Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
went to Microsoft store and asked about this, they told me they have seen earlier versions get so hot that the glue holding the screen melts. funny as i am typing this the display driver failed and restarted again <sigh>

Never buy a tablet that has a 5 watt or hotter CPU inside. Surface Pros are fail IMO while Surface 3 OTOH is a good device since it doesn't get hot, only warm.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Never buy a tablet that has a 5 watt or hotter CPU inside. Surface Pros are fail IMO while Surface 3 OTOH is a good device since it doesn't get hot, only warm.
when both of my Surface Pros were working correctly without software issues, heat wasn't an issue. Until chip manufacturing reaches a new level the performance hit of an arbitrary 5W level wouldn't interest me at all. surface 3 is a good example

Renzatic

Suspended
FYI guys, a *possible* solution for connected standby issues is to upgrade the ACPI control method battery entry drivers in device manager, under Battery. You will see the stock driver is from 2006, if you just update driver it will find ones from NEC from 2013. Supposedly this helps, but I can't say for sure.

Double quote!

So I did the update. To test it out, I charged the SP4 up to full, then unplugged it around 2:30 AM ish and put it to sleep. I just now opened it up at 11:49 AM, and found I still had 97% of my battery after all that time. So after about 9 hours, I've only lost 3% of my battery.

Since this has only been one test, I can't tell if this is all due to a fluke, or something else strange going on behind the scenes, but for now, the update seems to have made a MASSIVE amount of difference in battery drain while in standby.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So I did the update. To test it out, I charged the SP4 up to full, then unplugged it around 2:30 AM ish and put it to sleep. I just now opened it up at 11:49 AM, and found I still had 97% of my battery after all that time. So after about 9 hours, I've only lost 3% of my battery.

Sounds like it went to sleep without connected-standby. Try pinging it if it responds before you wake it back up. That's one area where Intel is deficient compared to ARM.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I've been an Apple fan boy since 1988. I suffered through the 1990's and the "near demise" of Apple and I have never owned a MS product. (Office, Windows, PC, XBox, etc)

HOWEVER...

I do like SP4. It would make an excellent drawing tablet. I would have probably already picked one up if they hadn't switched to the NTrig technology (in the SP3) that has caused a lot of artists some hassle. Still, I have to say, it's a nice machine and I'm surprised I want it so much.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
The upcoming iPad pro got me interested in tablets with a digitizer pen. I wanted something for technical note taking, and after some research bought the surface pro 3. I was frustrated by the size of the device, wanting something that could function as a tablet. When Microsoft announced the surface book I returned the surface pro, intending to buy the surface book when it came out. But after some thought and research, I decided I didn't particularly want to disconnect the tablet from the keyboard; I just wanted something where I could fold the keyboard backward and draw on the screen with a pen. So I bought the Lenovo Thinkpad 14 through best buy, and bought the digitizer pen through Lenovo. The latter just arrived, and so far I'm happy with the set up.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
They really want you to use an MS account, that's for sure. If you don't want to use one at all, the only way you can get around it during the first boot setup process is to not log into wifi when it prompts you to. It'll automatically create a local account then.

But of course they don't tell you that.

You can also do it when creating an account during the installation and setup process, but it requires something like clicking 'cancel' (I can't remember exactly but it's entirely not intuitive) and then it gives you the option to create a local account. I do it all the time because I can't set up new machines with our domain account until after I log in with a local account.

A few issues with my 4...

- Hello Me (or whatever it's called) login is broken. The damned thing never recognizes me, and I spend 10mins trying to get on because it makes you wait that long before eventually offering a bypass. I gave up on it.
- Generally less stable than my SP3... bugginess in quite a few areas
- Slower logins and wakes for sleep. Don't know why it all takes so much linger than my SP3?
- Wakes form sleep for unknown reasons... Seems every time I put the thing asleep at 100%, I wake it at 50 or less
- I hear the fan as much, or more, than my SP3

Now, there's certainly lots of good about this system, but nothing jaw dropping over my SP3. I think I'll bring it back and wait for the bugs to be ironed out, or just wait for the SP5? Had planned on trading in my SP3 for it, but that's now feeling like a more reliable system.

Then again, there's a firmware upgrade waiting for me. Maybe I'll give it one more shot?

... installing the firmware - there goes the fan noise???

UPDATE: Don't want to sound overly negative. I realize that much of this is firmware & software related. But the SP3 was just such a revolutionary device that I was really hoping the 4 would bring it to the next level. For now, I'm thinking that my 3 is good enough.

I'm really tempted to upgrade but your issues are pretty much what I'd be worried about in leaving my SP3 which has become rock solid, cool, quiet, with good if not yet great battery life over the past month or so of updates. With the new type cover and pen I'm happier with it now than I've been in the year I've owned it.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Just wiped the software in my SP4, and bringing it back to the Microsoft Store tomorrow. I am, however, keeping the new keyboard for my SP3. Oddly enough, the SP4 choked and bombed, when I tried to wipe it. Pretty sure it cleared all my data, and I didn't yet have much on there anyhow, but it failed during the OS reinstall process. And this is typical two what I've been seeing with the SP4.

Overall, if I didn't already have a very solid SP3, I'd keep the SP4. But just not enough of an improvement over my 3 to warrant the cost and hassles. I'm pretty sure, since most of what I've seen are software/firmware issues, that things will get much better over time. But I just can't trust it, in its current state, over my rock solid SP3. Since I can't afford to keep both systems, SP4 is going back.

I'm really tempted to upgrade but your issues are pretty much what I'd be worried about in leaving my SP3 which has become rock solid, cool, quiet, with good if not yet great battery life over the past month or so of updates. With the new type cover and pen I'm happier with it now than I've been in the year I've owned it.

Renzatic

Suspended
Sounds like it went to sleep without connected-standby. Try pinging it if it responds before you wake it back up. That's one area where Intel is deficient compared to ARM.

I've tried pinging it on the network twice now. First while I had it asleep all night, and just now while I have it closed and on the charger. Timed out on both.

So at the very least, it isn't fully accessible on the network while in a low power state.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I finally had a chance to use my new keyboard. I was debating whether to keep it or take it back (still in the packaging but I bit the bullet and wow. It is great. I was using my SP3 last night in my recliner and the key action was much improved, the backlighting was a Godsend and the trackpad was a bit better.

Renzatic

Suspended
I finally had a chance to use my new keyboard. I was debating whether to keep it or take it back (still in the packaging but I bit the bullet and wow. It is great.

I'm surprised you even had to debate this. The new keyboard is easily THE most immediately noticeably improved thing to come along with the SP4.

I'm willing to bet that if I had to stick with the SP3 style keyboards, I'd probably be using mine as a tablet far more often than I current am. I only wish the trackpad was just a little taller so I could scroll to all 4 corners of the screen without having to lift my finger.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I love OSX for my computers but for my tablet, the SP4 is awesome. I had the SP3 and never bought the Type Cover. But the first thing I bought with the SP4 was the Type Cover.

Computer = Mac Mini
Tablet = SP4
Phone = Android

Reactions: Fancuku

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love OSX for my computers but for my tablet, the SP4 is awesome. I had the SP3 and never bought the Type Cover. But the first thing I bought with the SP4 was the Type Cover.
The new type cover is night and day, I cannot believe how good it feels. The track pad is better, but its not up to the same Mac trackpad level but its a bit better.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The new type cover is night and day, I cannot believe how good it feels. The track pad is better, but its not up to the same Mac trackpad level but its a bit better.

Feel the same about the trackpad. The one on the Mac is better and also the one on my Dell 2 in 1 is also (just wish the whole unit was less bulky than it is).

I keep trying the SP4 at BB but I am not going to spend on it and end up having to buy the keyboard which adds to the cost also and for which I am not comfortable with using its trackpad to begin with.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's not as good as my Mac now, but it's much better than it was before, and as good as any Windows trackpad I've used. I could easily live with it as my primary mobile input device. The only real complaint I have with it is not immediately sensitive to small scrolling movements - you have to give it a relatively large movement to get it going, then it responds as well as my Macbook - but the Macbook is that sensitive instantaneously every time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and end up having to buy the keyboard which adds to the cost also and for which I am not comfortable with using its trackpad to begin with.

I agree with you whole hardheartedly, I think its ridiculous that MS charges for the type cover when in actuality its needed to use the SP4 to its fullest potential. Now with that said, Apple does the very thing, i.e., iPad pro, you need to buy the type cover (or what ever they call), That of course doesn't make it right, but pointing out Apple has taken the same approach.

Reactions: spinedoc77

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I agree with you whole hardheartedly, I think its ridiculous that MS charges for the type cover when in actuality its needed to use the SP4 to its fullest potential. Now with that said, Apple does the very thing, i.e., iPad pro, you need to buy the type cover (or what ever they call), That of course doesn't make it right, but pointing out Apple has taken the same approach.

I think some folks just want a larger Ipad and don't use a keyboard on their current one anyway so will not add it on to the Pro. The cost is a bit outrageous if you ask me.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Feel the same about the trackpad. The one on the Mac is better and also the one on my Dell 2 in 1 is also (just wish the whole unit was less bulky than it is).

I keep trying the SP4 at BB but I am not going to spend on it and end up having to buy the keyboard which adds to the cost also and for which I am not comfortable with using its trackpad to begin with.

Do what I did. Have them price match the Microsoft Student price. I got the 256GB/8GBRAM/i5 with the Type Cover for the the $1299 retail price of just the SP4.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013

Selling the cover separately allows people people who want to use a usb or bluetooth keyboard do so without paying for a cover they don't want. It also allows people to buy an sp3 and get an sp4 cover. or even the sp3 cover with an sp4. I don't see how offering flexibility is a bad thing. Obviously Microsoft is going to charge for the cover one way or another, whether it's sold separately or part of a package.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I understand the logic, but I think overall in my flawed common sense the majority of people will get the type cover. MS did this purely to keep the price at a certain level. You're right a small minority do buy it w/o the type cover but I don't believe those numbers are high enough to justify MS' splitting it out like they did.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Selling the cover separately allows people people who want to use a usb or bluetooth keyboard do so without paying for a cover they don't want. It also allows people to buy an sp3 and get an sp4 cover. or even the sp3 cover with an sp4. I don't see how offering flexibility is a bad thing. Obviously Microsoft is going to charge for the cover one way or another, whether it's sold separately or part of a package.
It's obvious that Microsoft knows that the Surface line (in actuality) "requires" the keyboard cover. Microsoft never produces an ad for the Surface where it is showcased as a tablet...the ads always include the keyboard cover. 2nd clue, Microsoft doesn't even offer a smartcover that doesn't have a keyboard. 3rd clue, the tagline for the Surface is "the tablet that can replace your laptop". In order to be a laptop-equivalent, it's going to need a physical keyboard.

I understand the logic, but I think overall in my flawed common sense the majority of people will get the type cover. MS did this purely to keep the price at a certain level. You're right a small minority do buy it w/o the type cover but I don't believe those numbers are high enough to justify MS' splitting it out like they did.
Yes, it's pretty obvious.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm spending more time with the device, and I must say, I like it a lot. There are things that my Mac does better, but there are others the Mac just can't do. Like the attached. A handful of drawings I made in Autodesk Sketchbook.

I am not impressed with the Type Cover, however, and think that will be going back. Scrolling isn't as smooth as a Magic Trackpad I tethered to it. And I *think* the Type Cover has a pretty large effect on battery, too. A bluetooth solution is, I think, better.

Attachments

• bike 11.06.15.jpg
    bike 11.06.15.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Calvin 11.08.15.jpg
    Calvin 11.08.15.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Calvin and Hobbes 11.09.16.jpg
    Calvin and Hobbes 11.09.16.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 135
  • dexter 11.6.15.jpg
    dexter 11.6.15.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 119
  • Eames 11.1.15.jpg
    Eames 11.1.15.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.