I have both. If my phone can't do a task, my laptop sure can.

13. agentsim macrumors newbie

iPad's greatest strength and weakness is iOS. iOS makes it easy to use, easy to get apps and instantly popular.

But at the same time it cripples functionality compared to a desktop/laptop. I wonder if Apple will diverge iOS for iPad over time...

14. jas1973 macrumors 6502

Boy am I glad I wa able to get my unlimited plan back again after foolishly thinking the 200 mb was enough lol

15. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Theres a huge thread on how to go from 200MB plan to Unlimited Data plan on MacRumors. And I believe if you do it with a first generation iPhone then you can even get the unlimited plan for $20 a month. I may be wrong though.

16. jas1973 macrumors 6502

Damn now I'm gonna be in search of a 1st gen iphone

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No thanks. I'll sell mine and get a new one for probably $100 or so out of pocket and will have had a year's enjoyment while you waited.

18. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Wow that's alot of data. I have the 2GB Plan and didn't even use 1GB last month. I didn't even have a WiFi connection back at home then. But I can see how Netflix and other video would drive up the data usage. Sadly, i guess I'm part of the 98% that doesn't use much data.

On the iPad, my wife and I love it. We got the 3G model and it's really handy when we are out and about. We live in a 3G area so it's very nice. We use it to read news feeds, RSS feeds, Websites, etc. Basically, everything that doesn't need flash is done on the iPad (btw, that's alot). The instant on is great to look up something while you are watching tv or need something quick.

19. jas1973 macrumors 6502

I dont see the iPad holding it's value as well as the iPhones have because the iPad does not require a contract to buy. I would rather buy a new iPad for 100 more then someones used one. 200-300 less then I might think of buying used. Usually I dont buy anything used unless I can save 50 percent. But it will be fun to see what the ipads will go for.

20. jason221 macrumors 6502

That's from June 24th to today, by the way. Netflix, 720p YouTube, and tethering can burn through data pretty quickly.

21. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You may still be able to get it, but it won't stay at $20. Those of us with 1st gen phones who switched got bumped to the $30 unlimited plan when we moved to the iPhone 4. They grandfathered your eligibility, not the price, since you're switching from EDGE to 3G. And you start paying for texts as well; the first 200 were included in that $20, and they aren't included with the 3G data plans.

Good thing the iPhone 4 is worth the extra $15 a month it costs me over my original iPhone! LOL

22. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

The Netflix App really eats data like crazy. I just started watching Godfather on my iPhone, I can't wait to see how much data this movie eats up.

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I used the netflix app for about 2 mins on 3G and about 20 on wifi. Is it just me or is there way better quality on wifi than on 3G?