Surprised accessories still aren't in stock + bad experience with logitech case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rawweb, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I need to rant...Over the weekend on a whim I decided to splurge and pick up a 128gb iPad Pro. I purchased it at Best Buy to collect reward points and wasn't surprised when the clerk told me they didn't have any of the accessories in stock as I remember several months ago hearing something on MR about it. I walked across the street to the Apple Store and was miffed when they told me there wasn't any in stock. I checked out the smart keyboard on display and wasn't a huge fan of the feel of the keys so decided to pick up the LOGI create keyboard case anyway. I've already exchanged it for another and can't stand the horrible lag and missed keystrokes I'm experiencing. I even tried a fix where folks recommended switching the keyboard to some other international mode. I'm a pretty fast typer and need something that keeps up with me. I was trying this thing out to replace my aging 17" MBP as I really only surf the web, write and respond to email on it these days.

How on earth can these accessories still not be available months after this thing was released? It's a complete joke to me. Thinking about returning the entire kitten caboodle. I love the larger screen of the iPad Pro but hate that my only solution is a 3rd party keyboard case that both doesn't work and adds quite a bit of weight. I really should have read up on this and perhaps waited.

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I went through the same dilemma upon buying my iPad Pro. Here is the conclusion I came to:

If you need to have a keyboard with you at all times, you are better off just buying the 12" Retina Macbook. The weight of the iPad Pro with any of the keyboard cases is going to exceed that of both the 12" Macbook and either of the 2 Macbook Air models.

The Apple Keyboard cover is an interesting option as it is very easy to remove when not using it, and is indeed portable. However, the price is crazy and I agree that it is not so easy to type on. So what I have decided to do is to purchase the Apple Magic Keyboard (the desktop wireless keyboard that comes with the iMac) and have already purchased a nice stand for the iPad Pro that I can use on my desk with the keyboard. When I'm traveling I can live with the on-screen keyboard.

IMO the whole point of replacing a Macbook with an iPad Pro is to save some weight and to have a touch screen. Dressing it up like a laptop makes it more difficult to use than a laptop (no track pad) and no longer saves any weight.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

4. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Haha, intended 'Kit'.

I blame that lag filled missing key stroke logitech keyboard and iOS attempt to auto correct ;)

5. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Spoke with an  rep on the phone this morning and was surprised to hear them side with me in frustrations and speculating what I've read from others on the forum. Said they've been answered a lot of phone calls about the issue. Speculated that some kind of part in the units is causing delays and the powers that be didn't want to hold on the release of IpP for the accessories.

Sounds like a bunch of tom foolery and crap hitting the fan if you ask me. I hope someone is in trouble for this messy product launch. I'm loosing a lot of faith in Apple these days.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 4, 2016 ---
    FYI, at least in southern lower Michigan today a lot of Apple retail stores received the Smart Keyboard today around noonish. I'd been checking for about a week and suddenly saw the green in stock indicator and ordered it immediately and canceled my delayed online order. Typing on it right now. Employee told me it was the first time she sold one. Hopefully if I keep my eye on the pencil I can nab it in a similar fashion.

6. IpadMania macrumors regular

I love it...tons and tons of money in OOS accessories. Cheers

7. rawweb, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It hasn't been "months." It was released at the end of November, and now it's the beginning of January, so... Month and a half?

9. rawweb, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

If like you say it was available in November and December, that constitutes as months (plural) as we're also now in January. Thanks for your critique though, I'm not sure why it's warranted.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To me, "months" in literal sense means more than 60 days, and I wouldn't really use it unless it's been more than 3 months. So it felt like you were exaggerating the situation.

11. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

It is not my intention to exaggerate the situation. I understand what you're saying, but according to Wikipedia it was released on November 11th. That makes 57 days since launch, count includes the US federal holidays.

12. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

The accessories, especially the pencil, are main selling points for the device that separate IPP from other iPads and tablets. There should have been more ready to go at launch. Imagine seeing that awesome demo with the pencil and then getting an IPP and not being able to get a pencil for a month......not the worst thing, but not the best experience either.

13. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

The iPad Pro was announced on September 9. Starting around that date Apple should've ramped up the production of iPad Pros and accessories and they had one month to manufacture enough to meet the demand at the launch date. For some reason it looks like things didn't work out very well and I guess there were problems somewhere on the manufacturing chain.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

For the first time, I'm seeing my local Apple Store with stock of the Smart Keyboards. No Pencils - I've never seen where stock is indicated as available in-store.

Fortunately I was able to purchase my accessories from Best Buy in a reasonable timeframe, but shame on Apple for botching the iPad Pro accessory roll-out.