Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
My final thoughts:
-Considering the Surface Book, I knew this was going to cost a kidney, but not START at a Kidney.
-GPU is still a lot better than the current iMac, but I'd feel weird spending $3000-$4200 on computer with a 980M when they could've fit an MXM 1070 or 1060 in the same TDP. If you're going to use NVidia, at least use the latest GPU.
-No pure SSD option is also pain point. I will not buy another computer with a HDD in it, period. Apple, Microsoft, or whom can add whatever BS branding they like("Fusion" "Rapid" :rolleyes:); A HDD is still a HDD.
-The ability to have such a large digital canvas could definitely eat into the iMac among creative design professionals.
-Kind of related to price, I'm surprised there isn't a smaller 21-23" model. The starting cost would've probably been $2000 at least, but that's still better than $3000.

Juliemcg1

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Colorad
Steve Jobs had exactly 6 brilliant moves that set a trend for a period of time.
1. The Apple II
2. The 1984 Mac
3. The iMac
4. The iPod
5. The iPhone
6. The iPad

Since 2011 Apple hasn't set any new trends, but added variants on a theme and incremental improvements and don't you dare say that the Apple watch has set a trend.

As someone who's started his computing career on an Apple II in high school, I was certainly a longtime fan of Apple's achievements, but this superiority complex thinking has to stop. You have no idea how tired I am of PC vs Mac wars.

Windows is mature and as capable as Mac OS. In some industries, Apple is clearly lacking and falling behind W10.
Have a read of this: https://cdm.link/2016/09/apples-relationship-pro-music-needs-mending/
Case in point, it's more about APPS today than the underlying OS. It's like the engine in your car. I enjoy the drive and not tinkering with greasy parts.

Serious computing hardware wise, Apple is at least 2 years behind everyone else. They've developed iPhone tunnel vision and have ignored their roots.

I for one welcome Microsoft's competition. Someone's got a light a fire under Apple's ass.
Hey, you never know, maybe that new AIO box will be easy to hackintosh.
[doublepost=1475934839][/doublepost]

You've clearly shown to be a W10 novice and harping on your point about Mac OS being better is simply laughable at this stage. "The list of advantages is truly bottomless" - Are you serious ?

I'd say W10 & MacOS Sierra are 50/50 overall but depending on your personal or professional needs, one can trump the other anytime. Many of us use both for different purposes. Great if you prefer MacOS, but please stop with the generalization that Mac is better than Windows. It's not!

A little something about mice and things. Excellent read!
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/05/16/creation-myth

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I've just had a look at the promotional video for the big-ass tablet computer from Microsoft... and I hope they have the best palm rejection in the world, because using that thing to draw without resting your palm or even your full forearm on the screen - if you want to go to the top corners - is going to give you a bad case of gorilla arm very, very quickly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and I hope they have the best palm rejection in the world,
They showed that off in the presentation, Panos rested his right hand on the display while using the stylus. He spent a few minutes noting the palm rejection technology being used.

Reactions: v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
-Kind of related to price, I'm surprised there isn't a smaller 21-23" model. The starting cost would've probably been $2000 at least, but that's still better than $3000.
This might be a scenario like what Apple did with the 15" rMBP that they released in 2012. Release the larger model first, then create the smaller, lower-priced models about six months to a year later.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
In lieu of sounding like an Apple fanboy I'm not impressed especially at the price.

But to be honest that doesn't look like a product that's geared toward me anyway.

It does look nice though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In lieu of sounding like an Apple fanboy I'm not impressed especially at the price.
If the price point was 2k, then I could see myself being tempted, but at 3k, there's no way I would get it, plus my wife would kill me if I spent that much on a computer.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Dunno, probably because I've been using makes for decades now and have watched Apple's steady decline of support toward the pro market?

Yeah, what I'm getting at is why are they doing that - and trying to imply that their focus on other devices is because that's where the money is.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yeah, what I'm getting at is why are they doing that - and trying to imply that their focus on other devices is because that's where the money is.
Their focus is on other devices. Most of their revenue comes from the iPhone.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I like the Surface Studio. It's a bit much for my needs and that price is scary, but I know a lot of visual artists who are really, really excited by this thing. Animators, illustrators, they can't wait to work with surface and that dial.

I'm waiting to see how it works with zBrush.

Reactions: tubeexperience

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
If the price point was 2k, then I could see myself being tempted, but at 3k, there's no way I would get it, plus my wife would kill me if I spent that much on a computer.

The price seems competitive enough. First of its kind, a verge large high res (on par with the imac) touch screen with advance tech such as the impressive palm rejection, solid materials from what I can see, and it's even aesthetically pleasing.

It's not cheap by any means, but it does seem reasonably priced for what it's offering

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
This is only niche product because of price point. People don't have to use the touch or tilt functionality if they don't want to.

But, because the product is so expensive for what it is at this point, it most certainly is niche. Only creatives would bother buying it for the tilt and touch/draw functions.

That will undoubtedly change in the next few years as the novelty wears off and price comes down in relation to its specs.

However, this form factor, touch/pencil or mouse navigation, is undoubtedly the new standard in desktops.

You can't claim it's a niche product based on price when a sub par "high end" MBP or "high end" iMac starts mid-$2k's with outdated technology. MS outdid Apple in every respect. Innovation, tech, etc... The only thing that'll keep people from going over is their comfort levels and/or disdain for MS in general. I 100% guarantee whatever Apple releases tomorrow isn't going to compare or compete with the market out there. I love my iMac. But man, that thing is impressive as all hell no matter how many ways one wants to spin it to make Apple out like some superior product.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The thing is $4000 for a comparable iMac. thats $2999

windowspc.png

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't understand the grousing about the price..

It has a 28" 4500x3000 DCI-P3 capable multi-touch screen!

I think there's a great value case to be made, it's a really cool implementation of a use case (artists/editors/designers, etc) and it's some MUCH needed desktop OS+hardware combo competition for Apple.

(oh and it's 3:2 aspect ratio makes me insanely jealous)

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
I don't understand the grousing about the price..

It has a 28" 4500x3000 DCI-P3 capable multi-touch screen!

I think there's a great value case to be made, it's a really cool implementation of a use case (artists/editors/designers, etc) and it's some MUCH needed desktop OS+hardware combo competition for Apple.

(oh and it's 3:2 aspect ratio makes me insanely jealous)

The resolution is less. But, the Cintiq 27QHD is a little cheaper. And, better. Probably. Because you can use it on a Mac or whahaveyou.

I don't think the design of the Surface Studio is anything special, to be honest.

And, to be honest, to say that this is copying from Apple design is kind of a slap in the face of Jon Ivy.

The thing is far from apple products I know of. The Surface Studio is more like the recent smartphones, bezel less mania, tv designs from the past 3 years of looking at products at CES and similar events.

Thank you.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The thing is $4000 for a comparable iMac. thats $2999

View attachment 668202
There are no comparable iMacs. Specs-wise, perhaps, but not for what it is. The display is what's driving the price up. Spec-wise, a comparable iMac is $3400 with a much inferior GPU. I'm not sure where these prices keep coming from. The store is right on their site for everyone to click on.

Reactions: rocknblogger

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
There are no comparable iMacs. Specs-wise, perhaps, but not for what it is. The display is what's driving the price up. Spec-wise, a comparable iMac is $3400 with a much inferior GPU. I'm not sure where these prices keep coming from. The store is right on their site for everyone to click on.
Stop comparing this to an iMac. It's not even close. It's not even close to the 2001 iMac.

The design sucks man!

Visit a Microsoft store to see this thing in real life and then visit an Apple Store and compare the two computers. Also visit an antique store with an old iMac.

You wil be disappointed with that piece of trash Studio piece of sh#t!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Just look at my attachment. That price came from the windows store.

Here's the iMac. I picked 16GB ram only because you can buy the extra 16GB cheaper from any retailer for far less than Apple charges.
And remember this is the older iMac which might get a refresh.
View attachment 668221

Attachments

• imac2.png
    imac2.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Just look at my attachment. That price came from the windows store.
I'm referring to the iMac prices people are coming up with, not the Microsoft price.
[doublepost=1477524326][/doublepost]
Stop comparing this to an iMac.
Dunno if you noticed, but I've been saying that repeatedly.

The design sucks man!
To you, yes.

Visit a Microsoft store to see this thing in real life and then visit an Apple Store and compare the two computers. Also visit an antique store with an old iMac.
I'd rather not.

You wil be disappointed with that piece of trash Studio piece of sh#t!
That is very mature of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.