Surfing the Web with a MacBook Pro 15" Hi-Res (1680x1050)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fantoni, May 23, 2010.

1. Fantoni macrumors member

The new resolution option available for the MacBook Pro 15" (1680x1050) looks very interesting for pixel-hungry applications (photo/video editing) but what about ordinary web surfing?

I fear that on a 15.4" display at 1680x1050 (129 ppi) the text of most web sites becomes really hard to read...

So I need your help. If you own a brand new MBP 15" Hi-Res (glossy or matte display), please post some photos of your machine while visiting a few popular web sites such as:

nytimes.com
    guardian.co.uk
    economist.com
    wired.com
    newyorker.com
    wsj.com
    repubblica.it
    apple.com/macbookpro
    twitter.com/BARACKOBAMA
    jasonsantamaria.com
    subtraction.com
    google.com/search?q=apple
    codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Features

Thanks!

P.S. Please keep the web sites at their standard size (Cmd-0). I know that browsers let users resize web sites (enlarging the text) but this continuous zooming is not bearable for me.

2. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

I'm too busy right now to post any screenshots but I must say web browsing with hi-res is awesome. I have 1.25 astigmatism on both eyes and I can see what is written clearly. maybe matte helps, I don't know.

3. torpy macrumors regular

The HiRes is very nice for browsing the web. I barely noticed any difference switching for a standard res 15". I'll see if I can get you some photos once I've got some time later..

4. Lithium. macrumors newbie

High resolution web browsing is amazing. The fonts are sized perfectly.

With my new MBP with high res display and my old MBP side by side, you can see a big difference - the old MBP's resolution looks as if it was created for blind people - the font's are oversized.

5. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick replies!

I agree that 1440x900 (110 ppi) makes the fonts a bit too large but I fear that 1680x1050 (129 ppi) could be too extreme, especially if you think that the iMac 21.5 has 102 ppi and the iMac 27 has 109 ppi. In fact Apple has a tradition of medium resolution displays for comfortable reading on screen.

I spend many hours a day reading web pages and fonts too small could be unbearable.

Anyway your words are really encouraging... I'm waiting for the photos of your displays (not screenshot) ;)

Fantoni

6. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i got the hi res 15" glossy and honestly i don't see anything outstanding when it comes to web surfing. its probably because i don't have a non high res screen to compare it to. but anyways, the pinch zoom in/out is meant to prevent hard to read text no?

7. eatmyshade macrumors member

eatmyshade

cant you just go to the display settings and change it to the non high res(1440x900)...that's what i did to see the difference

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Myself and some others here agree the hires screen fonts are too small.

Search for posts by 'kilamite' and myself and you can read peoples different view points.

The conclusion should be that you learn you really need to get to an Apple Store to see for yourself, it's 100% personal preference.

Post back what you end up buying and how you like it.

Good Luck!

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1

10. akramer macrumors member

The mess that web browsing became was one of the reasons I exchanged my 1680x1050 MBP for a 1440x900. Increasing zoom is not the same as having graphics be pixel-perfect - everything looks like a mess. I recommend you spend a lot of quality time with a demo unit in the store if you're concerned.

I found that 1680x1050 wasn't enough screen real-estate to be truly liberating (like 1920x1200 on the 17" is) but made everything small enough that I was constantly bothered.

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

couldn't u just set it to the 1440x900 in the display settings like eatmyshade stated?

12. Hadron macrumors regular

No need to adjust display resolution, just zoom the web page to whatever text size you are comfortable with. That way you get the text size that suits you without using non-native resolution - just use the touchpad "pinch" gesture.

It's only UI elements (e.g. menu fonts) where you need to mess with resolution to change sizes.

Edit: Oops, just spotted that you don't like zooming.

13. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I'm really don't understand why we see these hi-res threads multiple times a day here. There's a ridiculously simple setting in Safari that solves this problem once and for all if the hi-res fonts are too-small for you, and you don't like the pinch zooming gesture. Here it is. Set this at about 16 if you want the same font sizes as the low-res display. As a bonus, you can override this setting in either direction by pinch-zooming if you wish.

Attached Files:

14. akramer macrumors member

I tried that, and found it works even worse than full-page zooming. There are all sorts of webpages that don't render properly when you force font sizes to be bigger than intended. It also means that you have to use Safari, which is not my first choice of browser.

15. akramer macrumors member

Are you really suggesting running an LCD at non-native resolution? That makes *everything* look horrible, unless you use a resolution that's a factor of your native resolution.

16. patrixl Suspended

Every browser I have ever used has had that setting, even back in the 90s.

17. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

meh w/e :rolleyes: just thought i'd throw it out their since it allows u to change resolutions (thought that was the reasoning for even allowing you to change resolutions).

18. Sequin macrumors regular

I'll never understand how people find that resolution size to be too much. I've been using it for years. It may feel weird when you first change, but you get used to it. It's no different from when people from went up from having itty bitty 800x600 screens. It feels smaller, but you adjust.

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

That's a no brainer ... now what about the 100's of other app's were you need a magnifying glass to read the UI, lol.

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

These threads continue to confuse me, how bad are peoples eyes that they find the high res screen hard to read? Honestly, it's only 1680x1050.

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats a terrible advice. Everything will just look blurry and messed-up. Its no way like that on screen with 1440 native res.

To really see the difference you need to view both screens in person.

22. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's what I did to decide. I went to the Apple store an put both machines side by side, played around with them for some time and finally decided for the STD RES.

To be honest fonts on hi-res are not that small, but I don't really need an HR display, and I feel more confortable with the STD one.

23. dreven79 macrumors member

dreven79

i have a std res 15" glossy , and web browsing is just right for me. Maybe when they open the Apple Store here , i'll go and see it for myself. For the time being i'm pretty happy with mine.

i dont have much issues with reflection either, as i dont use it in direct sunlight and i dont use flourecent lights at home.

Now to save some dough for that SSD...

24. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately there are not Apple stores/resellers in my area :(

For me the only way to surf the web at 1680x1050 is through your photos/videos. Please, help me ;)

25. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member