Surprised iPad 3 isn't back ordered online?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 8, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else surprised that the iPad 3 isn't back ordered online? I mean you can still go and preorder to have one delivered to you on the 16th. It is like there isn't any shortage whatsoever. I'm beginning to think this is Apple's way of combating individual resellers. There will be plenty of stock with no chance of people being able to resell. Maybe only if they are willing to export to another country which hasn't gotten it yet.

2. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Given this is Tim's first major launch as CEO, I wonder if he is putting his stamp on Apple given his experience as a supply-chain guru. It will be interesting to see if people feel it takes away from the allure of their shiny new Apple device to know that it isn't so exclusive after all.

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it could take away a bit knowing there are plenty available. It could also lead people to believe the iPad 3 isn't selling as well even if thats not the case.

I imagine that supply shortages will start hitting once they open up shipment to more countries in the 2 weeks following the initial launch.

4. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Last year was awful. Weren't there no online preorders last year? Let's not forget all the racist idiots complaining about the Asian resellers in NY. Isn't Tim Cook very involved in the supply line of parts?

5. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder this too. I hope this isn't a bad thing.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I actually was. I didn't buy yesterday because I wasn't sure what I wanted and come to find that this morning the receipt date is still showing 3/16.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

To be fair they've been shipping these things for over a week, have clearly been building a LOT of them, there's no credible rumours of supply chain issues and several reports of a serious booking of air freight out of China. Considering they've been on pre-sale for less than 24 hours I'd have honestly been surprised if they'd churned through the allocation this quickly.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, the iPads aren't going to sell as quick as the iPhones. Now, the iPhones would be out of preorders quick. Most people can justify spending $199 for a phone, but some have to think about spending $499 on impulse. I'm sure it's selling fine. Apple probably has been preparing for this.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm sure the delivery dates will slip soon. The Apple TV delivery dates have already slipped to the 19th for some.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Keep in mind that Apple's iPad user base is made up mainly of people who dont even know what a processor is.

Most of those people will see it as just another iPad.

11. BillG53 macrumors member

I was sure the supply would run out in a few hours. The way the Apple store crashed yesterday, I imagine a few hundred thousand other people felt the same way. I think it's great that the supply appears to be holding up. It's about time business started doing business this way. I hope the scalpers are left with bags of iPads and no buyers too. The only thing I'm wondering is if FedEx will be able to "get-er'-done" on the 16th.

12. pmau macrumors 65816

A wild guess, I have no real idea what I'm talking about.

As long as the pre-order button is there, the delivery date will be the 16th.
    When pre-ordering stops at the 16th, the date will shift.

I think that all pre-orders display the 16th. Let's see if Apple can deliver.
    They are probably betting that the demand will be manageable until March 16th.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The preorders will sell out eventually. Apple has just gotten more efficient. You don't think there will still be lines outside the doors come the 16th?

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think FedEx can handle it just fine. They did a remarkable job on the 4S last fall. Plus UPS also delivered iPhone's to some, so it's not just FedEx who has to bear the load.

15. pmau macrumors 65816

It would be interesting to know what percentage of supplies is assigned to the stores instead of online orders.
    Having none in the stores would look bad, so I assume that stores get a large number of iPads.

16. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Another factor vs last year is that preorders opened with the end of the announcement. Yes we were all sitting on the edges of our seats, but we're the minority.

Last year, there was over a week for the media to get the word out before preorders opened.

The measure will be delivery estimates this time next week. Already a couple configs are starting to slip; White AT&T 16GB & 64GB show March 19th now.

18. Oman macrumors regular

Still says 16th for me

19. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is another thing that I have found interesting is that the news media hasn't really been saying much about the iPad 3. I saw just a brief 20-30 second coverage of it yesterday but that is all i have seen. It seems like they would put more time into it because people like to hear about new Apple releases.

20. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Might depend on if you wanted the Verizon or AT&T version I guess.

21. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

64GB white 4G iPad dates are slipping a bit now, but overall I, too, am surprised most models have held out this long

i can't complain though, I wasted 3 days last year waiting in line to pick up an iPad at an Apple store. Two of those time I was stuck behind a pack of Chinese scalpers

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here--just checked and all models show 'delivers on March 16'.

Correction: looks like the white AT&T model's ship dates are slipping now.

23. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

16gb and 64gb White At&T say 19th

24. Coeuspolus macrumors newbie

I started a similar thread that received no responses but my basic hunch is that by keeping supply and demand in equilibrium (if that's their plan) Apple is sacrificing a great deal of buzz, allure and hype--and all of the frenzied earned media the iPad2 launch received, however frustrating it was for many consumers.

25. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Also, I think it was stated earlier that Foxconn's factories have been operation 24/7 since the end of January to produce this thing. That's a lot of iPads.